Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: £16 Computer ?.  (Read 29645 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Re: £16 Computer ?.
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2012, 09:44:41 PM »

Just to add, if anyone wants to give it a go.

Raspbmc media centre can be found here http://www.raspbmc.com/

It's origin was the open source Media Centre written for the original Xbox.

Review and demo of it on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW_r1o_0QfI  (actually, there's loads of reviews and demos of raspbmc on youtube - just search!)

Ian

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2012, 03:42:21 PM »

I think I've found the cause of my PI sometimes crashing, and I therefore withdraw my accusations that the ModMyPI case was making it overheat!

When I bought my PI, I already knew that it could be a bit picky about the PSU, and needed a good quality one, so I ordered one suggested for it that I think is rated at 3Amps, even though the PI by itself needs only around 750 - 800mA I think.

Anyway, one of the reasons for crashing can be low voltage.  I finally got around to checking my PI, by putting a meter across TP1 and TP2 on the PI.  This should be a fraction over 5 volts for stable operation.  Mine was struggling to stay there, at one point I saw 4.5 volt as it was booting up.  And this despite me not having anything plugged into the USB ports to draw extra current - no keyboard, no mouse, no disk.

So, think I'm going to have to find a better quality PSU!  And put my PI back in it's case  :D

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2012, 04:04:28 AM »

I have a case and three heat sinks currently in transit to me.  :)

After idly looking at the front of a rarely used VCR, I realised that the composite video output of the R-Pi could be plugged directly into the 'Video In' RCA socket on the VCR and the latter could send the signal, via a Scart connector, to an old television.  ;)

Any suggestions as to how I could send the R-Pi's video output to an old style CRT computer monitor? Iirc, it is a 15-pin D-plug / socket combination. VGA?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2012, 11:10:09 AM »

After idly looking at the front of a rarely used VCR, I realised that the composite video output of the R-Pi could be plugged directly into the 'Video In' RCA socket on the VCR and the latter could send the signal, via a Scart connector, to an old television.  ;)

Yep, that'll work.  And if you've got a 3.5mm audio jack to phono lead, you can send the sound from the Pi through the VCR as well!

Any suggestions as to how I could send the R-Pi's video output to an old style CRT computer monitor? Iirc, it is a 15-pin D-plug / socket combination. VGA?
Unfortunately there's no easy answer to that one.  The refresh rates and frequencies are all totally different to standard TV, so you can't do it without expensive electronics.

From the Raspberry PI FAQ (http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs ) :

What display can I use?

There is composite and HDMI out on the board, so you can hook it up to an old analogue TV, to a digital TV or to a DVI monitor (using a cheap adapter for the DVI). There is no VGA support, but adaptors are available, although these are relatively expensive.

Why is there no VGA support?

The chip specifically supports HDMI. VGA is considered to be an end-of-life technology, so supporting it doesn’t fit with our plans at the moment.

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2012, 03:43:20 PM »

Thank you for confirming my idea. Yes, I do have the requisite lead with 3.5 mm TRS plug to two RCA plugs. So stereo sound and vision it can be.  ;D

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2012, 03:54:28 PM »

I am intrigued to know why 3 heatsinks?  Where do they all go?

I was wondering about fitting one, to the chip in the middle of the board, but there's a reason I held back (apart from not getting around to trying it).  The chip in the middle isn't the processor, it's memory.  The processor is actually below the memory, which is soldered above it!  So I wasn't sure how much CPU cooling would be attained by having a heatsink on something that might not be that well thermally connected to the CPU.  You can't actually see the CPU.

But I will be interested in how you get on :)

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2012, 04:19:18 PM »

One heatsink on the memory/processor combination, the second one on the LAN controller chip (by the LAN & USB ports) and the third one on the voltage regulator.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2012, 04:42:42 PM »

ah!  I will be interested to know how they work out.  I'd read of others saying their LAN was getting hot, but the only chip on mine that does is the RAM/CPU.  Perhaps my low voltage problem is making it run cooler than standard!  ;D

Ian

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2012, 11:20:50 PM »

Just a quick query.

Are there any fellow Kitizens currently doing anything interesting with their R-Pi:-\
Well I do mean too as it's still in the box  :-[ one day  ;)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2012, 09:02:34 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20464651            well done him.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2012, 11:11:59 PM »

:thumbs:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2012, 11:28:04 PM »

Well done that lad!
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2013, 02:33:38 PM »

They have sold a lot of Raspberry Pi's.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/3011

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2013, 02:43:32 PM »

Interesting interview    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qn9zt
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

anything