Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TI AR7  (Read 2929 times)

TI AR7
« on: October 22, 2007, 01:09:05 PM »

This one has been coming for a while I feel :

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/22/zen_ar7_infineon_bt_fault/

I know Zyxel stopped using it a while back.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: TI AR7
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 02:03:21 PM »

hmmm  not sure about this and some of the routers mentioned on that list.

For example, there are many people that have managed to maintain sync using Netgear DG834G (v1v2)s when no other router would.  I notice the DLink DSL G604T is also on the list but refer to this post.

Nothing which BT had supplied would sync but the 604T did immediately and has been very stable ever since - 25 RX error packets in 5 days exceeds no connection for 3 months by a long way.  It even syncs with the NTE5 faceplate removed and a bog-standard ADSL filter in the "test" socket.

I havent had chance to read everything yet, but one of the first things that strikes me is that this is going to cause a lot of scare mongering.

For example this post
notice that the Netgear DG834G is on the list. I've been using one of these for donkey's years, without problem. However, my other half has had no end of grief with her's. This router is shipped as standard by Sky,...  this could well be the answer

Sky ships DG834GTs which are a Broadcom chipset.   So in effect hes just said the exact opposite of the report - hes jumping to the wrong conclusion that he's found the answer when he obviously hasnt.

I imagine many more people will too :(
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 01:10:44 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 02:30:06 PM »

All I know really is what Zyxel told me - they were phasing out models based on the AR7 due to "incompatibilities" between it and certain models of DSLAMs. That was a good while back and I don't really remember much else about it. I'd emailed tech support in Denmark (they do the firmware for all models sold in Europe - UK tech support is a waste of time) about an unrelated issue and the response was basically "there won't be any more firmware for your model". Having tested it today it doesn't sync at ADSL2+ rates (G992.5) but syncs at ADSL2 (G992.3) so its pointless for me anyway. That means it sync'd at G992.3 on Be and also now on UKO so there's definitely something amiss - although I do know someone in Stockholm who used one on ADSL2+ about 2 years ago and he certainly sync'd at G992.5 rates.

I've been (vaguely) aware of Zen advising users not to use routers with the AR7 for some time now. If they have come out publically and said this then I suspect they have info we're not yet aware of. Skyfire (Phil Long) isn't one to go shooting his mouth off IMHO.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 02:33:00 PM »

Well, in response to that I've edited that wiki page to clarify which Netgears have the AR7, just doing my bit for the community ;)

I must admit, thinking about it, my DG834Gv2 didn't like it much when I was on Interleaved. It's rock solid on Fast path tho
Chris