Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Extending the VDSL2 Master socket into garage.  (Read 11817 times)

toekneem

• Just arrived
Extending the VDSL2 Master socket into garage.
« on: April 02, 2012, 06:35:14 PM »

Hi.Looking for some info.
I have one master socket with the VDSL2 plate in the hall. (no other extensions in the house) I want to leave that as it is, but run the same to the garage where i wish to put my Modem/Router Fritzbox 7390. As the Fritz uses both the data and the telephone connections I believe I would need something like another VDSL2 box in the garage.

Can this be achieved , does it need Openreach, an electrician or can it be done by me. What equipment do I need and where to purchase it.
Any ideas.....

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Extending the VDSL2 Master socket into garage.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 07:15:52 PM »

I can answer the first question quite easily, yes, it can be done.

Regarding the others, it depends on your ability and the relevant tools. You would need to purchase the required length of CAT cable, staples/cleats, a data-extention socket, a KRONE tool.

If you remove the front plate on your existing socket, you will see in the top left hand corner two KRONE terminals. You would connect the Blue white/ White blue wires here. Then at the other end you would connect the same colour wires to the data extention socket.

I'm sure somebody else will have the relevant details regarding where to purchase and pricings. HTH. :) 

toekneem

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 07:54:19 PM »

Hi Black Sheep.
Thanks for taking the time to reply
You say "Then at the other end you would connect the same colour wires to the data extention socket. " I take it that this socket would have both the Data and the phone socket available, as that is what I would need. 

Any way appreciate your help.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 08:05:35 PM »

Alas, no. It only extends the VDSL frequency, not the PSTN (Telephone) frequency.

You could utilise the other spare wires in the CAT cable, to connect to the front-plate of the existing socket, and then fit a telephone extention socket next to the data extention socket.

In effect, you will end up with 2 extention sockets (1 for the phone, 1 for the VDSL modem) but both fed from the same extention cable, just from different wires within that cable.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 08:21:51 PM »

Continuing on from Black Sheep's suggestion, let us say that you are using the blue pair of the Cat5e cable for the VDSL2 signal and the green pair for the telephony.

In the garage I would suggest you fit a dual outlet secondary faceplate. Connect the blue pair to the RJ45 socket (which will accept an RJ11 plug) and the green pair to the telephony extension socket. Neat and tidy. Job done.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

toekneem

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 08:27:45 PM »

Hi Black Sheep and burakkucat, many thanks for the help and advice.
much appreciated.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 09:43:20 PM »

Hi Black Sheep and burakkucat, many thanks for the help and advice.
much appreciated.

You are welcome.

If you have any further questions, please ask. We will do our best to provide you with reliable advice.  ;)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 09:00:49 AM »

Hi toekneem,

Whilst the suggestions already provided will probably work the resulting modem performance could be reduced.
A "defensive engineering" approach might be a more appropriate option.
I would suggest leaving the modem as close as possible to the Master socket and run Cat 5 ethernet cable to your garage, assuming it is within a 100 m cable length.
If WiFi is required a Wireless Router can be positioned in the Garage too.

A DECT cordless phone can usually provide a phone service over a wide area.

Kind regards,
Walter

deathtrap3000

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 06:37:41 PM »

If you remove the front plate on your existing socket, you will see in the top left hand corner two KRONE terminals. You would connect the Blue white/ White blue wires here. Then at the other end you would connect the same colour wires to the data extention socket.
Current openreach guidelines is not to do it that way.
The right way would get a pre-terminated cat5 cable plug one end into the ssfp and cut the other end off and either put an rj11 plug on or terminate it into a rj45/rj11 data socket.
The reason for this is if you were to plug the modem back into the ssfp with the data extension still connected to the terminals on the back of the ssfp then you will see a drop in speeds if syncing at your current max rate and possibly errors due to the signals reflecting down the extension.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 07:28:21 PM »

The right way would get a pre-terminated cat5 cable plug one end into the ssfp and cut the other end off and either put an rj11 plug on or terminate it into a rj45/rj11 data socket.
The reason for this is if you were to plug the modem back into the ssfp with the data extension still connected to the terminals on the back of the ssfp then you will see a drop in speeds if syncing at your current max rate and possibly errors due to the signals reflecting down the extension.

He's not working to current Openreach guidelines though. He's siting his modem in the garage, and I would guess that's where it's gonna stay.

deathtrap3000

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 07:39:45 PM »

He's not working to current Openreach guidelines though. He's siting his modem in the garage, and I would guess that's where it's gonna stay.
I know. I was just saying that if they were to move it back again they would have to disconnect the extension or they might have problems.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 07:42:17 PM by deathtrap3000 »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 07:52:22 PM »

I know. I was just saying that if they were to move it back again they would have to disconnect the extension or they might have problems.

Fair point DT3000. :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 09:52:44 PM »

ACK.  :)

To put your last sentence into a format that certain persons will appreciate, the situation will then be where the hard wired data extension is just acting as a bridged-tap.  ;)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 09:57:22 PM »

Fair point DT3000. :)

DT3000 -->   :drink:   <-- BS

I like to see friendship and understanding prevail amongst all Kitizens.