Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wireless Router for a long line (not Netgear)  (Read 11601 times)

DrTeeth

Re: Wireless Router for a long line (not Netgear)
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 09:59:38 PM »

Has anyone any thoughts or knowledge that might help me find a wireless router that I can use on my broadband line?

BT’s line checker gives me this message for my line:
“Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that it is VERY UNLIKELY you will be able to receive 512Kbps or 256Kbps broadband service due to the very long length of your telephone line.”

Nonetheless my Voyager 210 gives me a reliable connection which doesn’t usually drop out more than once a week on average – current stats are:

Statistics   Upstream   Downstream
Line Rate   320 Kbps    448 Kbps    
Noise Margin    7.6 dB       9.0 dB    
Line Attenuation    63.0 dB       31.5 dB    
Output Power    14.3 dBm    12.3 dBm

Can anyone help, please?

Bill

Those figures don't look right. Are the attenuation figures right? Downstream should be higher. Your output power seems low, default output power is 19.5 dBm downstream
Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 05:54:23 PM »

Here's an interesting page from 2wire where they specifically claim that the products are designed to be excellent long line performers.

http://www.2wire.com/?p=205

I wonder if all 2wire's products are equally good on long lines as there are some very cheap 2wire 1 port ethernet modems on ebay.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 06:52:43 PM by setecio »

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 09:31:29 AM »

I have a Netgear DG834Gv3 I think the v3  is a Broadcom chipset and it's a good router  and  also have the Speedtouch 585v6 

It is the new V4 that has the Broadcom chipset, and it's as rare as rocking horse droppings...been looking for one myself.

You're right it is the v4 that has the Broadcom, however there will soon be a new release for the v3 that should make it stable on the intermittent lines.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 10:27:49 AM »

From: http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,1032.msg37725.html#msg37725

So the Netgear v1 v2 were the original long line performers with the AR7 chipset.

The v3 caused confusion because it had the AR7 for its adsl component but a broadcom chipset for its wifi, but once the firmware update arrives, it should be a rock solid bet again.

The v4 now has an adsl broadcom chipset. (Is this good on long lines?)

Does anyone know how the v4 (broadcom) performs or how it is likely to perform on long lines. If it isn't so good, then once the v4 reaches general circulation it won't be a good recommendation since you won't know if you're getting the v3 or v4 ,and it'll be off to ebay for older versions if you want to stick with Netgear for long lines.

The 2wire/BT 2700 and the Speedtouch 585 will be the ones to go for on long lines.

I know that the 2wire can be locked to an ISP (and can be unlocked by users with the right tools)

Can the speedtouch 585 be locked to a particular ISP?  and if so can it easily be unlocked with the right tools ?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 12:55:44 PM by setecio »

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 01:04:14 PM »

From: http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,1032.msg37725.html#msg37725
The 2wire/BT 2700 and the Speedtouch 585 will be the ones to go for on long lines.

I know that the 2wire can be locked to an ISP (and can be unlocked by users with the right tools)

Can the speedtouch 585 be locked to a particular ISP?  and if so can it easily be unlocked with the right tools ?

It probably can but you will be able to flash the firmware to change it i would think.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 10:39:37 PM »

Just found a great site for details of alot modems out there.
http://www.modem-help.co.uk/mfcs.html

The speedtouch 585 seems to have the same chipset as the cheaper wired 510 .... BCM6348
I wonder if the new Netgear DG834G broadcom chip is the same / as good. (unfortunately info is not on that site)

Here is a good site I've found all about unlocking the 2700, but you need to be careful

http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/ir1002700HGV.htm

I will not describe how to reflash the firmware because this method does NOT work on the very newest revision of the 2700HGV hub with Dual SSID.  ie. There is a very good chance of killing the router and there is no way of recovering from this situation at the time of writing.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 02:16:41 PM »

>> v4 (broadcom) performs or how it is likely to perform on long lines.

Little info because its a fairly new router..  however since the broadcom chipsets seem to work ok on other routers I cant forsee any problems. 

Ive know someone who switched to a Voyager 2110 (broadcom chipset) when he was having problems with his line. 
The Netgear DG834 v2 worked fine on it and did help stabilise his line but every month or so the DLM would attempt to lower his target SNR margin back down again.  He went specifically to the Voyager 2110 with the broadcom chipset so that he could use DMT tool to manually change the target SNR himself rather than messing around waiting for the BTs DLM system to adjust.

Aside from that he said performance on the 2 routers were more or less the same.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

DrTeeth

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2008, 10:14:43 PM »

A replacement for the ST 585 v6 is due out in a few months, maybe sooner. Some product info is already available. I've forgotten the model number so cannot provide a link.
Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything