Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Broadband Speed ???? HELP  (Read 7688 times)

AntiTrustUK

• Just arrived
Broadband Speed ???? HELP
« on: October 28, 2007, 06:16:26 PM »

I have broadband with BT I should be getting a really fast speed well about 3MB per second. I use services like Channel 4 and SKY tv on demand. In the mornings the speeds are like 300kb per second and in the evening the speed is 20kb per second ive done a test on BT speed test and the test sais I am getting a download speed of 2700 kb per seconds, so why are my not, I have no firewalls on and I downloading a normal file. But evenings especially Saturday and Sundays its like dial up , what do you think the issue is I used to be with AOL and had speed of 300kb per second all the time. BT say there is a problem with hardware Ive wiped the PC and installed the drivers for the modem twice but still have the same problem. I have now bought a new PC which is top of the range hoping to solve this problem and still the same problem but BT are taking to responsibility and say I am getting the speed I am supposed to be getting. Anyone who can help I would be grateful, there now telling me if I go on to 24 month contract they will send an engineer out for free.

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
Re: Broadband Speed ???? HELP
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 06:48:14 PM »

hi and welcome to the forum

if you are getting 300 kBs in the morning then there isnt a problem with your hardware or drivers.  the slow down in the evening is most likely gonna be BT shaping traffic, ie slowing the speed of your broadband down to accommodate all the useage in your area.

when you say 'a normal file' is this HTTP downloads? or is it some kind of P2P of file sharing?  the reason is, BT dont usually shape HTTP traffic and I find this type of downloads are fine the majority of the time.

can you post up your line stats?  i'm sure some of the more knowledgeable adsl'ers will analyze them for you.
Paul

AntiTrustUK

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 07:36:55 PM »

Not sure but is this what you want?

Exchange: Carfan . BT Code: SWLJ
ADSL enabled : September 29, 2000
dsl Max enabled:  March 30, 2006
SDSL enabled : Enabled
21CN due : 2011
Distance:- Direct:    2.02 km
    (appx)* By Road: 3.06 km

Fixed ADSL:  2048 kbps (2 Mb) 
 DSL Max :   4000 kbps (4 Mb) 

Fixed:  1Mbps and 2Mbps available
 radsl:  512Kbps and 256Kbps available
 MAX:  ADSL Max is available
 SDSL:  1 Mbps available
 SDSL:  1Mb may be available.
 TPON:  TPON/Fibre not recorded
 Check:  The check identified another service on your line which may prevent you from ordering a new ADSL connection. Examples are : Existing adsl connection, DACs, LLU, TPON

adsl 1 linecode : GGEC
  dslmax linecode: GEGEGEC
  sdsl linecode: 1111GGARZZZZEEEE

I am totally new to all this system stuff I download P2P with TV on Demand, takes ages in the evenings and weekends. is there anyway to stop them slowing it down?

« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 07:35:29 AM by AntiTrustUK »

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 10:07:58 PM »

Welcome to the forum

It looks like your 3Mb should be achievable judging from your distance from the exchange, but we really need your particular line stats to see if there is a problem with the line itself.

Go to http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm and find your router/modem and follow the instructions to get your stats & post them here.

AntiTrustUK

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 11:10:50 PM »

Hi is this what you want?

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 3:21:34

Modulation: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 3,392

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 12.76 / 86.70

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 18.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.5 / 47.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 19.0 / 15.5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / P

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1,336

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 11:19:37 PM »

That's what we want. I'm not the best person to interpret the figures, but if you are patient, somebody cleverer than I will be along. Possibly tonight, but certainly first thing tomorrow.

AntiTrustUK

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 11:46:33 PM »

Thanks alot this is a really good board for internet problems, Many thanks

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 07:03:18 AM »

Those stats will give you an IP profile of 2500 kbps, which should enable you to download at up to that speed. So your 'morning' performance is what would be expected, and your connection is working in the way it should. As Pwiggler said, the dire evening performance looks like ISP traffic shaping, or maybe serious congestion. If you use P2P a lot this might explain it, and the only solution would be either to stop using P2P or change to an ISP which doesn't traffic shape.
  Eric

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 07:20:05 AM »

BT use Ellacoyas* now don't they? I would assume you'd get similar P2P performance from BT and Plusnet - there are some people here on Plusnet so they can advise about P2P "issues" during the peak evening times. From what I remember its not likely you'll see decent P2P performance on Plusnet until after midnight - as BT own Plusnet and use the same kit I'd guess it'll be similar performance.

There isn't anything much you can do about it short of moving ISP.

PS - You won't get 3MB/sec (megaBytes). You will get 2.5Mb/sec (megabits). 3MB/sec = more than 24Mb/sec on any ADSL service in the UK. 2.5Mb/sec = 300kB/sec (kiloBytes) :)

*kit for identifying and prioritising different types of network traffic

AntiTrustUK

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 07:29:40 AM »

Thats everyone , so the overall is BT is not good for P2P even through the service is there's with BT Vishion. Does anyone know any ISP's who do not shape there bandwidith. Thanks

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 08:23:51 AM »

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 01:02:25 PM »

>>>> BT use Ellacoyas* now don't they?

i see the swearing filter aint workin  ;)
Paul

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 10:16:45 PM »

>> BT use Ellacoyas* now don't they?

Something that perhaps isnt too well known...  is that BT actually purchased a large amount of ellacoyas probably what must be 2 years ago now.. but it only seems like recent (since more users have been maxed) that theyve been using them in earnest.

The way they are using them is nothing like the way the PN does - in fact either BT havent got to grips with them properly yet - or more likely how much you get throttled seems to depend on your exchange/routing eg it would appear that some exchanges/regions seem to suffer worse than others.
Remember that BT doesnt have central pipes - therefore the ellacoyas would have to be placed on the PoPs.

I have a BT RIN login and a PN login.  The BT RIN performance (for me) over the past few months is appauling at peak.  On average I get around 1.5- 2Mbps during peak... yet I can immediately swap to PN and get 7Mbps.  This can consistantly be repeated.
My own observations of their implementation is that they havent been too clever either..  http can be a poor 1.5Mbps - yet I could open up a few nttp threads to get more speed :D 
Whether theyve corrected this or not recently I dont know - since RIN for me is now a dead duck.
Incidentally they also changed it fairly recent so that the netname is now "BT-Central Plus" rather than the prior BT midband.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 10:58:53 AM »

What's RIN when its at home then?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2007, 12:11:39 PM »

RIN = BT Retail Internet Network

If I use the term Central Plus that may perhaps sound more familiar.   
But basically any ISP can if they wish rather than have their own Centrals use RIN which takes traffic straight out on to the Internet from the Colossus Network.  Rather than Centrals they pay for blocks of GBs that their customers use and BTw does all the Routing etc.

Its quite interesting in that you come off Colossus on the nearest PoP to your destination peer point

eg when chris was also on RIN a (simplified) tracert to chris would go
Me ->  Manchester RAS -> chris

For the Met Office Website
Me -> Manchester RAS -> Birmingham PoP -> peer point -> Met Office Server

For the BBC site
Me -> Manchester RAS -> Ilford PoP -> telehouse peer point -> BBC

For my own website
Me -> Manchester RAS -> Ealing PoP -> peer point -> kitz.co.uk

One advantage of RIN is that latency can be quite good and knock several ms off ping times as you dont have to divert through ISP centrals first.
A few of us first trialled RIN about a year ago now and it was very good.  However I noticed over the past couple of months things have got slower...  This also possibly seems to co-incide around the time of the netname change I mentioned above.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: [1] 2