Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Licence query.  (Read 5509 times)

staffsman

Licence query.
« on: December 28, 2011, 10:07:31 AM »

Hello, I have a query regarding the licence for Adobe Photoshop Elements.

I have had on my PC PSE v5 for a while.  I purchased a copy, box, disc and all and until now I have never felt the need to upgrade to the latest version.
I now read that v.10 is worth moving on to, so I have.  I bought a copy of v.10 from the Adobe on line shop at a very good price.  I bought the whole thing, not just an update so here comes my query.
I have v5 which I am going to uninstall and then plan to install v10.  Is it legal to pass on my copy of v5 to someone else?  It will only be on one computer, just not mine.  As I see it there will be  two computers each with a copy of PSE, just different versions.  I don't intend to sell it on, just pass it on to my brother.  I paid for them both, so surely it is up to me what I do with them as long as I don't copy one or install one copy on two machines?  But I also know that these things are not so simple.
Does anyone know the answer?  It seems stupid to me the have to throw away a perfectly good piece of software just because I have a better/later version.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Licence query.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 10:17:54 AM »

If you own a single-user license the EULA allows you to install it on two computers for non-concurrent use.......and I see nothing in the EULA to say that you must own both the computers.

You should be ok.  :)

staffsman

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 10:59:10 AM »

If you own a single-user license the EULA allows you to install it on two computers for non-concurrent use.......and I see nothing in the EULA to say that you must own both the computers.

You should be ok.  :)

That is great news, I have always thought single user was just that.  I know I should read the licence for sofeware but life is too short, specially when your as old as I am.

Thanks very much.  Now all I have to worry about trying to show my brother how to use it (if only I knew!)

Ray

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 11:31:47 AM »

Yvw.........and any problems or queries about using it...just ask.  :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 01:34:39 PM »

Generally and to stay legal, providing the software (any software) is only installed on one computer at any one time then it does not matter who purchased it, so you can pass it on to who ever you like along with the serial number.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 01:42:52 PM »

so you can pass it on to who ever you like along with the serial number.
You do really need to read the licence terms to be sure of that.
I know of many examples where transfer rights are strictly controlled, not least because generally you buy rights (a licence) to USE software, not to own it.
And manufacturers, especially of more expensive software, put considerable controls in place to ensure compliance.
This often involves, registration, activation, tying to an account via linked to a username and/or email address etc. etc.
At one extreme much "OEM" software has no transfer rights at all and must stay on the same physical computer.

For example I have some expensive diagnostic software that does allow limited relocation to another PC, but only once if I recall correctly, and via a fairly tedious process. (it also requires some hardware as well, though not a "dongle" in the traditional sense))

staffsman

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 04:18:15 PM »

Yvw.........and any problems or queries about using it...just ask.  :)

Thanks for the offer but I won't hold you to it.  PSE can be very frustrating but part of the fun(?) is trying to find out how...and then giving up!

Ray

staffsman

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 04:29:46 PM »

You do really need to read the licence terms to be sure of that.

Now you've gone and spoilt it.
I found the licence agreement, started to read it, got confused, got bored, lost interest.  I think I can use it on 'up to' two computer, there will only ever be one, so I'll give it a try. If anything goes wrong it won't affect my new installation and brother will have to live without it.

Thanks Ray

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 04:50:31 PM »

I think that HPsauce's comment is directed at OF's general point.

In the case of PSEv5 the EULA is as I first posted..........Adobe always grant this leeway with regard to Photoshop/Photoshop Elements but describe it as non-concurrent, meaning that you cannot install on two computers at the same time but you can move it from one to the other providing it is removed from the first.
This arrangement, for instance, lets you move the program onto a new hard drive or a drive on a new motherboard following a hardware failure....in that eventuality a new drive or motherboard is, to Adobe, a different computer.
You are moving the program onto a new drive and a new motherboard......which is fine as long as you take it off the old set up (which is effectively what would happen if your old set up had failed.

One point to look out for when uninstalling from your machine........I know this applies with the full Photoshop and CS suites but am not sure if you get it with Elements........is a request from Adobe to clarify if you are removing the program with a view to re-installing on this or another computer. If you do get that, you would need to check the "another PC" option.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 04:57:32 PM by tuftedduck »

staffsman

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 04:14:09 PM »

I think that HPsauce's comment is directed at OF's general point.
One point to look out for when uninstalling from your machine........I know this applies with the full Photoshop and CS suites but am not sure if you get it with Elements........is a request from Adobe to clarify if you are removing the program with a view to re-installing on this or another computer. If you do get that, you would need to check the "another PC" option.

I have now (at last) found the time to install v10 and un-install v7.  There was no question about if I was going to re-install on another hard drive.
Interestingly, I did find within the licence agreement for v10 that it is OK to install on two machines , one main PC and a laptop as long as they eare used by the same user and not both used at the same time. That at least seems reasonably clear.

Thanks to everyone who has gone to the trouble to offer help and guidance with this little problem/issue.

Ray

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 04:23:32 PM »

:clap2:

anything