Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: WWF Carbon Footprint  (Read 12841 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: WWF Carbon Footprint
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2007, 01:13:05 PM »

Hmmm there does seem to be a bit of smoke in more ways than one :D

The company is owned by the BISL Group who also would appear to own other companies such as
Budgetinsurance.com, dialdirect.co.uk, bennetts.co.uk, bglgroup.co.uk and many more...

One of the things I find strange is one of their companies is also "Rev for a reason" whose motto appears to be "make a Noise - Make a difference".
Now I know its about safety.. but this sort of thing is hardly eco friendly is it?

http://www.revforareason.net/gallery.php?a=play&v=29&p=1
http://www.revforareason.net/gallery.php?a=play&v=28&p=2
etc
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2007, 03:16:02 PM »

I re-iterate what I said earlier on in the thread.

Stop driving

Stop flying

Nothing else a UK consumer does will make any meaningful difference to their carbon footprint. Anything else you do is for monetary cost savings - nothing else.

I do encourage people to go discover this for themselves. Justin Rowlatt's "Ethical Man" blog is probably the best practical reference for people in the UK. Just go to the Newsnight site on the BBC and read.

There quite simply aren't enough "green" energy sources in the UK to supply even the people who think they are on a renewable "supply" now.

Smoke and mirrors.

Offsetting is nonsense - pure and simple. Yes we can fund projects which stop people in the third world burning wood/producing charcoal when solar alternatives (nobody should be deploying solar power unless you have 200+ days of sun/year) are available. No it DOESN'T do anything other than salve the conscience of those of us in the "first world" (perjorative term or what?). These projects were being funded before - via ordinary people contributing. Now we have farces like Sky claiming to be "carbon neutral". In beancounter terms maybe - applying common sense and what do you think?

Smoke and mirrors.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 03:20:00 PM by rizla »

johnkitz

• Just arrived
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2007, 04:40:45 PM »

Guys
I need to travel UK to Italy job and pleasure - just one journey - me and my wife.
So which is best - carbon-wise? fly or drive via tunnel/ferry - there are no other reasonable alternatives. I need to know the carbon output of a car that exists anyway - it is the burning of petrol and wear'n'tear
compared with
a flight which might fly with empty seats if I don't fly but my purchase will encourage the flight to be put on in the future

Thanks, John
(no  - you shouldn't do it at all - I have to come to terms with that by reducing my other carbon emissions)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2007, 06:09:25 AM »

Hi John, and welcome.

To be honest, I don't think it's possible to make a proper assessment. There are just too many interdependent issues. If it's just a one-off then you should simply do what's most suitable for you.
  Eric

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2007, 07:14:02 AM »

I agree with Eric.

If its likely to become a regular trip then I'd say take the train and just rent a car at the other end. Personally I can't stand driving a right-hand drive car on the continent so I'd be inclined to rent a car anyway.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything