Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Reolcate BT socket  (Read 12119 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Reolcate BT socket
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 09:18:06 PM »

Hi Paul

Yeah, I remember your ongoing problem mate. In short, yes, the CIDT is a great testing tool, instead of just testing the seperate leg resistances against each other, and as a 'loop', it also tests each leg against an 'Earth loop'.
Owning a 301 (mole) would not be able to achieve this, as it only performs the 2-wire test and not implementing the 'Leg to Earth Loop' test.
The HAWK would indeed be able to do this, but it has to be tested against a 'dead pair', therefore it would have to be done from the PCP towards your premises, or from an UG joint towards your house ..... etc etc.

As you know, FTTC isn't really my bag just yet as it isn't prevalent in my area. However, I do work on them occasionally when shipped out of area. I think the last burning question being mooted on these boards before I departed, was 'reported attenuation on the JDSU at the FTTC with the E-side PSTN connected in circuit' ?? I can tell you that the attenuation reading only encompasses the distance from the FTTC in these instances, not the whole distance from the Exchange. If that info is now 'old hat', I apologise, there's a lot been discussed on here in the last 5 months. ;) ;D

I've mentioned it before, but your ISP should (?) have the original 'Base Line Loss Data' from when the circuit was first made live. We use this indication when working on RADE tasks, where the attenuation has risen by more than 6dB, therefore hinting at a possible HR. From this original data, an approximation of speed should be able to be reached.

Keep well.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 10:01:40 PM »

Hi Black Sheep,

Hi Paul

I've mentioned it before, but your ISP should (?) have the original 'Base Line Loss Data' from when the circuit was first made live. We use this indication when working on RADE tasks, where the attenuation has risen by more than 6dB, therefore hinting at a possible HR. From this original data, an approximation of speed should be able to be reached.

Keep well.

Thanks for the advice regarding the various testers.

This is the ONLY info available from Plusnet from when FTTC was installed:-

"I have been in touch with BT and retrieved the notes from the installation engineer as follows:

"**RAstart Customer R A-RA **RAend Home Wiring Solution : Authorize Installed - Yes Home Wiring Solution Type: NTE5 Shifted Existing NTE5 And Extension Socket Swap Notes - all tests passed...test and demo done with Mr B.Eagle"
(changed my name there  ;) )

So sadly no mention of the speeds/line stats on installation just simply that all line testing had passed and the service has been demoed as working to you."

From the unlocked modem's Hlog stats I occasionally see the DS graph as shown in the attachment (especially when the connection has re-synced at a lower speed).

From what I have read regarding Hlog data (attenuation over frequency), it looks as though it MIGHT possibly be an intermittent bridged tap (HR) issue to me.
Does it signify anything to you?

Paul

EDIT:
Also please see the general connection data, clearly showing a sync speed of only 23367k.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 10:07:20 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 06:26:26 PM »

Hi Black Sheep,

Hi Paul

Keep well.

Thanks for the advice regarding the various testers.

This is the ONLY info available from Plusnet from when FTTC was installed:-

"I have been in touch with BT and retrieved the notes from the installation engineer as follows:

"**RAstart Customer R A-RA **RAend Home Wiring Solution : Authorize Installed - Yes Home Wiring Solution Type: NTE5 Shifted Existing NTE5 And Extension Socket Swap Notes - all tests passed...test and demo done with Mr B.Eagle"
(changed my name there  ;) )

So sadly no mention of the speeds/line stats on installation just simply that all line testing had passed and the service has been demoed as working to you."

From the unlocked modem's Hlog stats I occasionally see the DS graph as shown in the attachment (especially when the connection has re-synced at a lower speed).

From what I have read regarding Hlog data (attenuation over frequency), it looks as though it MIGHT possibly be an intermittent bridged tap (HR) issue to me.
Does it signify anything to you?

Paul

EDIT:
Also please see the general connection data, clearly showing a sync speed of only 23367k.

Baldy

I, (as an engineer), always put speed test results in my notes, for future reference. That said, it is not a mandatory requirement that we have to, especially when of FTTC Provision. So long as the product isn't sub-15Meg on final synch test with our Hand Held Testers (HHT's), then all is rosy. We aren't allowed to perform a throughput test with the EU's either. Protocol is to show the circuit in synch, load the disc that comes with the Hub, and demo a loaded web-site, preferably BBC i-Player.

Now, it matters not that the engineer didn't record his final synch speeds, as DLM should have stored the 'Base Line Loss Data' from when you had your hub plugged in during it's initial stabilisation process. From that, an approximation of synch speed should be attainable ?

Quite how you go about retrieving this data, or wether you have rights to view the data, I wouldn't know.

Re, the graphs. There's a lot cleverer folk than me on this forum that can interpret those better, as we don't tend to really view them in our day-to-day job. For example, if a circuit has 'No synch' ...... then we can fault this quite easily by plugging our HHT's in to localise where the issue is. No graph needed. If the router drops synch when the phone is used, again, we will utilise our meters to pin-point the issue.
The only time I tend to look at graphs is on multiple-repeat visits to the EU's, or more commonly if REIN is suspected. Basically, to see if the problem is trended. To add to that, when I try and open it up, it's so large I can only see the top corner ??

Sorry for the shortcomings bud. Wish there was more I could give.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 10:15:18 PM »

Cheers Black Sheep,

Now, it matters not that the engineer didn't record his final synch speeds, as DLM should have stored the 'Base Line Loss Data' from when you had your hub plugged in during it's initial stabilisation process. From that, an approximation of synch speed should be attainable ?

Quite how you go about retrieving this data, or wether you have rights to view the data, I wouldn't know.

Therein lies one of the problems. Nobody is able (or willing) to show me that data for me to compare against my current stats.

Re, the graphs. There's a lot cleverer folk than me on this forum that can interpret those better, as we don't tend to really view them in our day-to-day job. For example, if a circuit has 'No synch' ...... then we can fault this quite easily by plugging our HHT's in to localise where the issue is. No graph needed. If the router drops synch when the phone is used, again, we will utilise our meters to pin-point the issue.
The only time I tend to look at graphs is on multiple-repeat visits to the EU's, or more commonly if REIN is suspected. Basically, to see if the problem is trended. To add to that, when I try and open it up, it's so large I can only see the top corner ??

Basically, it showed a valley at around Tone 1750.
I have tried to attach a snippet of the graph this time, just in case you were to see it & say "Ah, I know beyond all doubt what the problem is" (Wishful thinking, I know)

Paul.

[attachment deleted by admin]

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 10:27:04 PM »

Basically, it showed a valley at around Tone 1750.

Huh?  :hmm:  Looks more like a notch (or ravine) rather than a valley and it's centred at approximately tones 1710 - 1720.

Just a thought. Hasn't this thread been rather hijacked?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 10:35:29 PM »

Huh?  :hmm:  Looks more like a notch (or ravine) rather than a valley and it's centred at approximately tones 1710 - 1720.

It's only ever, but always there when my connection syncs at low 20's ADSL2+ speeds.

Just a thought. Hasn't this thread been rather hijacked?

Good point.  :-[
Pages: 1 [2]

anything