Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Our latest disappointing news  (Read 2867 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Our latest disappointing news
« on: December 24, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »

Gentlefolk,

Some of you may remember that, after very significant work, we obtained a RDPE Grant for our Ewhurst project with Vtesse Networks which would have been completed by June last year. Despite being invited to tender BT submitted some non-compliant text, but then under a Non Disclosure Agreement with our RDA - South East England Development Agency, BT had our approved grant blocked as they then said they would install their own solution which we observe is an unsatisfactory short term one.

Although some might think this only a local issue, I think it has serious national implications. It also highlights the fact that most BT FTTCs everywhere fall far short of catering for every exchange-based ADSL broadband service.

http://www.ewhurst-broadband.org.uk/?p=1688

This situation is one of the major reasons I sincerely hope the B4RN project in rural Lancashire is an outstanding success.

Kind regards,
Walter

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Our latest disappointing news
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 11:10:16 AM »

Dear me, it does make you want to tear your hair out!
  Eric

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 12:01:18 PM »

Hi Walter,

I suppose someone, somewhere, could argue that anything is better than nothing, but that is most disappointing news indeed, especially after all the hard work to have reached the point where everything appeared to be finally going the right way for you.

Paul.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 02:09:38 PM »

Big sigh!  :-X

If I had £1500 spare, I would certainly risk investing it in B4RN and I would then propose that the year's free access, to which I would thus be entitled, should be allocated to a local Cat's Home.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 10:04:53 AM »

@ Eric,
That presupposes that:-
A You have any hair
B you have not already done so
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@ Paul,
I am reliably informed that our BDUK Public Servants consider that the Ewhurst débâcle is only a local difficulty. Whilst these brave words might appease their masters and our politicians, it seems that the incalcuable damage to industry, as well as to Ewhurst's residents, has been totally ignored. This situation must surely be rectified as it is becoming increasingly obvious that only the monopolistic and inefficient incumbent obtains some short-term gain whilst competitors refuse to squander their precious resources in futile bidding procedures.

@ BKK
Whilst looking after your pussies, you might also observe that, as a form of Community Interest Company benefitting its community, Her Britannic Majesty's Customs and Revenue Officers will be overjoyed to return 30% of your investment as a tax rebate. I trust this news will persuade hoardes of Kitz's avid readers to participate in one of the few genuinely future-proofed infrastructure projects. Perhaps one day Public Servants might all be persuaded that obfuscation, distorted marketing and inadequate plant maintenance is no solution to UK Plc's vital communications interests.

A happy Christmas day to everyone,
Walter
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 03:55:43 PM by waltergmw »

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 10:49:12 AM »

Why don't the halt fibre  untill they get everyones else connected  to at least 2meg.

After all those that are getting fibre most likely already get well over 2meg connections.

As I  have said before the faster get faster and those with slow connections get nothing.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 11:54:54 AM »

. . . Her Bratannic Majesty's . . .

Hopefully HM, QE2, will not be offended by Walter's typo.  ::)

Merry Christmas, everyone.  ^-^
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 11:25:38 PM »

After all those that are getting fibre most likely already get well over 2meg connections.

As I  have said before the faster get faster and those with slow connections get nothing.

Not necessarily.

Before FTTC I could only achieve a slightly flaky 1 Mb, due to the distance from the exchange.

Unfortunately, there was nothing inbetween, otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered with the extra expense of FTTC.

FTTC effectively brought the exchange closer to my home, giving me proper broadband speeds for the first time ever.

Jonny

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 02:59:52 PM »

Why don't the halt fibre  untill they get everyones else connected  to at least 2meg.

I'll second BaldEagle, it was only 6 yrs ago i could get ADSL at fixed rate 1/2 meg. Even on ADSL Max anything from 0.3 to 0.75meg downloads with hundreds of dropouts a day- not year. Even ADSL2+ (LLU) could useable speeds around 1.5meg at good times often suffering packeting by faster users.
Problem being almost 6km from the exchange and to save money used aluminium for the cable spelt disaster. Couldnt even watch off peak a 1minute youtube vid at 240 without continually buffering, in all took around 4 mins!
Think yourself lucky.

I am now heres what i get, i only pay for up to 2meg upload.

anything