Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HD Freeview box  (Read 3666 times)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
HD Freeview box
« on: November 11, 2011, 12:39:14 PM »

Hi all,

We're thinking of buying an HD Freeview recordable box as OH really would like to view some programmes in HD.  We already have SKY+ but don't want to pay extra monthly for their HD box.  Two questions really, can we attach the freeview box (with HDMI cable...I know that much lol) and still have the SKY box and can both record at the same time should programmes coincide?  Second question...any recommendations for which reasonably priced box to buy please?

Thanks in advance for your help.    :)
Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: HD Freeview box
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 12:51:56 PM »

Hello Chrissie :)

First question: yes, you can have both boxes connected by different interfaces and watch either on the TV set. You may not get automatic switching though, so you'll probably have to select the source you want using the TV remote control. The two boxes can record different programmes at the same time, whether the TV is on or not.

Second question: I have no personal experience, so can't offer a recommendadtion. But I would suggest that you think about whether you'll really see any benefit with HD. In order to see the difference you need either quite a large TV or to be sitting rather close to the TV.

Eric

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 01:07:01 PM »

Thanks for that Eric, appreciate your help.  We have a 32" Panasonic Viera it's HD ready but we need the box for freeview in HD because the inbuilt one in the TV is SD.  Hopefully we should see a difference it's just knowing which one to get though.  :-\   :)

Chrissie

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 01:07:28 PM »

Hi Chrissie,

As Eric says, I see no reason at all that the SKY and Freeview boxes wouldn't co-exist, and record alongside one another.

I have no experience of freeview HD boxes as I built my own (computer-based) system.   I often seem to hear good things said about Humax freeview HD boxes, but have no personal experience. 

I'd not entirely agree with Eric's pessimism regarding the advantages.    Even though we view our (40") TV from about 12 feet away the difference is very noticeable - so much so that I've become a bit of an 'HD snob', and tend to turn my nose up at anything not broadcast in HD.    There would be even more benefit with a bigger TV (or with a smaller TV, sitting closer), but I'm unlikely to get purchase approval for that any time soon.

The downsides/disappointments are:

1) That the HD channels all have station logos, which I detest.  But that may not bother everybody (if you have Sky, you may already be used to it).

2) Much of what's currently broadcast on the HD channels isn't HD at all, it's just upscaled SD and you'll see very little difference from a pure SD broadcast. ITV tend to be more honest about it, specifying 'Upscaled' in the program guide, whereas BBC like to keep you guessing.  Feature films and major dramas/documentaries are usually true HD.

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 01:12:23 PM »

I know NOTHING about them either Chrissie, BUT seeing  sevenlayermuddle's mention of Humax reminded me that, whilst in Spain recently, friends of our had a Humax Freeview HD box and were delighted with it.     :)

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 02:53:11 PM »

I have had a Humax PVR for about 4 years now and been delighted with it.  When I move onto HD I'll certainly stick with Humax.  :)

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 03:41:07 PM »

Another vote for Humax - we have both Humax Freeview HD and Freesat HD recorders.  Excellent piece of kit and they update the software in them over-the-air as and when needed - future-proofing your purchase for a bit longer.  We had a Humax Freeview SD recorder for many years and passed it on to the aged father-in-law.  It must have been one of the first they sold in the UK and still going strong.

Colin

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 03:49:31 PM »

Aww thanks everybody, I appreciate all the input.  Funny Humax should be mentioned here with good reviews, I had previously looked at Argos and the first one was a Humax so I read the reviews on that and most were saying the same thing.  Now it's been mentioned a few times here and because I really don't want to trawl through all the data/info...it may well be the Humax model we get that I saw on Argos so thank you so much for your help everyone.

Chrissie

anything