Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A small reminder - ISP affiliation.  (Read 3809 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
A small reminder - ISP affiliation.
« on: December 16, 2011, 11:21:30 AM »

To to put paid to a wee rumour Ive heard, this site is not financially affiliated in any way with BT... nor any ISP come to that! 

The site is non-profit making and any revenue to cover hosting/running costs is obtained via advertising (which I try to keep to a minimum), private donations and the usual 3rd party-type affiliate links (for eg those in the rotating banner in the header).

« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 11:29:35 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: A small reminder - ISP affiliation.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 11:22:17 AM »

Talking of ISP links/prices...  Im very much aware that the current pricing is not as up to date as it should be :(

This is a mammoth task and because many ISPs now have merged pricing with telecom costs, and the tier pricing structure depending upon location + exchange market, its not as simple as it used to be and could literally become an unpaid full time job.  It doesnt help when ISP's who had promised to keep me updated dont.  Im therefore currently looking at an alternative way of implementing ISP prices to take away a huge burden from me as I tend to spend all my time these days behind scenes stuff + admin.... and not having time for doing the stuff I love like content and or being more visible on the forums.

Just as a matter of interest, do we have any members who are familiar with xml/feeds/php integration... as I may be about to embark on another learning curve  :lol:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

tnp

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 07:43:03 AM »

Just as a matter of interest, do we have any members who are familiar with xml/feeds/php integration... as I may be about to embark on another learning curve  :lol:

Sort of yes..
See http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk

Not sure if I have the time, but ask anyway if you need help..it has to be said most of the XML data scraping was done in 'C'..thats dumped into a Mysql database, and  php calls a second data scraper written in C to get live values: The graphs are done under cron..

Really C has more precise ways to do things than PHP - tend to use that for presentation but let real code do the dirty work.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 09:47:01 AM »

Thanks tnp..  I'm still at the stage of making tentative enquiries, and am not yet certain how Im going to proceed, but I know I need to do something.

There is also something else new thats coming that should help up to date content, that just took a bit longer than originally anticipated, that is now practically ready for release.  Just had a busy week with xmas preps, hosp appts, docs appts and vet appts this week... but should hopefully roll that out very soon. :)
-----

anything