Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The myth of the eight-hour sleep  (Read 3373 times)

AdrianH

The myth of the eight-hour sleep
« on: February 24, 2012, 06:16:24 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783
We often worry about lying awake in the middle of the night - but it could be good for you. A growing body of evidence from both science and history suggests that the eight-hour sleep may be unnatural.

In the early 1990s, psychiatrist Thomas Wehr conducted an experiment in which a group of people were plunged into darkness for 14 hours every day for a month.

It took some time for their sleep to regulate but by the fourth week the subjects had settled into a very distinct sleeping pattern. They slept first for four hours, then woke for one or two hours before falling into a second four-hour sleep.

Though sleep scientists were impressed by the study, among the general public the idea that we must sleep for eight consecutive hours persists ................... (more)

So what did you get up to last night ?  ;D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: The myth of the eight-hour sleep
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 08:10:20 AM »

The trouble with this sort of story is that, if you ask ten 'experts', you'll get ten different answers. I think I'll carry on with my seven hours at night plus a snooze after lunch. :)
  Eric

AdrianH

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 08:15:37 AM »

I always get a thumping headache if I sleep during the day, never feel like doing anythig at all after a nap.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 10:07:16 AM »

That's a perfect example of the fact that people are individuals, and don't all have the same needs for sleep (or anything else). :)
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 11:06:22 AM »

Sleep Scientists  !!   ::)  :'(   

......   being of the female variety I haven't time to sleep   :lol:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 11:43:31 AM »

:-X
  Eric

rickdees

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 01:29:36 PM »

I always get a thumping headache if I sleep during the day, never feel like doing anythig at all after a nap.

Me too, never was a fan of sleeping during the day.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 04:40:18 PM »

Well I shall be alright then haha...with my ailments I never get 8 hours sleep, sometimes lucky if i get three...but around 4 - 5 when all is well is ok for me.  It's when I don't get any all night that jiggers me up for the following day.  Would love to have longer asleep but circumstances don't allow  :(
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 10:22:55 PM »

Me too, never was a fan of sleeping during the day.
Nor me which I used to have to do (through the week) when I used to work the night shift.

Fortunately I don't work nights anymore !
Mike

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 10:48:50 AM »

I am lucky to get 5 hours sleep at night due to pain in my limbs.I fall asleep straight away but within 2 hours I usually wake up and take pain killers

I usually have an hour or so nap in the afternoon as I'm so tired..
Nor me which I used to have to do (through the week) when I used to work the night shift.

Fortunately I don't work nights anymore !

Being in the building trade usually doesn't involve working nights but back in the early 1980's I was working on a large civil engineering project nr Sheffield which was for British Steel.

We use to work a week on nights and a week on days,6 x 10 hour shifts,starting Sunday at 8pm and the last one finishing Saturday at 6am.
I quite liked it tbh,although it was very cold.The only problem was trying to eat something..who wants  to eat at 3am  ;D

I never had any problems sleeping during the day though.

Heres a little story about those days...

Prior to me starting on that site I had been off work for nearly 2 years with injuries I suffered from being hit by a drunk driver while stood on the pavement,anyway before my accident I was working for a company called Henry Boot.My uncle who was also a joiner was working on the British Steel job and said he had got me a place to work with him there(the money was fantastic),so come the first day back in January 1980 I started.
At the time there was a lot unrest in the steel industry and threats of industrial action/strikes were looming.
As we had to be in the union I only worked the 1 day and was then called out on strike !!!.....first day back after nearly 2 years and then worked one day.. :D....is that some kind of record. ;D

The strike lasted till nearly Easter but we left and found a job elsewhere and then returned when it was all over

boxov

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 10:26:43 AM »

Since I often woke up even more tired and grumpy after sleeping in I tried various things. I went to bed at night, as soon as I felt a bit tired and then got up exactly when I woke up without an alarm clock, but when my body felt it was right. Instead of snoozing and turning over for a few minutes again, i forced myself to get up. It showed me that instead of 8 hours or some people claiming they need 10 hours of sleep I do need 7 hours to function properly. Of course I can survive on 5 or six hours aswell, but I don't need more than 7 hours to fell fit and relaxed.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 03:03:30 PM by boxov »

anything