Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Warning, disable pcAnywhere says Symantec  (Read 2246 times)

AdrianH

Warning, disable pcAnywhere says Symantec
« on: January 26, 2012, 06:19:58 AM »

[url=http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Symantec-Warns-pcAnywhere-Users-to-Disable-Tool-Due-to-Source-Code-Theft-336440/]Symantec Warns pcAnywhere Users to Disable Tool Due to Source Code Theft

Symantec has confirmed that pcAnywhere users are at "increased risk" because attackers had stolen source code to the remote control tool

The saga over Symantec's stolen code took another twist as the company acknowledged that pcAnywhere customers are at risk for man-in-the-middle attacks and new exploits.

The breach actually occurred on Symantec servers in 2006 and attackers stole source code to several Norton security products and the pcAnywhere remote access tool, Symantec confirmed last week. At the time, the company assured customers that there was no risk to the products because the source code was so old and the company had made security improvements over the past six years.......... (more)

rickdees

• Just arrived
Re: Warning, disable pcAnywhere says Symantec
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 01:53:42 PM »

Hmm so there are people who still use pcanywhere? It's a bit outdated if you ask me.. Plus it just seems to me that there are some far better remote control programs than this pcanywhere thing.

The problem is solved though, as far as I read they released a patch that should make Pcanywhere safe to use. I for one don't use it, yay for me.:))

About this pcanywhere program, I came across some news about a new audials anywhere software program that's supposed to be some sort of personal media cloud for making it easier to access files anywhere and for letting your friends browse, download and stream your media collection. Not really sure how it works yet anyway.

What I was wondering is: does it have anything to do with pcanywhere? I wanna be on the safe side, since this security breach stunt I don't trust Symantec much.

AdrianH

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 08:39:04 AM »

http://www.ihotdesk.com/article/801303917/More-than-200,000-computers-could-be-at-risk-due-to-failings-in-pcAnywhere-software
Sounds like the problems will continue to haunt them for some time yet, Symantec have not confirmed that the program is usable again yet.

As to the other application you spam   ;D  mention , no it is nothing like pcAnywhere in any way as a quick search shows.

rickdees

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 03:00:09 PM »

Meh, it just caught my eye and sounded much like pcanywhere, that's why I was asking about that program. And looks like you are right, found some info about that audials anywhere thing round here:

http://www.mytechguide.org/11375/audials-anywhere-personal-media-cloud-rumor/

Looks to me less like a media cloud and more like one of them private trackers, since it says it's invitation based. Suppose  that should be quite secure?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 08:29:30 PM »

Adrian -- Would you be able to insert the missing [/url] tag in the first line of your opening post to this thread, please?  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.