Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Need a new router  (Read 11292 times)

SinBin

Need a new router
« on: May 26, 2010, 01:24:08 PM »

I've had two Netgear DG834G routers in the last month and both have been fried by two power-cuts !! They were on a surge protector but that didn't help. Can someone recommend a decent router ?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Need a new router
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 01:44:08 PM »

If there was a power surge which fried those routers, then it's probable that most other routers would suffer the same fate. If you're just looking for a recommendation for a new router, then one of the many Broadcom-based routers would probably serve you best, unless you have a very long line, in which case the BT 2700HGV would be a good one to consider. Among the Broadcom-based routers are:

Netgear DG834Gv4 (if you can find it, current model is v5 which isn't Broadcom)
Netgear DG834GT
D-Link DSL-2740B

or if you're interested in a higher spec with Gigabit LAN ports: Billion 7800N.
  Eric

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 03:03:57 PM »

DGN2000.

Works well for me.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

SinBin

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 05:06:25 PM »

Thanks very much roseway and Azzaka I will have a look at those models.

I have (had) the Netgear V5 is this not as good as the other version then ?

These power-cuts are a worry. The first one affected the whole area where the mains went on and off twice for a split second. The second one just affected our house but I'm not sure why it happened.

I'm glad I had a spare router to fall back on........which as it happens is a Billion 7402NX.

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 05:16:39 PM »

They were on a surge protector but that didn't help.

Does your surge protector come with a guarantee where if it fails to protect your equipment you can make a claim (assuming of course that it was an electrical surge via the mains that wiped out your router rather than something propagated via the telephone cable)?

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 05:56:13 PM »

FWIW I have a Netgear DG834GT and have just today survived a strange power cut. It only lasted for a fraction of a second, long enough to upset a digital clock, and, for the very first time it upset the router. I had to reboot the router to enable the ports etc. As one could say the lights were on but nobody was at home. A reboot sorted it though. Certainly not the death knell.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

SinBin

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »

Hi orainsear, yes it does come with a guarantee it's one of those Belkin ones  :). Worth a try. Apparently my ISP are having trouble getting their money back from Netgear for the last router I sent back to them (my ISP) as they tested it and said it looks like a surge blew it !

Hi silversurfer44 looks like you may have been lucky ? I did try a reboot but alas to no avail :(. It's not good for the PC either all this is it ?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 11:30:41 PM by SinBin »

SinBin

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 11:41:01 PM »

Just spent 'a while' checking out the routers recommended on here. It's so difficult to find anything which doesn't have a bad review by someone or another ! The Netgear routers do get a fair amount of negative reviews - all the models quoted here anyway  :(. The D-link also  :(. The Billion gets the best reviews but is the most expensive, almost twice the price. The one I have now is a Billion and was expensive and was scoffed at by my ISP who told me to get the Netgear.

I don't know. I've seen good reviews for the Buffalo Air-Station but can't find the model available now anywhere - Amazon can deliver within 1-2 months !

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-AirStation-HighPower-Internet-Connections/dp/B002LFVUTM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274808413&sr=8-3

May go for the Billion.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 07:20:37 AM »

Netgear is a very popular brand, and it's inevitable that a proportion of its users will have something bad to say. What I can say about the models mentioned above is that we come across a very large number of satisfied users here. Actually it's probably not unfair to say that most Broadcom-based routers have much the same ADSL performance, so the differences are in user features and to some extent the wireless capability.

Concerning user features, the Netgears have probably the most user-friendly configuration interface, and also have the possibility to use the custom DGTeam firmware which offers many more features.

As to wireless, two of the models mentioned, Billion 7800N and DGN2000, are wireless-N capable which possibly gives them a rather better range.

For what it's worth, I'm currently using a Billion 7800N, and for me it's as good as any router I've ever used for speed, stability and all-round competence, but that doesn't necessarily mean that everyone will have the same good experience.
  Eric

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 10:08:37 AM »

If you think a faulty power line supply caused the problem contact the power company as you may be able to get compensation.

But don't hold breath.

Ofgem, the industry regulator, sets Customer Guaranteed Standards. If we fail to meet these Standards, you are entitled to receive a payment. Depending upon the circumstances, we may pay you directly or arrange for your supplier to pay you.

EDF - standards of service

« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 10:15:23 AM by BritBrat »

Zoe

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 01:07:26 PM »

Hi  :)

I'm using the Netgear modem/router : DGND3300  8)

Got mine from here : http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=7575

We had a spate of mini power cuts a few months back.
Think it's survived about 6 or 7 now  ::)
I don't use a surge protector though.
I just plug my router straight into the wall.

Zoe
Talk Talk - Faster Fibre: 38/10
Estimated Download Speed 39Mbps to 40Mbps.
Minimum Guaranteed Speed 35Mbps
Actual Sync Speed 31Mbps Down & 8Mbps Up
Modem/Router: Netgear D6400

SinBin

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 04:43:18 PM »

Hello roseway. Yes, it's true to say that a proportion of users will have a negative view and the more reviews the more comments. In some way all these reviews can be a hindrance too and actually put me off buying. With Netgear being so popular the negative comments are more - I mean if you look at Amazon (USA and UK) there are hundreds.

I did notice the wireless range wasn't so good now you mention it. I only had to go in to the next room and noticed a drop-off with the Netgear whereas the Billion was still bang-on. Both are fairly easy to set-up  - the Billion worked straightaway again as soon as I swapped it over with the Netgear. Of course the Billion receives negative reviews - 'A brick with leds' said one  ;D.

Thanks BritBrat - I wont hold my breath  :).

Hi Zoe. Yes, I got my Billion router from there - they're very good and deliver very quickly. I have bought a few cables from there too. 6 or 7 power cuts - that's quite a lot  :o. That router looks good - 8 antennas !!

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 07:52:44 PM »

I did not want to get your hopes up but it is worth a try.

I know I would try it in your case, it all depends if they have a record of a surge/spike that could have broken the device.

This applies to any electrical device.

SinBin

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 11:51:31 AM »

Hi BritBrat. Yes it's always worth a try.....don't know if I've got the enthusiasm to be honest. Mind you if a surge manages to 'fry' my Billion router then that's a different story as it's much more expensive  :o.

I've decided to go for the Billion 7800 Router as suggested by roseway. I'll have 2 Billion routers then (OK, it's an obvious joke  :-[). I know my ISP scoff at the price but my current Billion (7402) has been excellent and rock-steady. Maybe that's the price you have to pay. There's lots about it here;

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1167564.html

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 12:41:28 PM »

Good luck with the new router. By the way, I've upgraded mine to the 1.04b firmware from the Australian site. It appears to be for model 7800NS but works fine with 7800N.
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2

anything