Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: No downstream connection speed recorded  (Read 8607 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: No downstream connection speed recorded
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2011, 07:09:28 PM »

Good result (at last). :clap2:
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2011, 08:14:46 PM »

Excellent news, TD.

Now if only an OR engineer could disconnect "BT India" and replace it with a connection to "BT mid-point of the UK", then many people will be a lot happier. ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2011, 09:41:31 PM »

what I don't get (as a comms/radar engineer) is how on earth anyone cannot complete a job and say it's sorted  :no:

How can this be allowed to continue ?? I appreciate there  are many links in the chain, but the audit trail should be there AND ACCURATE. Is no-one in OR held accountable for these things ?? In my line, individuals can be held accountable by a board of enquiry (in extreme cases) if things go wrong due to incorrect/negligent servicing. Surely a fault should be worked UNTIL IT IS CLEARED, not for an hour and then left without a solution (parts allowing).

sorry, rant over..... but it is not circumstances like this that give the engineering community generally a bad name ???
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 09:35:47 AM »

Gunjack, if you read further up this thread, I've hinted as to why scenarios like this occur. It's nearly always the SP's who are at fault, NOT Openreach. It is they who 'are in control' of how jobs are progressed, and as to what they decide to tell the EU.
We do have an audit trail immediately a job is passed to Openreach, and it is enforced to its fullest.

We don't just work for little old ladies, or the Butcher down the road. We work on a whole array of circuits, all with their own degree of importance. From MoD lines, Scotland Yard, Hospitals, Banks and Building Societies, Police, Ambulance Service, Fire Service ....... etc etc.  Each and every job has an audit trail. It has to.

Unfortunately, most EU's are left at the behest of the SP's and the advice they are given. I call SP's (as part of my Broadband work) most days, and am left flabberghasted at some of the conversations we have !!!. Poor training perhaps ??

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 05:36:19 PM »

Hi

quote Poor training perhaps ??

first line probably none ,just script reading  :(

Regards Jeff
zen user

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 07:07:13 PM »

Update.

The eight local BT Broadband EUs are again without an internet connection.........and the symptoms are exactly the same as before.

BT have advised that they are "treating the matter as an urgent priority" and have scheduled an engineer's visit for............6th. May.

What a shambolic third rate outfit they are.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2011, 07:09:07 PM »

You couldn't make it up. Shambolic indeed. :(
  Eric

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2011, 10:59:10 PM »

raz - I appreciate what you're saying, but what I meant (if I didn't make it clear, sorry, did end up as a bit of a rant) was that you work a fault until it is cleared (parts allowing) or a definite timescale is put on the fix (parts delivery, etc). As TD pointed out, the info must have come from eng bod, or are the call centres just making stuff up ?? no, wait, surely that doesn't happen  :lol:
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 02:20:25 AM »

BT have advised that they are "treating the matter as an urgent priority" and have scheduled an engineer's visit for............6th. May.
In my book, "treating the matter as an urgent priority" would entail an engineer's visit today, 2nd May.   >:(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011, 08:32:14 AM »

Gentlefolk,

Given the history so far the response time for this multiple failure problem is quite unacceptable.
I suggest it's time to escalate this matter to the highest levels, if for no other reason than to get a proper explanation.
It is just possible (but unlikely) that the fault is caused by some software or database incompatibility as was experienced in the Edinburgh RAS router failure a few weeks back.

However it could still take a significant time and BT are renowned for their sparcity of information on any problem.
When RP talks of "reseating" he probably means removing at least one printed circuit board and reinserting it as firmly as possible to "clean" the gold plated male contacts and the female receptacles.
However if the problem is actually a damaged motherboard with the female components, that could take some time to source and replace as that type of problem is more unusual. It would also have the potential to disturb many more services on all the boards in the rack.

Perhaps someone with practical experience of this type of exchange equipment could add some thought on this ?

Kind regards,
Walter

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 03:57:12 PM »

If it's the card that's faulty, its a simple case of a swap out. The engineer will not fault to component level. It may be a 50v D.C bus-fuse thats blown, or the actual 240v power supply feed to the rack ????  I don't work on the DSL equipment racks, but believe me, there's not much to them that an engineer could actually 'fault'.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2011, 08:10:37 AM »

Update.

Transmission Engineers.........(two of them, all the way from Glasgow).........visited the exchange on Wednesday last and appear to have done the needful.. :clap2:

All BT BB users here are smiling again, and are all synching at approx 8200Mbsps.......the max. on this exchange.

I don't know exactly what the engineers did, but did it they did..so to speak.  ;D

Thanks for all the comments and advices...hopefully this sorry saga is now at an end.  :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2011, 08:43:45 AM »

Excellent result  :thumbs:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats