Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Speedtests  (Read 8449 times)

Maturecheese

Speedtests
« on: January 27, 2012, 01:15:06 PM »

Why does the BT speedtest always give a much faster speed result than any other web based speed tester out there?  We are talking nearly double the speed difference.
Blessed are the Cheesemakers

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Speedtests
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 02:40:25 PM »

If you are on BT then you may see a slight increase due to the locations of the speedtest servers which are located sort of as part of the backhaul so depending on your own location then you will almost certainly hit these before 'out on to the internet', they wont be any shaping either.

Double the speed seems a a bit strange... as not ISP in their right mind would shape http traffic, especially to well known speedtesters.
Have you tried a mix of java and flash based speedtesters. 
Out of curiousity may be worth installing something like Net Meter on your local machine then grabbing a file from somewhere like http://fuller.zen.co.uk/test/

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 04:40:26 PM »

I actually see the opposite.

The BT speed test at http://test.speedtester.bt.com ALWAYS shows 1 or 2Mb less DS throughput than speedtest.net / mybroadband.co.uk / BBMax for me (at quiet times).

Maturecheese

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 05:31:32 PM »

Just done three tests

Bt  38717/10000 Profile     24897/6589  best effort

BBmax    27th January 2012 17:22:31    6372 Kbps up    13865 Kbps down

Somethings not right!

.Griff.

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 06:05:17 PM »

Try Speedtest.net again but try the Milton Keynes and London (Namesco) servers. See if they give any different results.
[August 2010 - February 2012]    ---   [February 2012 - Present Day]

AdrianH

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 06:05:42 PM »

Try the same tests from SafeMode with Networking and see what happens.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 09:15:33 PM »

Hi .Griff.,

Perhaps also try a ThinkBroadband test as well. They often produce slightly slower results but don't seem to vary as much as the Speedtest.net ones.

Kind regards,
Walter

Maturecheese

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 11:17:49 AM »

Adrian

I did as you suggested and I was surprised.  One two of the three PC'c on my home network the tests were much faster in safe mode I haven't tried on the third one yet.  This comlicates matters for me unless someone can cast some light on it.  Here are the results from one of the two PC's tested.

normal mode 

Safe mode two tests 

I had the same effect at bbmax.co.uk

Also tried a different server on speedtest.net as suggested but it made no difference

Installed netmeter and peak download in the report is 3.74 MiB/s

So to summarise, the only way I seem to get a fast result is in safe mode on any PC and I eagerly await an explanation from those more enlightened than myself.

Colin
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 01:56:28 PM by Maturecheese »

AdrianH

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 04:00:20 PM »

What antivirus system do you have?
Scanning from safemode removes all the aplications you would normally have loaded under a normal start, some AV systems cause issues with speed tests, indeed BT used to suggest the Safemode way to get a true picture.

Maturecheese

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 05:28:41 PM »

Adrian

You asked what av I am running?

Kaspersky Internet Security on all three PC's  but I have already tried the speedtest in normal mode with Kaspersky shut down and it's still too slow.

My beef is this, with a 800 meter line to the cabinet I should be getting better speeds without having to run in safe mode.  Others on here are getting better results than me and I suspect it's the same old problem, the state of my line.  I know what the final outcome is going to be regarding BT doing anything to help so I don''t know why I persist, it's not good for the stress levels :)

AdrianH

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 05:41:51 PM »

The speedtest via Safemode shows clearly that you are getting the correct speeds for your service.
The BT speedtest is Javascript based, the Speedtest.net is Flash based. Your apparent speed issue is probably being caused by a problem on your PC's.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 06:03:36 PM by AdrianH »

AdrianH

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 06:16:26 PM »

So, things that could be causing an issue, corrupted Flash installations due to using th updater system and not a full uninstall/install.

Conflicts with another application such as another firewall/antimalware or incomplete removal of a previous AV system.

Are Windows Firewall and Windows Defender shutdown, is there any other resident protection running?

Flash based malware is all over the net but getting 3 machines infected is unlikely but possible.

Kaspersky itself could well be the issue, I gave up using their suite long ago as it crippled my machines,their support tried long and hard to sort things out but in the end I just cleared all reference to it from the registry and went with Avast AIS and all the problems were gone.

Personally I would go to the Kaspersky forum and ask for their help. I know you said you turned off Kaspersky and tested but unless you actually restarted the system without Kaspersky loading then all you did was stop the resident realtime scan, all the other elements including the firewall were still in place.

The fact that in Safemode your speed tests are fine is proof that the issue is within your system when all applications are loaded and is not a BT/ISP problem.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 06:23:31 PM by AdrianH »

Maturecheese

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 08:25:57 PM »

Adrian

Thank you for the advice.  I suspect if it is anything on all three pc's it is Kaspersky as just about everyone has Flash on their systems and others aren't getting slowed up like me. I will, on one of the  PC's,  uninstall flash player via add remove programs/ programs and features and reinstall to see if it makes a difference   Can anyone recommend a different antivirus program that is in the same price range as Kaspersky for three licences but is not likely to cause the kind of problem we are talking about?

Colin

Update  It is looking like Kaspersky Internet Security could well be having an impact on the speedtests i have been conducting.  i disabled start with windows and shut the program down then restarted.  the upshot of this was a much more favourable speedtest  30mb ds.  Even starting the program up again doesn't impact much on a speedtest whereas enabling start with windows and then restarting windows DOES impact on the speedtest.  For now I will disable start with windows option on all three PC's and start the program manually.

Looks like you could well be right Adrian  thank you for your imput.

Colin
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 10:14:44 PM by Maturecheese »

AdrianH

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 06:58:25 AM »

Hi Colin,
I use avast suite and have no issues with throughput. Unless you are near the end of your license period I would be asking Kaspersky for their input after all you have paid a fair sum of money and should not be seeing issues like this.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 09:40:06 AM »

Hi Colin,

I use AVG - Free version.

It has no effect upon any of my throughput speed tests.

Paul.
Pages: [1] 2

anything