Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: To buy or not to buy  (Read 36068 times)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
To buy or not to buy
« on: February 06, 2012, 02:32:32 PM »

Hi all

Hubby is thinking (only thinking) about buying a netbook for his use not that we know much about them.  Doesn't want to pay too much as we do have my lappy and the desktop PC...(extravagant or what), but the netbook would be just used when he wants to pop on tinternet and look at things or play a few games etc - nothing spectacular only word games or similar.  So doesn't want anything too fancy or pricey.  Having a look online I saw the AcerONE D257 read a few reviews and it's about 50/50 some like it some hate it - esp the 1 GB RAM which I know is low.

I wonder what you think or would recommend please?  Can you increase fonts on screen as he does have a job to read small print so would like that facility?  We would prefer to buy from John Lewis as they have 2yr warranty free and have bought our other PC's there.  Would look at other places if recommended though.  Thanks in advance for your suggestions, will be interesting to know what others think.

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: To buy or not to buy
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 08:50:59 PM »

...... not that we know much about them..

chrissie,
Basically all a Netbook is just a cut down version of a (Notebook, Laptop, Desktop), and also much lighter to carry around and is designed just to do basic tasks, which is why they do not come with very much RAM, Optical drives or very big HDD's.

Edit:
Small text change.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 08:54:27 PM by oldfogy »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 10:13:10 PM »

I must admit I'd not consider a Netbook, too little power unless all you want is a quick web browse, email & maybe the odd letter et al. I doubt they would be much good for games as they normally have a CPU not much more powerful than a high end mobile phone.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 12:54:45 AM »

+1 broadstairs..

nor me. squidgy little keyboard. chronically shrunken screen res,  featherweight version of windows.. hmm.. a "refurb" or "scratch n sniff" laptop (with full warranty) maybe.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 09:08:48 AM »

Net books are portable and for people who want to take it around with them.

If you are not going to do that buy a laptop.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 09:19:31 AM »

Might be an idea for your OH to consider a tablet(not one to take with water)  ;D

They do seem to be overtaking netbooks in popularity and as he just wants to use it for general browsing/play a few games it might be worth considering  :)

scottiesmum

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 09:33:19 AM »

Chrissie, I've been looking at tablets lately, as you do  ;D  .   I am going to hang on a little longer but the one below has excellent reviews and seems to fit the bill.  I'm not sure if it's more than you wanted to spend. If I were buying one today I would go for this one not least for the excellent after sales service that AICS appear to give.  :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/A1CS-X220-TABLET-ANDROID-1080P/dp/B004F33FJ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328607153&sr=8-1

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 09:54:20 AM »

There is the Asus EeePad Transformer,which is a netbook,but also splits into a tablet

http://www.johnlewis.com/231281912/Product.aspx

Others to consider are the Samsung Galaxy Tab or The Motorola Xoom,not cheap though

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 10:23:12 AM »

Hi all,

Really pleased with all the views on this, thank you everyone for responding.  Not sure what he will decided but lots to show him from here.  As for the tablets, I didn't think it would suit him for typing on screen...though I did like the one Kate's link went to and about the price he was thinking of..ish.  Also like the one Uncy gave too and at John Lewis ...decisions, decisions lol.  Understand about the spec on netbooks though for him indoors who isn't into computers at all and wouldn't use it too much...I just thought a netbook for the occasional use just to get him interested!  Anyway, as I say there's a lot to go on here and to consider so when we have the time to sit and look through again and check out the links we'll see what we come up with.

Thank you again, you always come up trumps here guys and gals and never let anyone down...much appreciated   :)

Chrissie

scottiesmum

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 10:24:05 AM »

The Motorola is the one I like Unc ....  I'm saving up  ;D

scottiesmum

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 10:27:32 AM »

Chrissie,  at a later date you can always buy a case with keyboard, thus giving you the alternative to the on screen keyboard.   OH could put that on his birthday list  ;D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 10:37:31 AM »

I didn't think it would suit him for typing on screen...t

Chrissie I was a 'touch screen' sceptic until I got my Samsung touch screen smartphone last year,and tbh I find it excellent and would have no hesitation getting a tablet now  :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 10:39:46 AM »

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 05:49:16 PM »

If you are  going down the portable route have you concidered a iPad?

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 11:14:45 PM »

If you are  going down the portable route have you concidered a iPad?

Not considered that one but I think the screen would be too small, even thinking now that the netbook might be too small a screen for his lordship.  If he decides it might well turn into small laptop...but we shall see when we go to look so that he can gauge what's about.  Thanks for your help though I appreciate that.