Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Panorama photos  (Read 9274 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Panorama photos
« on: July 21, 2010, 07:46:02 AM »

I've been having a play with panoramas, after coming across a program (called hugin) which creates them from individual shots. The picture below is my first attempt, made from four separate shots stitched together. I'm really most impressed with what a good job the program does of joining the shots together so seamlessly.

Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Panorama photos
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 08:14:22 AM »

Very nice Eric.  :)

If anyone's interested,you can get 5 copies of Digital SLR magazine for £5.I have had this offer and its very good.Just phone and cancel once you have received your last issue if you no longer wish to subscribe.

http://www.digitalslr.magazine.co.uk/?gclid=CKn4naWI_KICFUUA4wodfBS3iQ&T=1279696321&JTID=156461392&OGID=111&network=GAW

or through here and get a free book on filters as well  :)

http://www.magazine-group.co.uk/magazine/computers-technology/digital-graphics/digital-slr-photography-magazine
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 08:19:59 AM by UncleUB »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 08:16:48 AM »

Very nice result, roseway, and a very nice little program.

Thanks for the linky, unkyUb.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 09:02:13 AM »

Thanks for that information Phil. I've subscribed.
  Eric

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 09:58:39 AM »

I have used Hugin to stitch A4 scanned marine charts together but the version I used tried to correct for camera lens aberrations and caused distortions to the charts. I notice there is a new version out now for Linux (2010.0.0) which is on the free disc with the latest Linux Format mag. which may have been where Roseway saw it. I must give it another go. For my particular application I ended up using a paid for App. (in Windows) called Panorama Factory which is also very flexible but I was able to avoid the distortions.
Tony

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 10:07:16 AM »

Thanks for that information Phil. I've subscribed.

:thumbs:

I have never had any problems with magazine subscriptions,just remember to cancel after you receive your last issue(that's if you want to cancel)  :)

I might just get a subscription myself... ;)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 10:35:25 AM »

I notice there is a new version out now for Linux (2010.0.0) which is on the free disc with the latest Linux Format mag. which may have been where Roseway saw it.

Yes, it was the magazine that drew my attention to it, and the version I've installed is 2010.0.0. I can't comment on the correction for lens aberrations because I didn't need to use that capability, so I just ignored it.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 12:23:04 PM »

Looks like a good program for me now that I use Linux primarily. So far I've been using a Windows program under VirtualBox to do my panos, or dual booting to XP. My distro has an early version in it but I'll compile the latest prior to giving it a go.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

scottiesmum

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 01:58:12 PM »

Thanks for that program hint Eric ....   :)   Unfortunately the magazine offer doesn't apply to foreign  parts  Unc  ....    but hey ho ! ;D

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 02:45:33 PM »

You can download the program from   http://hugin.sourceforge.net    for most operating systems  ;).

I have loaded it from PCLinuxOS depository (synaptic.) on this machine but it will not open !.
In a terminal I get...

[ticmike@localhost ~]$ hugin
hugin: error while loading shared libraries: libwx_gtk2u_gl-2.8.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

I cannot find this file in synaptic.

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 03:40:13 PM »

The package which you need to install is probably called libwxgtk2.8 (at least that's what it's called on my Debian system). PCLinuxOS may have a different name for it of course.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 03:53:11 PM »

Thanks Eric, It works now, libwxgtk2.8 was installed but it needed  libwxgtk2.8-devel   package  ;D

Off to Devon Friday AM  :) so do I need to do anything special when taking the photo's to use with Hugin ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 04:18:34 PM »

I'm really only a novice at this, so I can only suggest that you either use a tripod or you brace yourself for stability, and make sure that there is a good overlap between adjacent shots. We look forward to seeing your results. :)
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 05:22:35 PM »

@ tickmike.........good advice from roseway about the tripod and the overlap... :)

One more wee hint that I would suggest, and that is to take your camera off auto mode, and switch to manual exposure. When you pan the camera to take stage two, three etc. the camera in auto mode may just select a different exposure setting for each segment.....a bit more or a bit less sky in the frame, an extra shadow, some water to reflect more light..anything may be there to suggest to the camera that a different exposure is needed for that frame.
You can then end up up with your several frames looking slightly darker or lighter than it's neighbours.
So, set camera to auto and point at first scene....read it's suggested exposure...switch to manual and set that exposure...and keep that same setting for the rest of the frames. Bingo, overall exposure the same across the pano.

Another idea is to switch to manual focus.........if there is no definitive feature in each frame for the auto-focus to lock onto, it will hunt around for something....generally the horizon.....but if there is a strong subject in one or more of the frames it may well lock on that.
So you can end up with the different frames with slightly different points of focus which can and will do odd things to the depth of field.. so that the dof will/may vary frame by frame.
So, set a suitable aperture to give lots of dof (f22 is great) and on each frame manually focus about one third of the way into the scene.

Last idea........unless your camera is mounted precisely on vertical and horizontal planes, any bold straight feature to the front of the frame and in the overlap zone may become distorted if you pan to that next frame but fail to set with the same precise orientation........and a straight pole on one half of the overlap and the same pole sloping in the other half of the overlap will cause a problem when blending the two.
A little three way spirit level...hotshoe mounted and from Jessops for less than a fiver, will work wonders. ( a spirit level built into a tripod is fine if you know the camera body and the lens are always exactly parallel to the tripod head...not a guarantee if your lens if heavy and prone to tilt the camera front down a bit )

The secret about a good pano, apart from the composition is .......consistency between frames.

Enjoy your trip to lovely Devon....look forward to some stunning panos.  :)

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 07:17:46 PM »

Brilliant panoramic view  8)

More please  ;)
Mike
Pages: [1] 2