Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Master Socket  (Read 10358 times)

dave.m

• Kitizen
BT Master Socket
« on: October 21, 2007, 12:21:00 AM »

I know it is rather naughty to play around with the back of the BT Master Sockets.  :no:

But in about a week I am going over to Orange Homemax where they take over the BT line and charges.
Does anyone know if I can change the box to a newer NTE5 Master Socket when Orange take responsibility for the line, without telling them?  :-X

Had a look at the small print but could not find anything barring me from doing it. I will do it, anyway. It is only two wires that I must not allow to touch each other. It will make it easier for me to run a couple of extension lines instead of having the double plug sticking out of the front. A much neater job.

dave 

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: BT Master Socket
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 07:11:11 AM »

I'm quite sure that you're not allowed to do it, and if anything goes badly wrong you could end up getting a big bill for remedial work. But as you say, it's only two wires, so it's difficult to mess up. If anyone rings up while you're in the middle of it you may get a small electric shock.

All in all, we couldn't possibly recommend that you do such a thing. It would be entirely at your own risk.
  Eric

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 09:43:06 AM »

Regardless of who you pay the bill too the line and master socket remains the property of BT. As mentioned that menas you shouldnt play with the network side.

Without recommending such action if you did decide to replace the socket just make sure that it is a BT or openreach branded one and that you wire it as if it was installed by BT.

If an enginner did visit no questions would likely be asked then unless they looked up your line history and saw that there were no faults or installation jobs where such work would have taken place. Another give away would be a grubby or tanned backbox with a brilliant white socket attached to it.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 03:59:40 PM »

BT will know if youve messed with the socket and they take a dim view of anyone that does :/

>> anyone know if I can change the box to a newer NTE5 Master Socket

There is one way which you can get around that If you have old style "star wiring" without an NTE5 master socket, then you can still legally fit an NTE5 line box by following the clarity guide here.

http://clarity.it/telecoms/nte5.htm
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 06:38:48 PM »

BT will know if youve messed with the socket and they take a dim view of anyone that does :/

Ah here I go again annoying people I like but....

It's simply not true kitz. In 99% of new build houses BT have no clue where the master socket is and nor do they know who put it in. It certainly wouldn't have been BT - not in the last 15 years.

They certainly take a "dim view" of people messing with their wiring but BT have no idea in most cases where the master socket is in houses built after 1990. Ask Yarwell if you doubt this ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 08:56:48 PM »

>> Ah here I go again annoying people I like but....

haha..  have you tried that one with Albertring (or who ever he in nowadays).  The thing is you and I know that there is certain things you can get away with..  but advising someone to do it - well thats up to them and the risk they want to take.
Someone like Phil knows what hes doing.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 10:36:27 PM »

Cheers for the advice, All.
It wasn't a matter of asking what to do or instructions on how to do it.  :-X

I was more curious about who is going to be responsible for the line and socket after Orange take over from BT on my line. I cannot even find in the Orange small print who I would have to report a line fault to, them or BT. It would be interesting to see who came and fixed it if I had one.

I will get it all set up and then start asking a few questions of Orange.  ;)

As it's a fairly new thing they are doing I suppose it may have things that need clearing up.
I will keep you good people informed.
dave

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 10:57:12 PM »

> It would be interesting to see who came and fixed it if I had one

BT, still. The physical cable and box etc still belongs to BT. Orange are only renting the use of the line from BT, not the actual line itself.
Chris

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 05:56:40 PM »

Thanks for clearing that up, Chris.

Just to follow up, when I got down to the socket and scraped 3+ layers of emulsion off it, I discovered that it is a NTE5 Master so I was able to connect my extension cable straight into the back.

Rather flukey too. My old IDC plastic tool was a bit beyond use, to say the least, so I jumped into the car to go and see if  the village lecky shop had one. On the way off the Park where we live, I spotted an Open Reach chap just about to check out a telegraph pole and asked if he knew where I might get a new tool from. He went to his van and gave me a brand new Krone IDC tool. I asked him how much and he said I owed him a pint if I ever saw him in a pub. Very Nice Man and wasn't I jammy?

All problems solved for now. Thanks everyone.

dave

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 06:01:30 PM »

Jammy sod :P
Chris

anything