Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Hello There  (Read 5709 times)

oddlegs

Hello There
« on: March 06, 2012, 06:08:56 PM »

Hi !
I have been gleaning useful information from this forum for some time 'so I thought I might join.
I've retired from electrical / electronic engineering after a wide ranging working life involving everything from 66kV air-blast circuit breakers to 1.4 volt microprocessors. Due to health reasons I had to move into higher education for the final part of my employment.
I have always been more interested in computer hardware than software. I was an early convert to the t'internet in dial-up days and nowadays connect via Plusnet on ADSL2+.
I have found them very supportive when I needed help and speaking as a Yorkshireman, very cheap at £6.49 for Value 10GB/month.
We are located on the extreme western edge of a large northern industrial city, on a 1960's estate connected directly to the exchange about 3 km distant.
It's rather galling that homes about 100 metres away in any direction are PCP connected and able to get FTTC now.
BT tell me they have no plans to deal with exchange connected lines "at the moment".
They tell me that as we are so close to the exchange (3+ km ??) that we can expect high speeds anyway.
In the event I sync at 8+ Mb/s and can download at around 6.6 Mb/s.
This is good enough for my needs at present but it would be nice if higher speeds were available.
I've optimised my internal phone arrangements with the router stood by the Openreach filtered faceplate and connected by ethernet to my desktop and n wireless to my laptop.
I look forward to picking your collective brains in the future.
Regards.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 06:22:58 PM by oddlegs »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Hello There
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 06:22:56 PM »

Hi oddlegs and to the forums

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 06:24:32 PM »

Hi and welcome Oddlegs.

Are you au-fait with 'Telecoms-speak' bud ?? It's just that 'Odd-legs' is another term we use for split pairs.

What a shame your connected as a DEL (Direct Exchange Line), as you are quite right in what you say about FTTP. They are doing FTTP in places, but this is minimal compared to FTTC. Sorry.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 06:28:26 PM »

A very warm welcome, Oddlegs. :)
  Eric

AdrianH

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 06:30:51 PM »

Hi oddlegs, welcome aboard.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 06:32:36 PM »

Hi oddlegs and welcome aboard the forums :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oddlegs

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 07:04:47 PM »

Hi and welcome Oddlegs.

Are you au-fait with 'Telecoms-speak' bud ?? It's just that 'Odd-legs' is another term we use for split pairs.

What a shame your connected as a DEL (Direct Exchange Line), as you are quite right in what you say about FTTP. They are doing FTTP in places, but this is minimal compared to FTTC. Sorry.
Hi Blacksheep,
My somewhat hasty choice of username was more of more of a pun on my lower limbs I'm afraid.
Primary lymphoedema and surgical attempts to help, have left me with a very odd looking leg which would not look out of place in a horror movie. At least the other one looks normal.
My only experience of telecoms was as a young apprentice, when I used to look after a private 200 line Strowger exchange at the firm where I then worked. Clouting stuck line-finders and re-setting heat fuses with a soldering iron was all that I remember. Although the ability to put the "Growler" on a line one of the bosses was using was a definite perk, as was installing very ex-directory phones in skiving places in order to receive warnings that the gaffer was on the warpath.
My only thoughts on FTTP are that it's likely to be expensive compared to Plusnet FTTC.
Regards.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 07:20:02 PM »

Hi and welcome Oddlegs.

Hi Blacksheep,
My somewhat hasty choice of username was more of more of a pun on my lower limbs I'm afraid.
Primary lymphoedema and surgical attempts to help, have left me with a very odd looking leg which would not look out of place in a horror movie. At least the other one looks normal.
My only experience of telecoms was as a young apprentice, when I used to look after a private 200 line Strowger exchange at the firm where I then worked. Clouting stuck line-finders and re-setting heat fuses with a soldering iron was all that I remember. Although the ability to put the "Growler" on a line one of the bosses was using was a definite perk, as was installing very ex-directory phones in skiving places in order to receive warnings that the gaffer was on the warpath.
My only thoughts on FTTP are that it's likely to be expensive compared to Plusnet FTTC.
Regards.

It would appear you certainly have a sense of humour my friend.  :lol:

Although I was around whilst Strowger Exchanges were in use (Extremely hot and noisy), I never had the pleasure of working on them in a maintenance manner of speaking. I was first employed as a 'Sparky' and we used to provide the bus-bar to these racks, but nothing else. As I came in to BT, Strowger and Crossbar and TXE2/4 Exchanges were on their way out ........... namely to poorer countries.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on FTTP, as the one Exchange area around my patch which was due to go FTTP, was halted in it's tracks as they're wasn't enough capacity left on the incoming electric phase supply to be able to support it. ergo, I wouldn't have a clue as to tarrifs. Anyways, welcome aboard bud. ;) ;D

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 09:12:14 PM »

A bit late to the party, however Welcome Oddlegs and enjoy your stay with us.
We are quite light hearted as you may have noticed. From your description of maintenance and such you sound as though you were from my era when starting out in the mill. If it didn't work, hit it with a hammer. The machinery that is.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

oddlegs

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 09:39:47 PM »

A bit late to the party, however Welcome Oddlegs and enjoy your stay with us.
We are quite light hearted as you may have noticed. From your description of maintenance and such you sound as though you were from my era when starting out in the mill. If it didn't work, hit it with a hammer. The machinery that is.
I have resorted to "adjusting" things with a "Manchester Screwdriver" at times in the past, but I have shown my "delicate side" at times. Just after my craft apprenticeship I worked as a research technician at a university fabricating early versions of gunn diodes, using a microscope and micro-manipulators to thermo-bond gold wire links in place between device and mount. I even wrote my name in 5 thou gold wire on the side of a steel sewing needle. Unfortunately I lost it at some point although not in a haystack.
I take great pleasure from the wide range of different technologies that I have worked on after serving that five year craft apprenticeship. It enabled me to work my way up to engineering management positions that were still very much "hands on".