Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: BT Street Cabinets  (Read 26995 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: BT Street Cabinets
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 06:37:49 PM »

Dependent upon what you need (as distinct to would like) from your broadband connection, I would be very tempted to make do with what you currently have. It is clear that the organisation of the YDR still has a lot to be arranged.

Even though I would like a slightly faster connection I am being put off by a) The availability of isps to give me a fibre connection,and b) The worry should things go wrong and (correct me if I'm wrong),but BT would not have any responsibility for my fibre connection,so I would be at the mercy of my isp,or is it down to digital region to maintain the new street cabinets etc

Getting back to my own connection I can sync at around 3mb after a reboot,but sometimes it won't hold that speed for any long periods and re-syncs lower(as above stats)

At present I am paying O2 LLU £6.95 for an up to 20mb connection with unlimited downloads and no throttling(I chose to stay on the old package instead of moving to one of their new packages,which are £1 cheaper
It was £9.50 a month,but their retentions dept offered me the discount when I decided to renew earlier this year
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 06:42:42 PM by UncleUB »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 09:51:49 PM »

b) The worry should things go wrong and (correct me if I'm wrong),but BT would not have any responsibility for my fibre connection,so I would be at the mercy of my isp,or is it down to digital region to maintain the new street cabinets etc

Indeed. That would also be my concern. I wonder if Walter has an opinion on this aspect?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 01:22:44 PM »

Just had a nice chap phone me from Origin BB,told me my house was 240 yards from new FTTC cabinet.I asked him who actually maintains the new cabinets/cables if I had any problems ...

A company called Thales is apparently contracted to maintain them if there is any problems.

I told him I was still under contract with O2,he didn't put any pressure on me,but said call when you contract expires and said there are new packages etc coming out all the time so hopefully next year there will be more to chose from etc.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 05:38:17 PM »

I told him I was still under contract with O2,he didn't put any pressure on me,but said call when you contract expires and said there are new packages etc coming out all the time so hopefully next year there will be more to chose from etc.

Hi UncleUB,

You may wish to consider Plusnet when your current contract is due to expire.
Plusnet are actually owned by BT so fault resolution should be a very simple matter, shouldn't it?

Paul.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 05:47:51 PM »

Hi UncleUB,

You may wish to consider Plusnet when your current contract is due to expire.
Plusnet are actually owned by BT so fault resolution should be a very simple matter, shouldn't it?

Paul.

Hi Paul

Digital Region has nothing to do with BT,its totally separate.My BT exchange hasn't been upgraded so getting FTTC with BT or any other isp(other than those on the digital region scheme) is a no goer.

This is one of the ones available

www.origin-broadband.co.uk

www.digitalregion.co.uk

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 08:31:26 PM »

Just had a nice chap phone me from Origin BB,told me my house was 240 yards from new FTTC cabinet.I asked him who actually maintains the new cabinets/cables if I had any problems ...

A company called Thales is apparently contracted to maintain them if there is any problems.

I know Walter is currently assisting a "long-lined" and troubled user in the Ewhust area today. I suspect he will post his opinion when time duly permits.

I am aware of the company Thales but do not have any first-hand nor anecdotal evidence of their reliability for telecommunications / networking maintenance.

Wait and see is, in my opinion, the current best course of action.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 03:24:28 PM by burakkucat »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »

Hi Paul

Digital Region has nothing to do with BT,its totally separate.My BT exchange hasn't been upgraded so getting FTTC with BT or any other isp(other than those on the digital region scheme) is a no goer.

This is one of the ones available

www.origin-broadband.co.uk

www.digitalregion.co.uk

I see they are also based in Yorkshire, so when the time comes, you too will no doubt be able to receive some of that "Good Honest Broadband From Yorkshire"

Paul.

P.S. Is anyone detecting a slight tinge of sarcasm in my more recent posts?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2011, 12:33:44 AM »

P.S. Is anyone detecting a slight tinge of sarcasm in my more recent posts?

Yes. ::)

I wonder if you, a Lancastrian resident, realise that Uncle is a Yorkshire man who knows all that needs to be known about rabbit pie sandwiches -- unless, of course, you are deliberately attempting to restart the War of the Roses. :-X

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2011, 08:18:15 AM »

My local exchange(Attercliffe) has not been enabled for fibre,nor is there any date/plans to do so.I have raised this matter with my MP.

So until that happens(if ever),the only way I will be able to get a faster connection is through The Digital Region initiative,and the isp's who are signed up to it(at present 3)

So I can forget the likes of BT,Plustnet etc who can only supply a FTTC connection  if your exchange has be enabled for this technology

Now who mentioned Lancashire  :shoot: ;D

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2011, 04:33:50 PM »

Now who mentioned Lancashire  :shoot: ;D

I don't like to mention it, but as born & bread Lancashire lad, I have to admit that where I live, although being in Lancashire/Greater Manchester since 1974, was at one time classed as being in the West Riding of Yorkshire.

Paul.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2011, 07:46:57 PM »

It's them durned Tudors and there Roses. :P ;D
Pages: 1 [2]