Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Which is the best of Netgear DG834 series?  (Read 10024 times)

farmergiles

Re: Which is the best of Netgear DG834 series?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2007, 12:34:41 PM »

So overall the Netgear DG834 models are usually good on long lines,am I correct ?

I have another questiion if I may ?

I believe that your noise margin will usually come down every two weeks if your line is stable to a default of 6db.

Can BT set it at the exchange so it is always at a set level say 9db or 12db and it won't come down ?

Can your ISP ask them to lower it from say 12db or 9db to 6.

Or  would the customer be able to override this  with say a Netgear or a Speedtouch and tweak it down themselves to a 6db noise margin ?

Thanks.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2007, 01:44:49 PM »

>> So overall the Netgear DG834 models are usually good on long lines,am I correct ?

Well in the past many users have had sucess with them.  However we cant be blase and ignore what has recently come out about the AR7 chipsets.   I dont think zen would have released the informationation on a whim. There possibly is something but just what the full contributing factors are yet we really dont know - hence the hesitation right now over the whole situation and I dont think anyone would put their neck on the line and say for sure one way or the other.

>> I believe that your noise margin will usually come down every two weeks if your line is stable to a default of 6db.

This has been mentioned before - some users reported that it does.  Ive seen someones do it after 4 weeks.  Ive also seen cases reported where it doesnt. 
Sorry but this is one area where you will find there is little information about what is supposed to happen and no-one seems to have been able to find out exactly just what the triggers are for the reduction of target SNR.

>> Can your ISP ask them to lower it from say 12db or 9db to 6.

Yes its one of the configurable attributes..  earlier this year Mr_Saffron on TBB and James from Plusnet used to have success in getting this done.  However over the past few months BTw seem to be a bit more "no can do" when it came to these requests.  Even many good ISPs can play ticket tennis with BTw of late to try and get this done :/

>> Or  would the customer be able to override this  with say a Netgear or a Speedtouch and tweak it down themselves to a 6db noise margin

The netgear dg834g v1-3 doesnt have this facility..  The DG834gt does as do most speedtouches.
If you use DMT can can tweak your target SNR yourself.

However its important to bear in mind that you are tweaking a percentage.. therefore if your target SNR is profiled at 9dB then you should be able to get it down to 6dB.   However if your target SNR is 15dB, then although you could bring it down to say 12dB, I dont think 6dB is possible.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

farmergiles

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2007, 04:27:31 PM »

Many thanks.

It's all a learning game little by little.   :graduate:

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 01:21:13 AM »

I did this with my draytek and i set an option called ADSL Codinggain 7 using telnet and this basically lowers it by 7db. It was a massive success for me and as kitz say you can do this with DMT with the DG834's. Most chipsets can only lower it by 6-7db.

Plus net lowered mine to 9db but it took them a while as BT kept saying no. The reason they do this is probably because they don't want the phone calls about problems(which it can obviously caused if changed to much. I recommend doing it in small steps(but leave 20mins between attempt as not to flag your line as having a problem(constant resync).

James
Pages: 1 [2]