Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: new phone line circuit  (Read 5637 times)

andy2525

• Just arrived
new phone line circuit
« on: January 07, 2012, 04:14:29 PM »

hi all

I am putting a total of six phone outlet in different places in my house, I would like the outlets to be for voice telephone or modem connections.

All the sockets have a wire going to the loft (cat 5).  My plan was to run the main feed in the loft then connect all six. i am now worried that i have done this wrong, maybe I should have wired from socket to socket like a radial circuit. 

I would prefer to make the connection in the loft as all the wires are in place, but I don't want to compromise internet speed so could change if needed

I would to grateful for some advise     

Thanks

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: new phone line circuit
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 05:26:50 PM »

Star wiring WILL mess with your broadband signal, assuming that by "modem" you mean broadband.
Ideally, with that setup, you should have a filter of some sort in the loft at the central point, then connect as many phone lines as you want to the phone side and a single unfiltered broadband link to the broadband side.
(using whatever connection/plug/adapter/wiring scheme you have chosen)

The broadband outlet will also be useable for phone; the simplest way is to plug a normal broadband filter into the socket.

If you move the location of your modem/router you'll need to move wiring in the loft of course.

andy2525

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 06:01:53 PM »

Thank HPsauce

that sounds like something i could do, what kind of filter would you suggest and how would i connect 5 filtered and 1 unfiltered, would i use some sort of junction box or patch panel?
 thanks 

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 06:12:28 PM »

Well, not knowing what you have already, or are familiar with I can't be very specific.

I probably wouldn't do it that way, but if I was I'd put in a patch panel so that it can be flexible in future for phone/broadband/LAN.
On the end of the phone line, assuming it has a modern BT NTE5A I'd fit a filtered faceplate with dual outlets.
(something like ADSLnations version which has separate filtered and unfiltered terminal on the back).
I'd then run short, probably CW1308, cables from the back of the faceplate to junction boxes (one each for phone & broadband) then on from there to the patch panel.

Again, if I was doing it, I'd go the whole way and put router and probably a gigabit switch by the patch panel (which I probably wouldn't have in the loft) and have RJ45 outlets around the house.
(If I needed wireless I'd plug small Wireless Access Points in at appropriate locations.)

andy2525

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 07:00:19 PM »

well i have actually run two cables to each outlet, one for bt and one for RJ45 using modular wall outlets, my plan was to plug the router into a bt socket in my computer room then send the Ethernet signal into the loft via the RJ45 socket in that room, then into a switch and then on to all the other Ethernet outlets.

i dont really want the router in the loft as well so i could just send an unfiltered bt line to my computer room.

still abit unsure about the phone line though, my master socket is in need of updating, i was going to put a new one in the loft, but just read that it is illegal for me to touch it, i dont think bt would install one in my loft. if i had a filtered one put in downstairs and then went up to the loft with 2 cables filter and unfiltered would that be ok

or should i move the router downstairs by the new socket   

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 07:04:14 PM »

or should i move the router downstairs by the new socket   
Yes, absolutely.  :graduate:
Then take separate phone and LAN cables up to your central distribution point.

andy2525

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 07:14:18 PM »

ok then, but can u recommend the best way to connect the phone cables 1 in 6 out 

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 10:54:15 AM »

Hi Andy,

Just in case it is of any interest you could wire your house entirely with RJ 45 skts for maximum flexibility as they can accept a RJ11 plug inserted centrally. You then use a RJ11 lead or dongle filter into any required RJ45 skts for telephony. In case you don't like RJ11 plugs you can use a RJ45 to BT plug dongle device as an alternative solution.

Kind regards,
Walter

andy2525

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 11:10:59 AM »

Hi Walter

I could do it like that, but Ive decided to make it idiot proof with different sockets and id like to keep the phone and Ethernet circuits completely separate so i can achieve the fastest speed possible with no interference

thanks for your interest   

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 11:13:41 AM »

+1 for Walter.
I wouldn't bother with any BT sockets; dual/multiple RJ45 is much more flexible.
And anyway. with modern digital cordless phones how many BT sockets are you likely to use?

As for junction boxes for phone cables Krone strips are normal, but that's for IDC solid-core cables.
If your Cat5e cabling is stranded then any old screw-down junction boxes will do the job.

andy2525

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 10:48:13 PM »

just trying to cover all bases, i can always change modules later im not guna cut the spare pairs out.

it is solid core cable i'll have a look at the krone strips

thanks guys

anything