Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Proper broadband  (Read 2324 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Proper broadband
« on: October 26, 2011, 09:28:13 AM »

Gentlefolk,

Now if only some larger CPs had taken this approach we would have far fewer Bald Eagles !

Kind regards
Walter

http://gigaclear.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=0be659816fd0af6a180a7a4e4&id=f0cbd40f1d&e=4e5f3056eb

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Proper broadband
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 10:09:43 AM »

Thats all well and good Walter,but don't all isp's say on their websites say what wonderful speeds/support they offer,the proof is actually delivering whats promised.

AdrianH

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 11:47:18 AM »

Rutland have proved they deliver where "others" fail ..... ;)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 12:35:44 PM »

I've just had a good nosey round the website and I applaud the initiative of Hambleton.
Searching through the FAQ's 10 Mbps symmetric at all times across the Gigaclear network is guarenteed.
There is none of this upto business or sorry your too far away nonsense. What I didn't find was any prices for the service.
The website is a good read and looks kosher.

Nice one Walter.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »

If this service is a good as it states then I take my hat off to the company.We as UK broadband users have become very wary of all these so called promises isp's make and never seem to fulfil when you sign up with them.

As a comparison a couple of isp's who are on the digital region seem to have a 'couldn't care less' attitude.I contacted them both by telephone and email to enquire about what they have to offer.One didn't even phone me back or reply to my email.The other took 2 days to send me an email reply,hardly encouraging signs to enter into a contract with them.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 01:14:24 PM »

Searching through the FAQ's 10 Mbps symmetric at all times across the Gigaclear network is guarenteed.

Yes, SS, from their FAQ...

Every customer guaranteed a minimum service level of 10 Mbps symmetric at all times across the Gigaclear network. Higher guaranteed minimum speeds can be purchased. Customers can burst over their guaranteed minimum at up to 1Gbps.

...yes, that's heaps more useful and more honest than anything I've seen from other ISPs.  All the same, it's a shame that the headline implies 'gigabit' , whereas the (reliable) reality turns out to be 100 times less.   :(

I understand all the good technical reasons behind that 10Mbit guarantee, but I suspect the population at large won't understand it, and the press reports certainly won't.  People will see 'gigabit' and expect 'gigabit', whenever they want it.

Also, I see no mention of data allowances or FUPs. Clearly, to be able to make any sensible (or even occasional) use of gigabit speeds, a generous allowance would be needed.    Rutland's existing 'home' offering seem to offer a 25GB monthly allowance, which I don't think would be nearly enough for a gigabit service...

All the same, it does look quite promising to me, good find, Walter.   :fingers:

- 7LM

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 03:36:54 PM »

Gentlefolk,

Perhaps we are all overlooking the fact that a true fibre network has far fewer difficulties when compared to the GPO Public Switched Telephone Network D sides of varying lengths and qualities as experienced elsewhere.

I think the official launch is tomorrow so I would expect some actual speedtest results thereafter.
However it does look promising for those folk able to get the service.

Kind regards,
Walter

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 03:53:49 PM »

I think the official launch is tomorrow so I would expect some actual speedtest results thereafter.
However it does look promising for those folk able to get the service.

Lucky them

I wish I lived in a cable(Virgin)area,I would have it like a shot.We moved here 12 years ago from no more than 2 miles away.Our old address was the first area in Sheffield to get cable,(it was at that time a company called Yorkshire Cable),That was around 1994.All these years later and many areas still without.