Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT release next 178 exchanges to be upgraded for FTTC  (Read 6610 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
BT release next 178 exchanges to be upgraded for FTTC
« on: December 12, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2011/12/12/bt-reveals-next-178-uk-locations-for-its-superfast-broadband-rollout.html

I knew mine wasn't going to be on so ........... :'(

I'm at the furthest end  as to where my exchange reaches out to,the next exchange in the other direction is(Woodhouse)and thats on the list >:(

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: BT release next 178 exchanges to be upgraded for FTTC
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 01:08:15 PM »

You are not alone, unkyUb.......no sign of my rural exchange on the list.. :(

But we Kitizens must be on the alert as I see that Kitz's exchange is on the list.......she'll soon be on here sweeping and cleaning up at treble speed.. ;D

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 05:46:56 PM »

Thanks for the update as my exchange is now on the list but I think it's only a provisional list and so my exchange may not get upgraded after all  :-\
Mike

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 05:54:50 PM »

Also I think that even if your exchange is upgraded, if the cabinet that your phone line is connected to isn't given the FTTC treatment then you are not going to benefit.
Mike

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 08:11:18 PM »

Also I think that even if your exchange is upgraded, if the cabinet that your phone line is connected to isn't given the FTTC treatment then you are not going to benefit.

Very true, my exchange went fibre a year or so ago, I'm 2.06Km straight line from the exchange and not "out in the sticks" but still unable to get FTTC.

I think if Virgin cable is in your area the less likely you are to see BT's fibre.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 11:25:11 PM »

@ Oranged,

The observations I have made around Guildford suggest it's far more likely to be the number of potential services within a PCP.
Also remember that BT work from their database of postcodes and cabinet positions. There are a substantial number of quite obvious errors that any person familiar with their locality can spot, especially as the postcodes jump out at you as being quite dissimilar.

Furthermore, as there is significantly more revenue available from leased lines in industrial estates, you will probably find that NONE of those areas are catered for.

Kind regards,
Walter

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 09:27:47 AM »

We have got new FTTC boxes but no exchange update,the reason is we are on the Digital Region project(which is nothing to do with BT).The new cabinet is just round the corner from us and after putting my postcode into www.littlebigone.com it says we can get 40mb downstream and 10mb upstream.

It is £25 a month though and like all the isp's that have come onto the Digital Region project I have never heard of them so its anyone's guess what their support will be like.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 10:02:27 AM »

@ Uncy,

They should be small enough to remember who are.
As they have a reputation to make, it's a fair bet they can't be worse than you-know-who !

Kind regards,
Walter

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 10:03:36 AM »

Very true, my exchange went fibre a year or so ago, I'm 2.06Km straight line from the exchange and not "out in the sticks" but still unable to get FTTC.

I think if Virgin cable is in your area the less likely you are to see BT's fibre.

Not so.  Our whole exchange area is served by Virgin Media cable and has been since the 90s.  Yet, still BT has put in FTTC in the last 3 months at 40Meg down, with rumours (from the BT engineers) that it will go up to 80Meg next year.

Colin

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 10:18:39 AM »

@ Uncy,

As they have a reputation to make, it's a fair bet they can't be worse than you-know-who !

Kind regards,
Walter

Hi Walter,  :)

My O2 contract runs till next July so by that time there should be more users/feedback.I will assess it again at that point.

At present I only have a desk top computer which I use wired,I can just about squeeze between 2.5 to 3mb out of my connection,but I am wanting to get a lap top and use it wireless which would mean a slower connection speed to what I get now,so before that happens I would want to have a fibre connection.

littlebigone

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 05:29:46 PM »

@ Uncy,

Kind regards,
Walter

You are absolutely right, we do have a reputation to make and sustain. We recognise we won't get this automatically. If it helps (in the meantime) we operate a 24/7 techncial and customer service desk (based in our own offices), so you can be sure we can provide you with assistance any time of day or night!

If you have any questions at all, please visit our website, where you can online chat with us, or give us a call if you prefer.

Thanks for your interest!
littlebigone.com

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 06:23:11 PM »

@ Colin,

It's more than a rumour of 80 Mbps. The BT FTTC already supports "Up To" (but they never say down to !) 80 Mbps sync speed.
In practice this is reduced by a small amount due to the IP profile and sometimes a much larger amount when your line is noisy (be it long or short).
However in their "infinite" wisdom we believe they are the only VDSL2 supplier worldwide who attempts to conceal the modem's statistics.
Asbokid, bald_eagle1 and burakkucat can demonstrate that the enhanced profiles are operational, but with mixed successes.
They are however not yet available from a commercial viewpoint.

You are absolutely correct that BT are providing FTTC in direct competition with Virgin media with very little in non Virgin areas.
EDIT As an example a small area of Guildford (with almost complete VM coverage as well) I have investigated is illustrated here:-

http://www.scribd.com/doc/78678471

BT's disgraceful tactics** in Ewhurst are one of the few areas in Surrey where there is a FTTC deployment without Virgin media being present.
There is another non-virgin FTTP and FTTC deployment at Capel just south of Dorking as they "won" a race to infinity but it is rumoured that the FTTP deployment is significantly more costly than anticipated.
To give them their due they decided to run the partial pilot so good luck to the very fortunate residents.

** See

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,10408.msg207065.html#msg207065

The sad fact is that in our area there are 50 mm Virgin Media ducts direct to almost every house, except for new estates, which is just begging to have e.g. miniflex.co.uk DVC (TM) Microduct so for minimal investment all those using a VM service could have real FTTP. Just for comparison I've added a speedtest.net picture below, although I've yet to see normal downloads achieve anywhere near this speed.

(Sorry to have hi-jacked the thread a bit !

I have some more to come later this evening too !)

Kind regards,
Walter

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 08:53:55 PM by waltergmw »

anything