Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Routerstats-----strangeness?  (Read 4952 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Routerstats-----strangeness?
« on: November 08, 2007, 11:12:06 AM »

Usually the daytime Rx margin hovers between 15 and 12 dB. This morning it was 5 to 7 and stayed that way until I had to disconnect. About 15 mins later I reconnected and the reported margin shot to its normal position. It's not as if it was a much longer time or approaching the evening. Is what happened a sign of problems with

The router

Routerstats

My connection

in particular?

Re: Routerstats-----strangeness?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 11:21:40 AM »

Did the sync speed change at all?

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 01:16:16 PM »

Yep, we need a bit more information!

In particular:

• What service are you on (2Mb fixed speed, ADSL Max i.e. "up to" 8Mb, etc?)
  • What speed were you syncing at before and after you reconnected?
  • When you reconnected did your connection speed change at all?
  • What modem / router are you using?

Then we can give you a more informed answer ;)
Chris

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 01:45:03 PM »

Yep, we need a bit more information!

In particular:

• What service are you on (2Mb fixed speed, ADSL Max i.e. "up to" 8Mb, etc?)
  • What speed were you syncing at before and after you reconnected?
  • When you reconnected did your connection speed change at all?
  • What modem / router are you using?

Then we can give you a more informed answer ;)

Hi there, hope this is what's needed

ADSL Max up to 8Mb
Before 5344 After 5120
Connection speed... I presume you mean download speed. No test done at time but speed seems pretty near the same. IP profile  not altered @4000

Netgear DG834G v3 connected by Ethernet Firmware   V4.01.20

Routerstats version 2.8b

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 02:05:29 PM »

From my point of view it looks like your connection had a go at connecting at a high speed and did not like the results.

By this i mean if you took two identical lines but limited one to 3800kbps and then limit one at 5500kbps the one at 3800kbps would have a higher noise margin.

I don't trust BT's equipment to manage my lines so i limit them to what i feel is there best(speed:errors margin - SEM - I made a new acronym  :lol:).

EDIT: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm

James
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 02:09:11 PM by jabns »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 03:21:35 PM »

From my point of view it looks like your connection had a go at connecting at a high speed and did not like the results.

By this i mean if you took two identical lines but limited one to 3800kbps and then limit one at 5500kbps the one at 3800kbps would have a higher noise margin.

I don't trust BT's equipment to manage my lines so i limit them to what i feel is there best(speed:errors margin - SEM - I made a new acronym  :lol:).

EDIT: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm

James
If you are referring to the period prior to my disconnect and reconnection, the router had been on all the day before discontinuously up to then. The previous day until evening the margin had been at the higher levekm but dropping down in the evening and through the night. However, whereas, nornally at the time I viewed the graph the margin would have been at the 12 to 15dB area, thsi morning it was at the lower points mentioned in my OP.

The swings in the evening are so startling that I an wondering if either the Routerstats reporting is naff or the router itself. An example is attached

[attachment deleted by admin]

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 04:22:20 PM »

Well logic suggests that if that graph (or similar) occurs each evening/night it is unlikely to be the router or the software (routerstats) at fault.

You do get a LOT more MF radio "interference" during the winter months - it may be that. It could be that a neighbour (or you) have now turned on central heating - an electrically noisy pump can cause problems for example.

Monitor it for a few days and see if its a regular occurrence.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 05:00:15 PM »

question even then is "Why at a time when the day time margin would apply, was today's day time margin so low, until I dis and reconnected?" was it any or what I put in the OP or a mere coincidence?

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 10:30:40 PM »

Somehow with 2.8b I kept om getting address violations, so reverted to 2.71

I took screen shots of the Rx noise margin graph and one shwing other data. Do they tell anything relevant to thr OP for the period covered of 1 hr 45 mins?

[attachment deleted by admin]

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 02:48:24 PM »

Only tells me that your SNR margin is fluctuating slightly more than I would expect, which indicates some interference. Nothing immediately springs to mind.

Have you tried looking at your internal phone wiring? There's some Low SNR tips here which might help to reduce the interference.

Disconnecting the ringwire is a trick that seems to work for a lot of people, and on the bottom of that page there's a link to Yarwell's blog post about how to do it.

Other than that, I'm pretty out of ideas, it might be just "one of those things" unfortunately.
Chris

tnp

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 02:55:38 PM »

I get similar swings..last night was COLD and my line eventually found stability at 4000, whereas now its happy at 4800..

I am on a long rural line,much of it overhead. Running at 10dB at te DSLAM.

interference could be MW, or it could be simply loads of people with their central heating thermostats sparking away..

Get used to it. A long as its not presistently bad, the odd reset is inevitable with ADSL max.

anything