Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Huawei HG612 Modem - Stats & Graphs for Windows Users  (Read 32288 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Huawei HG612 Modem - Stats & Graphs for Windows Users
« on: January 18, 2012, 10:48:23 PM »

Along with the current Linux graphing script, a set of recently released scripts (batch files) are now also available for Windows only users to harvest & graph their UNLOCKED Huawei HG612 modem's connection statistics via this link:-

Huawei HG612 Graphing Scripts

The batch files, full setting up instructions & details of / links to the other freely available Windows versions of a few additional programs / utilities that are required are all included in the zip file "hg612_wingraphs.zip"

These are the details from the summary of what the batch files actually do - "hg612_wingraphs_SUMMARY.TXT":-

WINDOWS ONLY HUAWEI HG612 STATS COLLECTING and GRAPHING BATCH FILES

PUBLIC RELEASE v1.0
Dated 15/01/2012

These WINDOWS only batch files, along with a few other utilities that need to be downloaded and installed, will allow you to generate relevant graphs for the Huawei HG612 modem's connection stats, simply by double clicking the relevant batch file icons.

They have been developed and converted to batch files from the original Linux script (Graph.sh) by Bald_Eagle1, with much assistance and advice from asbokid and burakkucat.

There is no need to install any Linux shells such as Cygwin, Ubuntu etc, as the batch files already use native Windows versions of the most popular Unix utilities.

A set of default folders & subfolders will be created on your C: Drive.
However, these locations can be altered, along with amending the HG612 modem's default IP address to suit individual requirements by easily editing a couple of lines of code in the batch files.

Once fully set up, the relevant data will be harvested & logged, either automatically via Windows Task Scheduler (every minute 24/7), or by double-clicking a batch file icon.

There is no need to be manually logged into the HG612 modem, or to manually run a Telnet session as auto-login & collection/dated storage of the relevant data is built in.

The batch files are initially set to use Windows 7 fonts and font sizes.
However, they have also been fully tested using Vista & will PROBABLY work in XP.

For some text data to display fully, a quick edit near the top of of GRAPH6.BAT will reset the fonts for Vista.
(Possibly the same fonts and sizes as used in Vista are used in XP)

To start the setting up process, simply extract all the files included in hg612_wingraphs.ZIP to any folder of your choice and double-click START.BAT

INSTRUCT.TXT & README.TXT can be read before starting the setting up process, but they will also be displayed again during execution of START.BAT

Full details of other required downloads, & links to them are included

PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT 32 BIT VERSIONS OF ANY PROGRAMS ARE DOWNLOADED, EVEN THOUGH WINDOWS 7 IS A 64 BIT OPERATING SYSTEM

DISCLAIMER:

No warranty regarding the use of these batch files is given or implied

The use of these batch files is entirely at the user's own risk

Apart from setting Windows Task Scheduler to run every minute (can be disabled if no longer required) and editing your Environment PATH, no permanent system changes are made.

Paul.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 10:01:51 AM by Bald_Eagle1 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Huawei HG612 Modem - Stats & Graphs for Windows Users
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 03:54:48 AM »

b*cat would like to suggest that Mr Eagle investigates the usage of external links for situations like --

. . . & graph their Huawei HG612 modem's connection statistics via this link:-

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B6wW18mYskvBMTEyNzk2MTQtNWEyNC00NTBlLWFiMjYtNTg0MDdhMTBlNDdk&sort=name&layout=list&pid=0B6wW18mYskvBODZjMTk1YmUtZDA0ZC00Y2NlLWEwYWItMjEyNmRjNTk0MWU5&cindex=4

It would be so much easier on the eye to insert [url=] [/url] tags, such that the above abomination then becomes something like --

. . . & graph their Huawei HG612 modem's connection statistics via this link.

But I guess that is the result of not having any feathers "up top"!   :lol:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 03:58:01 AM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 06:45:16 AM »

Hi b*cat,

b*cat would like to suggest that Mr Eagle investigates the usage of external links for situations like --

Thank you for pointing out the error of my ways (and citing an example).

I have now edited my post accordingly to how I wanted it to look in the first place. I hope you now approve of it.

I'm afraid I had got used to the little helpful box that pops up in the other forum when inserting links & had forgotten how to do it manually.

Hmmmm, I'll treat that remark with the contempt it deserves (for now) :-\

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 09:16:57 PM »

Hi b*cat,

Thank you for pointing out the error of my ways (and citing an example).

I have now edited my post accordingly to how I wanted it to look in the first place. I hope you now approve of it.

Absolutely purrfect.  ::)

Hmmmm, I'll treat that remark with the contempt it deserves (for now) :-\

That's fine by me, as my friends, the Liverbirds, will provide me with lifelong support and protection from molestation by any little avian entity!  ::)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 07:26:21 AM »

Please note that the downloadable zip file was updated yesterday (19th January).

The only change is a slightly amended version of GRAPH6.BAT

The amended version is only really of any use if wishing to re-plot older 8c connection snapshot logs that didn't originally include the specific profile detail, using different colour Band Plan bit-loading.

It now attempts to determine the older 8c profile from just the pbParams Band Plan data (8c - 2000 tone x-axis) rather than defaulting to the 17a - 4100 tone x-axis as an undetermined profile.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 09:34:45 PM »

Good work and thanks for the update.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 04:06:27 PM »

Update 22/01/2012:

A couple of example log files have now been uploaded to the main download location:-

Plink_20120121-0031.log contains the Current (snapshot) data.
modem_stats.log contains the Ongoing data.

Users could now plot the 2 graph sets from these example log files if they wished to test things out BEFORE going to the trouble of unlocking their modems.

Please note that these example logs have been harvested from a poor(ish) connection, so at least there a few error counts, re-syncs, fluctuating SNRM & Interleaving depth graphs to have a look at.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 10:41:23 PM »

. . . these example logs have been harvested from a poor(ish) connection, so at least there a few error counts, re-syncs, fluctuating SNRM & Interleaving depth graphs to have a look at.

That reads as if it is an example of the connection to "The Aerie".   ::)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 10:55:13 PM »

That reads as if it is an example of the connection to "The Aerie".   ::)

It can't be. "The Aerie's" connection is apparently stable & within acceptable limits.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 11:12:47 PM »

It can't be. "The Aerie's" connection is apparently stable & within acceptable limits.

:tongue:  :-\  :no:

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 10:48:09 AM »

Update 28/01/2012:

Despite trying many times, I have been unable to get the HG612 to synchronise with any online time servers.

I have been manually setting the modem’s internal time (used for it’s built-in logs) by running PuTTy to access the sh shell, working out the time & date format & entering something at the prompt on the lines of:-

date -s 121808182011.36     (MMDDhhmmYYYY.s)

to get this result:-

Sun Dec 18 08:18:36 UTC 2011

The modem’s internal ongoing time is maintained following “on the fly” re-syncs but is lost following a reboot / power cut etc.

To speed this up, I have now added another batch file named SET_HG612_DATE_AND_TIME.BAT to the main download zip file.

If setting up the batch files from scratch, this new batch file will be already included in the default Scripts folder ( C:\HG612_Modem_stats\Scripts )

If already fully set up, simply extract SET_HG612_DATE_AND_TIME.BAT to the Scripts folder.

A double-click on this new batch file will automatically pick up the Windows system time, add a few seconds to allow for auto-login to the HG612 & processing time, reset the modem’s internal clock & quit.

There is no need to be logged in to the HG612’s GUI, although no harm is done if you are already logged in.

The resulting time reset isn’t exactly correct (it might end up a few seconds out), but it’s near enough.
It’s certainly a lot closer than some date in the year 2000 that is normally recorded in the in-built modem log.

Paul.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 12:38:04 AM »

Update 29/01/2012:

I have now added some setting up instructions that include some screenshots to the main download zip file (hg612_wingraphs.zip):-

These instructions are named Setting_Up_Instructions.pdf

The PDF file can also be viewed/downloaded on its own at the main download site:-

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 01:26:44 PM »

Update 12/02/2012:

I have now checked out the licence & copyright terms & conditions for all the components.
It appears that I can now package everything together in one download zip file.

I have also been putting together a very simple to use setup procedure.

Basically, after downloading one file & unzipping it, a double-click sets everything up for plotting "snapshot" graphs.

For the time being, full versions of the other programs/utilities are included.
This could be useful as they can be used for many other purposes.
The downside is that together they take up quite a bit of disk storage space.
At some stage, I might release a "Lite" version that includes just enough for HG612 graphing purposes, but that might not be too soon.

Another double-click now sets up Windows Task Scheduler to harvest statistics 24/7 (optional).
A couple of other clicks ensure Task Scheduler is set for different Windows versions & password implications.

Another double-click stops the 24/7 logging whenever it is no longer required.

I have chosen not to automate the graphing itself, as not everyone would wish to plot graphs all the time & some would wish to plot them at events such as modem re-syncs/reboots etc.
It just takes a double-click whenever graphs are required.

I hope to release the simplified setup file(s), along with some included updates to the existing scripts, during next week, following a little more testing to ensure compatibility between Windows versions XP, Vista & Windows 7.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 04:35:38 PM »

I read excellent "stuff".  :clap2:

However I will never use it, as I do not have an FTTC service not do I use anything from the Redmond company.  :no:

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 09:22:39 AM »

Update 20/02/2012:

The new simplified setting up process, along with updated batch files (HG612_wingraphs.zip) has now been uploaded to:-

After downloading the zip file, the whole process now only takes a few minutes.

Please also see  “Setting_Up_Instructions_v2.pdf”  which is located on the same web page as the download.
For future reference it is also included in the download zip file.

For a quick start, unzip HG612_wingraphs.zip into any folder of your choice & double-click “START.BAT”.

Everything will be initially set up on your C: drive & ready for you to generate “snapshot” graphs by double clicking “Teststats2.BAT” which is located in the folder named “C:\HG612_Modem_Stats\Scripts”.

You may also wish to set the HG612 modem’s internal clock (used for its own inbuilt event logs).
If so, double-click “SET_HG612_DATE_AND_TIME.BAT”, also located in the folder named “C:\HG612_Modem_Stats\Scripts”.

This isn’t necessary for the graphing scripts as the Windows system time is used throughout, but it COULD be useful for cross-referencing re-sync / reboot events etc.

To optionally start/stop 24/7 every minute logging of connection stats & graph them, double-click START_LOGGING_24-7.BAT or STOP_LOGGING_24-7.BAT which are also located in the folder named “C:\HG612_Modem_Stats\Scripts”.

For these scripts to function, the HG612 modem obviously has to be “unlocked” & switched on.
For optional 24/7 logging, the PC also needs to be switched on & “active”.

The scripts have been successfully tested by me (both Ethernet connected & wirelessly) on a “reasonable” spec Windows 7 desktop PC, an old & slow Vista laptop & an almost obsolete Pentium 3 XP desktop PC running at 733MHz, with only 256MB of RAM.

The differences in processing times are noticeable, but the output graphs are identical.

A small number of other users have also tested the scripts on various specs of PC.

Please provide any feedback either publicly in this forum or via a PM.
Perhaps more importantly, please post links to the montage graphs for us all to have a look at & compare against other stats.

Initially, all the graphs are generated in “low” resolution to speed up processing time & keep output file sizes as low as possible.

With a quick edit of a batch file, a couple of “high/medium” resolution graphs can be generated.
This aspect is NOT yet fully implemented.

If/when it this facility is required, I may add an option for users to choose the resolution immediately before generating the graphs.

Pages: [1] 2 3