Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: no sync with voyager 2100  (Read 19168 times)

Jack Hackett

no sync with voyager 2100
« on: August 14, 2007, 02:25:56 AM »

Hi folks,

I have been using a BT Voyager 2100 router for some time now without any issues, until now that is.  As of last Friday, her in doors was complaining to me about losing the internet connection all the time, I finally had chance to investigate late on Sunday (I wasnt feeling well)
the connection was consistently dropping out and the DSL light just keeps flashing as it struggles to sync to the exchange.
My IP profile has plummeted from 4500kbps to 135kbps and less
Looking at the stats on the router, while it gave me chance to, the Line Attenuation db was bouncing all over the place, 60db - 68db - 70db even 105db at some point.
Noise Margin too recorded similar figures.
I did all the usual things, master test socket, changed filters, cables etc, even did the BT quiet line test and it was as quiet as a sleeping baby, no crackles, nothing.  Still the problem remained.
I raised a 'ticket' with my ISP (PlusNet) and left the equipment on and connected so they could carry out some tests, however because the router couldnt/wouldnt sync to the exchange the test result was inconclusive as the test showed the equipment up as not on or connected.

So I dug out my old 105 USB modem, hooked it up and Bingo, it syncs to the exchange no probs, looking at the line stats for it Line Attenuation is steady at 31db and SNR is 15-17db
I just need to wait now for the IP profile to rebuild itself back up to a more acceptable figure of 4500kbps instead of the 135kbps it is currently at.
So Im leaving the 105 plugged in and on from now on, until things improve with the line and I may just try the router again.
Been on to PN again and they are going to continue testing monitoring the line over the next couple of days to see how it goes.

I'm kind of thinking the router is up the swanny and will have to be replaced :(

Any thoughts?
Regards
Jack

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: no sync with voyager 2100
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 07:27:45 AM »

It's either going to be a duff router or dodgy connections, and you've probably eliminated the second option by plugging into different places and changing cables. Time to dust off the credit card. :)
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 08:39:56 AM »

Hiyas Jack

Agree with Eric - Sounds like youve done all the usual stuff to try eliminate the problem and the finger is pointing towards the 2100 having past its sell by date :/

Now you know its stable again, you could always try it once more just to check..  but obviously if it is b0rked then it will lower your IPprofile again.  The one good thing is that the rules have changed re the IPprofile 3 day thing and you should hopefully see it increase again without having to wait as long.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Jack Hackett

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 07:28:06 PM »

As of yet the IP profile still hasnt increased.  Currently using USB modem until things get back to normal and will then try the router again just to be sure, Im pretty certain the router is at fault.
Trouble is Im skint and have NO credit card, I'll just have to do without one for a while, although my son wont be best pleased when he pesters us to go on to CBBC site on his PC in his bedroom. (when you have 1 PC with internet access, why is it that the kids always want to go on when your busy using it (that's why we have routers isnt it?!))

I'll have to check out the local free ads and freecycle.

Jack

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 07:53:34 PM »

DSL Depot http://www.dsldepot.co.uk/index.asp? have some very cheap B-grade routers. I'm currently using an ST576 which I got from them, and it's the best-performing router I've owned.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 10:50:42 PM »

Gosh I feel like I'm doing yet another "me too" by backing up what Eric says. :blush:

I'm also currently using one of their ST576's.   That particular router is actually brand new but its a discontinued model.. but it's rock steady and appears to work very well on long lines and IMHO a bargain.

Theres a couple of caveats with it which are outlined in this thread.
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,529.0.html
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 06:57:54 AM »

>>> Gosh I feel like I'm doing yet another "me too" by backing up what Eric says

:-*
  Eric

Jack Hackett

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 12:35:30 AM »

Hi folks,

Here is a brief update.

Took the router to my Dad's, who is also a PlusNet user, synch was rock steady, had it running for an hour or so, so I guess the ADSL part of router is OK and not faulty.

Meanwhile back at home I am having a right game with my connection speeds.  Previous to all this I had a rock steady synch of 4500kbps and speeds of 3500+ (variable for usual reasons).

Back to using Voyager 105
My IP profile has come up from 135 (and less at times) to 2000 now
but my throughputs are all over the place never going above 474 it has been as low as 37!
I am currently using the test socket behind the NTE5's faceplate, new filter, new modem, new cables, disconnected any electrical equipment incase of RF interference.

I am on maxDSL by the way.

PN say they've run tests (BT tests too apparently )and cant find a fault, however they did say at some point that a BT test they did was still reporting the Profile as 135 even tho when I ran BT's Speedtest it was reporting 2000.

Where we live is a new development of houses in a cul-de-sac where there once stood some blocks of 4 storey flats, bearing that in mind, why then, is my neighbour who is also a plusnet customer recommended by us, achieving these speeds?
IP Profile = 6500
Though put = 5426
up/down rates = 448/7616

How come when the BT tester is inconclusive and you then have to login using bt_test_user@plusdsl.net  it cant diaply the next page when you click on 'continue' for further tests?

Here's the stats from the modem
Attenuation
local = 32
Remote = 19

SNR
Local = 29.5
Remote = 13.5

Data rate
local = 288
Remote = 2272

Line Rate
Local = 320
Remote = 2304

I have NO idea what attenuation and SNR db rates are good or bad

I've been doing a little reading .....
Is all this speed/synch problems Im having down to something to do with the equipment at the exchange ie DLM, DSLM, bRAS etc

I am NOT a happy camper!

Jack:(

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 06:50:47 AM »

It looks as though you may have been given wrong information. You're on a fixed 2 meg connection, not Max. You can see that from:

Data rate
  local = 288
  Remote = 2272

With those stats you could expect to achieve similar results to your neighbour if you were to change to Max.

Your very low throughput is something else. You should get speeds up to ~2000 kbps with a 2 meg connection, so if you never get more than 474 then either the exchange is very congested or (maybe) there's some throttling going on somewhere.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 11:22:27 AM »

Data rate
local = 288
Remote = 2272

That would seem to indicate that you are on a fixed 2Mb account..  but how come your IP profile has been bouncing all over the place?  Fixed rate products shouldnt report an IP profile of 135.

As regards to "they did was still reporting the Profile as 135 even tho when I ran BT's Speedtest it was reporting 2000" that could well be due to the fact that the ISPs get a "delta report" a couple of times a day, and sometimes there is a slight "lag" between what BT report, and what the ISP reports.

Theres something a bit weird here... it could be a co-incidence that your syncing at 2272 - but there is also the possibility that for some reason your prev maxed line has been moved to a fixed rate product.  But then again afaik a fixed rate product shouldnt be showing an IP profile on the test.

Does your router report to you if your on FAST mode or INTERLEAVED or NON-INterleaved?
An interleaved line is one that is on maxdsl.
-----

Jack Hackett

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 02:32:45 PM »

Hiya folks, thanks for the input

Does your router report to you if your on FAST mode or INTERLEAVED or NON-INterleaved?
An interleaved line is one that is on maxdsl.

I cant use the router, it wont sync at all!
Had a message from PN via 'My Questions' at 00:30 today saying they were asking BTw to turn on Interleaving, as yet I have not heard anything back from PN.

I am assured by PN that I am on (or should be on) a maxDSL connection.  They too are puzzled as to why it seems I am now on a fixed rate.

I am getting really peed off with all this, seems to me that someones been messing around in the exchange and changed something by accident.

Jack Hackett

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 02:47:33 PM »

BT Test as of 14:35 today

==
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 288 kbps(UP-STREAM) 2272kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 166 kbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.

Please wait whilst you are redirected to undertake a second test.
You now have two choices-

1. If you wish to carry out further tests and you are competent to make changes to your ADSL system configuration, then please click on 'Continue' button.
2. If not, please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results.

====
When I click continue and then log off PN and into bt_test_user the next page of BT test does not display.  Does it actually work?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 03:07:52 PM »

If you go here what does it say for your "stable rate" broadband speed?

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate

---
ps if thats reporting a low figure then I think I may possibly know what it is.
If thats the case if you'd like to pm me your PN username and I'll give someone a prod.
-----

Jack Hackett

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 04:27:28 PM »

Stable rate = 2000kbps

16:00 Received message from Paul Emsell CSC Analyst stating they are raising the speed issue with their suppliers (BTw)
Your fault has been raised to our supplier. Please note that they can take between 48-72 hours to provide a response.

And if they think I'm going to pay £144 for a BT engineer visit to say the line is OK they can go whistle, although at this point I havent authorized a visit.  The line maybe OK (guess that depends on what tests they do) but something is wrong and it isnt with anything my side of things.

edit:
forgot to add... had a message back informing me that 'Interleaving had been rejected'
Generic Modify Transaction order to turn interleaving ON, BT setting of 'Yes', (not a change of product) has been rejected.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 04:40:20 PM by Jack Hackett »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 05:32:46 PM »

>> Stable rate = 2000kbps

Thanks for that -
means it isnt what I thought it perhaps could have been  (what James calls the magic button) and I could have given someone a poke to change it if it had got stuck.

>> if they think I'm going to pay £144 for a BT engineer visit to say the line is OK they can go whistle,

I know steep isnt it... but that is a BT fee charged by BT if they come out and find out the problem is with your wiring or router.  It used to be less than this, but there were many ISPs that were sending BT out without performing checks that should have been done at the ISP level first.  BT got peed off and raised the fee so now all ISPs have to (or should be) warning the customer that if the fault is internal then BT will make this fee.   

The fact that youre plugged into the master socket, and have tried another modem.. and also your modem is ok at your parents shows that youve done all the testing that you can.. therefore you should be ok.

However, the fact that interleaving turning on has been rejected is a bit puzzling...  looks like something really weird is going on on your line.

-----
Pages: [1] 2 3