Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: bt socket  (Read 2211 times)

johnjcb1

• Just arrived
bt socket
« on: April 04, 2012, 10:37:22 AM »

hello
i have just moved into a new build flat, and it has phone sockets in every room, the main one is in the hall it has a front plate which has the phone socket on it and when unscrewed it has a bit still attached which has open reach on it.
what i need is for the sockets in the bedrooms to work, but have been advised that i will need to get a engineer out to charge me to get them started from the main bt socket in hall. does anyone know of a way to do this myself, hence not costing me anything.
thank you

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: bt socket
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 10:51:47 AM »

Hi and welcome

Is the main socket an NTE5 - see http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm ? If it is, then you can wire up the extensions yourself. Just connect terminals 2 and 5 on the back of the faceplate to the same terminals in the extension sockets. Use good quality twisted-pair cable for this.

A better technical solution is to replace the NTE5 faceplate with a filtered faceplate, as described further down the page linked to above. This would give you the optimum signal quality by minimising the amount of wiring carrying the ADSL signals.
  Eric