Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I've had a crash!!  (Read 2296 times)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
I've had a crash!!
« on: August 10, 2011, 03:18:45 PM »

:cry2: And yes I had my data backed up, but the drive it was on was corrupted as well.  :comp: :wall:
It was my fault the PC crashed so I can live with that, it's the two years of weather data that I have lost that I'm not pleased about.
It's a good job I don't run a site like yours kitz. I'm back up and running now though. It's just all the apps that need loading and configuring.
Back to it.

Just in case I had been missed.! :baby:
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: I've had a crash!!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »

Oh dear Colin  :(

Nice to see you back with us though  :)

And I was moaning about 13 M/S updates this morning  ;D

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 03:36:58 PM »

Colin, you startled me !I thought you meant in your car   :o      ................thank goodness it was only your pc.    ;D     You've lost your weather data    -  just enter it again and put  rain  !!   

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 03:53:18 PM »

You can get caught out, even when you keep backups. :(    I'm pleased you're up and running again. :)
  Eric

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 05:11:52 PM »

Sorry for startling people, I thought it might get some attention though. >:D
From what I remember of the graphs that I had accumulated there was quite a lot of high temperatures ( for us anyway ). Ah! well it's gone.
Yes Roseway one can get caught out with backups. How many should one keep? I realize for a forum then the posts do need to be backed up a couple or three times, but that is only one type of dynamic data. I had all sorts of documents, images and even music all over the place on the pc. To keep more than one backup of it would mean spending more time backing up than working at it. Never mind as someone said the sun will rise tomorrow.
Nice plums UncleUB, I never thought I would say that to a bloke.  ???

scottiesmum

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 05:18:28 PM »

Glad you still have your sense of humour Colin   ;D      here's a  :flower: to remind you of the sunny days  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 10:10:43 PM »

Glad youre back.  :thumbs:  Believe me I know just how you feel.   

I lost both my main drive and backup drive only a few weeks ago.  Although I am back up and running, I still dont have what I consider to be a full and satisfactory backup solution for my C Drive.
I bought a NAS on which a lot of files are backed up to using robocopy..  but I seem to be having problems finding something that will take a (compressed) image of my CDrive to the NAS.  I think Im either going to have to shell out for ghost enterprise or buy yet another drive which I can attach via SATA to the PC.  The past few months have been very expensive with vets bills and now the boiler and Ive just stretched my limit with bank of MandD

>>  It's a good job I don't run a site like yours kitz.

My work in progress was lost.  The local backup was recovered... but one of the advantages of paying for an advanced business package is that anything on the server is also remotely backed up by my host each day. :)

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 10:25:14 PM »

Yes I read all the posts Kitz about your outages. It's good that you can get the data backed up with the package you have.
It's not really worth that sort of layout for a personal system such as mine.
I do leave all my mail on the servers just in case I have a crash. I learned that a while back. I don't have mountains of emails but I do have four different addresses and each server saves the mail for me.
Sorry to hear about the boiler issue. Still it's better that gets sorted before the cold weather arrives.