Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Soon to have Infinity installed  (Read 10412 times)

Maturecheese

Soon to have Infinity installed
« on: January 16, 2012, 11:36:44 PM »

I am having BT infinity installed in a weeks time.  The modem can go by the main socket in the living room but I want the HUB in the hall where my current Netgear Router is.  Currently the shielded adsl cable runs under a carpet , across a doorway (under the carpet in a channel) and through a wall to the router. As this is a bit of a pain to lay would it be worth me buying 10 meters of cat 5e and laying it along this route ready for the BT engineer as I doubt he or she will want to do that to connect the modem to the BT Hub.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 11:45:46 PM by Maturecheese »
Blessed are the Cheesemakers

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Soon to have Infinity installed
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 01:24:05 AM »

it certainly would be worthwhile running a length of Cat5e cable between both points. Just ensure that you leave about 10 - 12 inches free at each end, so that the installing engineer has sufficient to work with.

Ideally, each end would be fitted with an RJ45 socket. Then a standard patch cable would be used to connect the HG612 modem to the RJ45 socket and, at the other end, another patch cable would connect the other RJ45 socket to the Home Hub 3.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Maturecheese

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 12:31:20 PM »

Please excuse my ignorance but isn't the modem connected to the main socket by an RJ11(modem end)and then the modem to the Hub by an RJ45(both modem and Hub) or is another main socket fitted along side the current one that has an RJ45 both at socket and modem.

Putting it more simply, isn't there a modem cable from the main socket to the modem and a networking cable from the modem to the Hub?  If this is the case then I just run networking cable (Cat5e) along the route my current high speed modem cable runs leaving a foot at each end as suggested.  Sorry if the penny is taking a while to drop :)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 03:17:40 PM »

Hi Mature Cheese,

You are absolutely correct with your summary.
However I don't believe that BT have RJ45 connectors nor the crimping tool.
You are therefore faced with buying a pre terminated ethernet cable which will require a hole through your wall of around 15 mm dia. minimum (Together with cling-film or similar to keep the RJ45 plug dust free), or buying standard cat 5, or preferably cat 6 cable, and terminating it yourself with RJ454 plugs or into wall sockets which only requires a standard IDC (or Krone) punch-down tool which is much easier for the uninitiated to use.
Hence BKK's suggestions.

Please ask if you're unfamiliar with suppliers' web sites.

Kind regards,
Walter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 03:33:28 AM »

Let's see if I can manage some ASCII art --

----------[NTE5/A with SSFP]----------[HG612 modem]----------[RJ45 socket]----------[RJ45 socket]----------[Home Hub]
    ^                                        ^                                  ^                               ^                               ^
    |                                         |                                   |                               |                                |
Incoming                             VDSL                           Patch                       Your run                      Patch
 service                                lead.                            cable.                       of Cat5e                      cable.
  cable.                (Supplied with modem.) (Supplied with Home Hub.)      cable.           (Supplied with Home Hub.)

Maturecheese

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 02:34:32 PM »

Thanks for confirming my summary Walter.  The hole in the wall is already there and big enough to accomadate the RJ45 plug on my cable ( 10m Cat6e patch cable gold headed) so it looks like happy days :)  I suppose all I need now is a decent modem cable to replace the one that BT will supply.  My current one, although high speed, is 10m long, so far too long for where the modem will be situated.

One more thing, I take it 10m distance of cable between the modem and Hub is OK.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 02:50:39 PM by Maturecheese »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 09:21:44 PM »

One more thing, I take it 10m distance of cable between the modem and Hub is OK.

Yes, certainly. It is only a standard Ethernet link and if you look up the specifications, I think you will find that the maximum distance is of the order of 100 metres.

Maturecheese

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 10:05:10 PM »

Thanks all for the info :)

Maturecheese

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 02:51:49 PM »

BT Hub came yesterday and it is the Home Hub 3 Type A  should I get on the phone and request type B as I have read that type A has had problems?

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 04:38:06 PM »

I was issued with a type A when I had Infinity enabled a few weeks back - absolutely no problems :fingers: so far.

Colin

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 09:30:55 PM »

BT Hub came yesterday and it is the Home Hub 3 Type A  should I get on the phone and request type B as I have read that type A has had problems?

The type A looks harder to hack.  Don't suppose that would be a valid reason for requesting a Type B though  :lol:

Maturecheese

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 06:10:25 PM »

Well it is finally installed and here's the meat for you more clued up than me to get stuck into.  I am getting speeds of between 16mb and 19mb :( even though on the engineers testing equipment I am getting the full 40mb at the socket.( BT estimated 27.7mb)  He changed the modem and the HUB (he went and got one from a fellow engineer in the area) but still no change.  He plugged his laptop into the hub and got 19mb and yet is adamant that 40mb is coming to the main socket.  He doesn't know why this is occuring and suggests maybe requesting another hub.  He also told me that the cabinet is roughly 700 meters away as the test he did isn't that accurate apparently.

The second problem is this.  I was expecting a better range on the wireless signal from the BT Hub as it is N  not G like my netgear DG834G was and yet from the hallway where it is situated to the back room upstairs( my house isn't very big) the signal is no better than my netgear was.( one bar and drops in and out)  What is galling is that my xbox is getting a stronger signal from next doors cheapy router supplied by Talk Talk which is in their living room downstairs. That router is also G.

What do I do now?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 07:04:49 PM »

What do I do now?

Immediately? Don't panic and rush at anything.

Take a little time (24 - 48 hours) to allow things to "settle" and wait for our eagle-eyed Bald_Eagle1 to notice and join this thread.

Maturecheese

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 08:11:11 PM »

What do I do now?

Immediately? Don't panic and rush at anything.

Take a little time (24 - 48 hours) to allow things to "settle" and wait for our eagle-eyed Bald_Eagle1 to notice and join this thread.

OK,  I'll keep calm and carry on (for a few days) in the hope that my initial disappointment will wane and BT will deliver the goods sometime in the 10 day 'stabalisation period'    Still it's a bit odd how the BT installation worker (probably a more apt term than Engineer although I've nothing against him, he did his best) reckoned he was getting the full whack at the main socket.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 08:16:53 PM »

Hi Maturecheese,

Regardless of distance from the cabinet, you are (were initially) getting a confirmed 40Mb at the socket.

According to BT's SIN 498 document, with the FTTC (VDSL2) service, DLM should not take any action within the first 24 hours, unless it sees very high error counts, in which case it will take immediate action & reduce sync speed, add interleaving etc. accordingly:-

"2.2.5 Dynamic Line Management

Dynamic Line Management (DLM) is employed in GEA-FTTC.
DLM constantly manages lines to maintain a target stability. It does this for as long as the product exists.

At provision, the line is put on wide open profiles, allowing downstream line speeds of up to 40Mbit/s, and upstream line speeds of up to 2Mbit/s or 10Mbit/s depending on the upstream product option selected.

On the first day of operation, DLM will intervene if severe instability is detected.

Otherwise, DLM will wait until the day after provision before intervening, provided that the line has been trained up for at least 15 minutes during the preceding day.

If DLM intervenes it will set a capped profile with a maximum rate and a minimum rate, where the minimum rate is set at approximately half of the maximum rate. The purpose of the minimum rate is to ensure that the line does not train at a rate which is significantly below the level the line should be able to achieve. If this happened, then the line is likely to remain at a very low rate till a re-train is forced by the user powering off the Active NTE.

Note that the upstream throughput is also constrained on the DSLAM to the upstream rate requested in the order, ie 2Mbit/s or 10Mbit/s, so even if the upstream line speed is higher, the upstream throughput is constrained to the level ordered for the product."

It is possible, but quite unlikely that DLM detected severe instability almost immediately after the engineer confirmed 40Mb. i.e. when he connected the HG612 modem.

Did the engineer re-check that 40Mb was still available at the socket after trying everything else?

Earlier on, you mentioned an ethernet extension cable between modem & hub.
Where was the hub situated at the time only 19Mb was seen?
If it was at the far end of the extension cable, could you try the short cable that should have arrived with either the hub or the modem?

If it is still only 19Mb when using the short cable, you could try a direct PC to modem connection, completely bypassing the hub.

Has the hub actually been set to use PPPoE? it may just be still set to use PPPoA as that may well be the default setting for the hub?

I wouldn't have thought it would work at all if set to use PPPoA, but................

If BT hadn't decided to provide LOCKED HG612 modems, you would be able to see what speed it has actually synced at.

Has the BT speed/performance test been conducted?
If so, the reported IP profile should give an indication of actual sync speed.
the IP profile is usually 96.79% of sync speed, so assuming a sync speed of 39999k, the IP profile should be around 38715k.

Throughput speeds (at quiet times) are usually around 97% of IP profile, so a full 40Mb sync speed should give a throughput of around 37.5Mb.

Working this backward, a 19Mb throughput suggests an IP profile of around 19600k, suggesting a sync speed of around only 20240k.

From the above SIN 498 extract:-
If DLM intervenes it will set a capped profile with a maximum rate and a minimum rate, where the minimum rate is set at approximately half of the maximum rate.

The possible approximate 20Mb sync speed is awful close to 1/2 the maximum 40Mb rate.

My ISP quite often has to manually adjust their own profile following installation of FTTC.
e.g. When I had FTTC installed, I was still stuck at 1Mb throughput for the first hour.
I was aware of that & explained it to the engineer who could not understand why he could see 35Mb at the socket, yet only 1Mb throughput.
He did say that EVERY Infinity installation he had carried out saw the full Monty immediately on connecting up the HG612 modem.

I wonder if BT need to reset your throughput profile from whatever it was on ADSL to the new FTTC throughput profile?

Paul.
Pages: [1] 2

anything