Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Soon to have Infinity installed  (Read 10411 times)

Maturecheese

Re: Soon to have Infinity installed
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 10:45:36 AM »

Bald_Eagle1,

Did the engineer re-check that 40Mb was still available at the socket after trying everything else?

Yes, he did re-check.

Earlier on, you mentioned an ethernet extension cable between modem & hub.
Where was the hub situated at the time only 19Mb was seen?
If it was at the far end of the extension cable, could you try the short cable that should have arrived with either the hub or the modem?

Ironically, the ethernet cable I laid was faulty and is going back so It was first tested with the shorter cable provided until I dug out a 5 meter cable I already had which is now in use.  no difference between the two cables in terms of speed attained.

Has the BT speed/performance test been conducted?

I tried that while the BT guy was here but couldn't as you now need a service ID that has to be obtained from your ISP, he couldn't give it me.

I recken they estimated my line speed based on copper wire and not aluminium with bad joints hence the difference from 27.7mb to 19mb tops, more often since installation I am getting 16/17mb.  I have three PC's on my home network and the one hooked up to my TV gets a longer ping time so I suspect that the ethernet cable to that one is less good.

Thanks for the suggestions

Colin

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:50:26 AM by Maturecheese »
Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Maturecheese

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 11:16:07 AM »

Just did the BT speedtest, the up to 40mb one and not the diagnostics one that I was previouly trying and the result was 21.41 which is higher than what speedtest.net is giving me.   like I have mentioned though, to do the other  diagnostic test you need a service ID so I'll try and get one later.

It turns out that the speedtester diagnostics button does work after all, it must take a little time to register a user as a subscriber.  Apparently my IP profile is 38717 downstream and 10000 upstream.  I got a download speed of 24916 and upstream of 5439.  also it said.  we were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time. Hmmm!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 11:46:09 AM by Maturecheese »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 05:19:05 PM »

Hi M C,

Note that the Sync and Profile data is generated from the actual modem's data so doesn't rely on the LAN or computer.
So that leaves traffic shaping, contention or a computer (or LAN set-up) that can't cope with those speeds.
You would not be the first to discover their lovely old creaking machine wasn't up to the mark.
(Admittedly most of the ones I'm aware of are on the splendid Rutland / Gigaclear proper real fibre to the premise services !)

Kind regards,
Walter

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 05:29:44 PM »

Hi Maturecheese,

Just did the BT speedtest, the up to 40mb one and not the diagnostics one that I was previouly trying and the result was 21.41 which is higher than what speedtest.net is giving me.   like I have mentioned though, to do the other  diagnostic test you need a service ID so I'll try and get one later.

I don't have an ID No. so I just leave that blank.
It works with just your telephone No.

It turns out that the speedtester diagnostics button does work after all, it must take a little time to register a user as a subscriber.  Apparently my IP profile is 38717 downstream and 10000 upstream.  I got a download speed of 24916 and upstream of 5439.  also it said.  we were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time. Hmmm!

Your IP profile (aka BRAS Rate) will usually be set at 96.79% of sync speed.
Occasionally IP profiles get stuck, & need a modem reboot to update them.

Your 38717 IP Profile does suggest a Sync speed of the full 40Mb.

Your BRAS Rate (IP Profile) can also be checked via this link:-
http://windows.mouselike.org/be/?DoAction=BrasChecker

It will also report the BT Recorded Line Length (m).
Mine is reported as 5283m.
That figure should be ignored for FTTC purposes, as it is actually the telephone/ADSL Line Length all the way from the exchange.

As FTTC was only installed yesterday, you may still be on the "wide open" profile (40Mb Sync & 38717k IP Profile), until DLM intervenes.

However, if your connection is physically unable to deliver the full speeds, that could explain why your speed tests are low.

The only other explanation that comes to mind is that "something" is capping your throughput, even though you may have the full sync speed.
It may be traffic management, contention etc, or even an ISP speed cap that just needs resetting.

You cannot determine your actual Sync speed while using a locked modem, but your ISP should be able to confirm actual Sync speeds for you.

HTH,

Paul.

Maturecheese

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 09:53:36 PM »

Bald_Eagle1

I tried that site you gave me the link to and here are the results

The current BRAS rate is: 38717 k
The Service ID is: *********537
This is a 21CN line.

Exchange: KENFIG HILL (SWKGH)
BT Recorded Line Length (m): 3469

Now one thing strikes me and that is the total line length being just under 3.5 k  Before I had fibre I probably should have been getting better than the highly interleaved 2mb that I was getting.  This just adds to my belief that my line is in a poor state of repair and Aluminium. >:(   

I will reboot the modem later and see what happens to my IP profile

Edit  Also I am getting a significant difference is the speeds recorded between speedtest.net and BT speedtester

Colin
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 09:55:07 AM by Maturecheese »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 10:33:15 PM »

Hi Colin,

I tried that site you gave me the link to and here are the results

The current BRAS rate is: 38717 k
The Service ID is: BBEUxxxxxxxxx
This is a 21CN line.

Exchange: KENFIG HILL (SWKGH)
BT Recorded Line Length (m): 3469

If your BRAS rate (IP Profile) is not "stuck", 38717 k does indeed confirm a sync speed of 40Mb.

Now one thing strikes me and that is the total line length being just under 3.5 k  Before I had fibre I probably should have been getting better than the highly interleaved 2mb that I was getting.  This just adds to my belief that my line is in a poor state of repair and Aluminium. >:(   

Quite possibly, but most of that length can now be ignored for FTTC purposes.

You could do that to completely "clear" the modem's statistics data, or you could just disconnect it from the BT socket for a minute or so. That would cause it to re-sync.

Either way, it SHOULD force the IP profile to be updated in relation to the new sync speed.

Edit  Also I am getting a significant difference is the speeds recorded between speedtest.net and BT speedtester

I think the BT speed test bypasses "other" internet traffic routes, unlike speedtest.net

The best time to run online non-BT speedtests appears to be between 01:00 a.m. & 08:00 a.m. as you shouldn't see much in the way of contention at those times.
The speedtest.net progress graph should also be more or less a flat line at those times too.

If you really are syncing at 40Mb & the Hub's settings are correct (did you check it for PPPoE?), it suggests your connection must have been pretty much error free so far, & that the low speeds may be due to a physical throughput profile cap that can be remotely adjusted accordingly.

Could you not ask your ISP to confirm your actual Sync speed?
They will be able to see it even though you can't.

Is your PC a decent enough spec to cope with high internet speeds?
If your PC has a wireless adaptor, is it disabled? Although you have an ethernet cable plugged in, preference may just be being given to the wireless connection & wirelss speeds tend to be quite a lot lower than ethernet cable connected speeds.

FYI, my current sync speed is only 26329 k, with an IP Profile of 25485 k (96.79% of sync speed).
My throughput at a quiet time this morning was 24.67Mb (almost 97% of IP profile - as always).

Paul.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:35:21 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 10:54:23 PM »

As there are two devices involved, the HH3 and the HG612 (the former providing the PPPoE authentication, etc, the latter acting purely as a bridge), a perfectionist would power off the HH3 (back, LH side, when looking from the front), press the reset button on (or power cycle) the HG612, wait for it to sync with the FTTC DSLAM (solid green LEDs, power and DSL) and then power on the HH3 (which will then authenticate and establish a PPPoE session).

As with ADSL / ADSL2 / ADSL2+, the same rule applies with VDSL2. For the best possible sync speed, allow the modem to re-sync during the hours of daylight -- preferably between 1000 - 1200 hours.

I would have expected a DS thoughput of about 3.5 - 4 Mbps, not 2 Mbps.  :o
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:56:34 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Maturecheese

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 10:34:04 AM »

Before i cover any advice given let me just tell of the awful speed test last night and this morning.  On the BT tester I had this   31541 down  1532 up but speedtest.net  around 6mb downstream. (last night)   

This morning (around 10 ish) was as follows  BT test   2259 down  4037 up  (unbelievable I know) 
Speedtest.net  3940 down  5970 up.  Clearly a reboot was needed and after I had this result on speedtest.net ( I have to wait an hour to do the BT test again) 16440 down  5800 up)

before reboot

after reboot

Maturecheese

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 10:53:39 AM »

As there are two devices involved, the HH3 and the HG612 (the former providing the PPPoE authentication, etc, the latter acting purely as a bridge), a perfectionist would power off the HH3 (back, LH side, when looking from the front), press the reset button on (or power cycle) the HG612, wait for it to sync with the FTTC DSLAM (solid green LEDs, power and DSL) and then power on the HH3 (which will then authenticate and establish a PPPoE session).

I did the reboot more or less the correct way.  Turn off Hub  then switch off power to modem, wait one minute then power modem on and let it sync lastly turn on hub and allow it to attain signal.

Is your PC a decent enough spec to cope with high internet speeds?
If your PC has a wireless adaptor, is it disabled? Although you have an ethernet cable plugged in, preference may just be being given to the wireless connection & wirelss speeds tend to be quite a lot lower than ethernet cable connected speeds.

I have three PC's on my home network the newest is a Dell XPS 630i about three years old,  A gateway around 3 years old and a home build around 7 years old.  All the network cards are capable of 100mbps.(I Think, but will double check)  Surely if one of these PC's was lacking in spec the slow speeds would only apply to that particular PC and I doubt that all three are not up to it.

I go back to my original gripe,  I think my line is so poor that I will never get a good service until BT openreach do something about it, either repair it ( I'm more likely to be hit by meteorite than getting it repaired) or giving me another d-side pair( again trying to get that will be near impossible)

One last thing, I can't find out how to check if the hubs settings are PPPoE or PPPoA.  It's a Home Hub 3
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 11:04:06 AM by Maturecheese »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 01:01:48 PM »

I go back to my original gripe,  I think my line is so poor that I will never get a good service until BT openreach do something about it, either repair it ( I'm more likely to be hit by meteorite than getting it repaired) or giving me another d-side pair( again trying to get that will be near impossible)

If the engineer saw 40Mb at the socket & re-checked it before leaving AND your IP Profile is still 38717 k, then unless your IP Profile is stuck, it does appear that you have the full 40Mb Sync speed.

If your line was too poor, you simply couldn't sync at 40Mb (e.g. my poor connection).

The BT speed test supposedly bypasses "normal" internet traffic routes, which could explain your higher speed test results from the BT speed checker.

One last thing, I can't find out how to check if the hubs settings are PPPoE or PPPoA.  It's a Home Hub 3

I'm not convinced this is a router problem, it was just a thought regarding solving things via a process of elimination.

I'm not familiar with any of the home hubs at all, but from another forum:-

You can actually get online using no router too, just the Openreach modem connected directly into a computer via ethernet or into a network switch.

This has been incredibly handy for me as my Home Hub 3 has just competely died.

In Windows, go to Network & Sharing Centre, click set up a new connection or network. Then select 'connect to the internet'. Set up a connection as PPoE using bthomehub@btbroadband.com as the username (no password). That's it!

Trying that MIGHT just help to eliminate a home hub problem

Without access to an unlocked HG612, or an alternative (really expensive) modem, there is no way you can check your own Sync speed, attenuation levels, Interleaving depth, error counts, SNRM etc.

Until you have absolute confirmation from your ISP that you are actually syncing at 40Mb, all the rest is pure guesswork.

The only other thoughts I have at this stage are:-
Possibly your MTU / rwin settings may need some adjustment to match the home hub's settings, but again, that wouldn't really explain the differences in speed tests you have experienced.
I don't know how to change those settings as I have never needed to.

Final thought is contention.
It could be that a person or persons nearby are 24/7 really heavy downloaders, using massive amounts of bandwidth that affects your throughput, but not your sync speed.

Have you reported this to your ISP's customer support lines?
If so, have they suggested anything?
If not, I would suggest you either make the call or use any of your ISP's online support tools to report it.

Paul.

EDIT:

FYI, This is the sort of detail that my ISP (Plusnet) provides:-

GEA:

Test Outcome: Fail 
Test Outcome Code: GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1603
Description: Daily downstream line rate less than fault threshold rate. Continue submitting trouble report
Main Fault Location: DT
Sync Status: In Sync
Downstream Speed: 27.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed: 6.0 Mbps
Appointment Required: N
Fault Report Advised: Y
Profile Name: 16.2M-32.4M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 3.6M-7.2M Upstream, Interleaving Off
Time Stamp: NA

RADIUS: One Day, 20:13:46 (on going)

Summary:  All within limits.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 01:30:20 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

Maturecheese

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 02:58:25 PM »

connected direct to modem although the needle on the dial went up to around 29mb downstream.  Also did a speedtest at bbmax.co.uk and got and average from two tests of 32371 downstream.  I will now connect to the hub and run them again and add the results in an edit.

Right some interesting results.  this is speedtest.net through the hub

and below are the results of bbmax.co.uk 

Date/Time    Up    Down
26th January 2012 15:34:33    6485 Kbps    19676 Kbps
26th January 2012 15:33:08    6466 Kbps    18939 Kbps
26th January 2012 15:23:59    6421 Kbps    33603 Kbps
26th January 2012 14:46:44    6433 Kbps    32348 Kbps
26th January 2012 14:44:10    6473 Kbps    32393 Kbps
Average Speeds:    6456 Kbps    27392 Kbps

As you can see the bottom three results were taken connected direct to the modem and the top two through the hub.  Definitely a big difference.  The thing is now how the hell do I try and convince the Indians that I need a change of Hub and not another type A  but a Type B.

Also re speed test I did the bt one while direct to the modem and got 30777 downstream and 6123 upstream
  Regarding the speedtest.net site  with the modem direct the needle went up to 29000-30000 whereas through the hub it only went to around 19000.  the results given are lower though so I don't get that unless it gives an average and not best attained.

Update  I have rang India, explained the problem and requested theType B hub.  I was told that I will be sent one but they are out of stock for around a week so they will ring me next week to update me.  I suspect I am getting the runaround but you never know maybe I will be lucky.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 07:07:18 PM by Maturecheese »

Synner

• Just arrived
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2012, 07:34:54 PM »

Hi,

I'm sure you've tried this, but I couldn't help noticing that you're using the Gloucester Speedtest server.  I'm currently on Virgin Media 50Mb (BT Infinity being installed 16th March Whoop!) and get these results:

Gloucester:

London:

It could just be that the Gloucester server isn't up to the job...?  Give the London servers a try..

Bri
Pages: 1 [2]

anything