Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Connection of boxes to TV  (Read 3936 times)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
Connection of boxes to TV
« on: February 21, 2012, 11:23:45 PM »

Hi

Is there an easy (ish) way of finding out how to connect the following to a digital LCD 32 inch HD ready TV?  When I say easy, I mean without the need to give full details, makes, models and scart and RF info just to find out?  I know there are many combinations of connecting equipment if you can find it but I haven't be able to find the exact combo for the following to be connected to the tv.  The other boxes are a DVD recorder with integral freeview box, an HDrive box and a DVD/VCR combi.  This isn't for myself so can't give any other details except none of the equipment is HD.

Thanks in advance if anyone can come up with the solution.

Chrissie

Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Connection of boxes to TV
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 07:39:11 AM »

Hello Chrissie

I'm afraid that it's going to be difficult to make firm recommendations without more information. There seem to be three different pieces of equipment with recording capabilities; does the person want to use all three for recording (in which case it can get quite complicated)?

If the hard drive box is the main recording equipment, and if everything apart from the TV has got two scart sockets, then they could just be daisy-chained:

DVD recorder --> DVD/VCR combi --> Hard drive box --> TV

Any other combinations depend on what sockets the pieces of equipment have, and what's actually wanted of them.

Sorry that's not very helpful; maybe someone else can do better.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 08:22:27 AM »

As roseway says it is difficult to help without knowing more about the equipment. However I would suggest that careful examination of the handbooks might give you an idea, the books for our boxes have various diagrams for connecting various boxes (except a hard drive box). Which option to take may have to be the result of trial and error.

One thing to bear in mind for the future is that for HD it is likely you will need to use HDMI cables and that can be problematic because for copy protection reasons you may find some devices will only get sound and not vision via scart so recording may not work!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 09:42:55 AM »

I have found www.radioandtelly.co.uk very helpful for problems like this.  The page that you want is http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/connecthelp.php  where you can click the boxes for the equipment you have and a wiring solution is offered.  Don't know if it would solve your problem or not..(certainly it's got more chance than I have of cracking it!)  :)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 09:52:57 AM »

Hi Guys

Thanks so much for your response...I knew it would be difficult but as I don't have all the info regarding the equipment I can't relay that info unlike it is was me requesting the help.

I think taking it all in all, it will be just trial and error together with referral to the various booklets to try and find the right combination.  I know the main recording will be through the digibox because the vcr and dvd players aren't digital (why he wants them connected other than copying I don't know..sigh).  Anyway I will pass on the help and he will have to sort it lol.  Will go pop into that link you gave jazz but unless it's exactly the same equipment then I'm lost..(doesn't take much ha).

Thanks again, your input much appreciated as usual.

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 07:34:20 PM »

hi
quote  a DVD recorder with integral freeview box, an HDrive box and a DVD/VCR combi.

both the underlined are likely to require scart connections ? .I have a simmilar situation I have a Free toair box (sky) and a freeview box . I have connected these using a powered  scart splitter box  box
Commtel 42532070 Powered 3 into 1 Auto Scart Selector at
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Commtel-42532070-Powered-Scart-Selector/dp/B00469HEO6/ref=pd_cp_ce_1 this enables whichever box is to be used .

Not familiar with Hdrive box connectors
Regards Jeff
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 07:37:08 PM by jeffbb »
zen user