Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BetterPrivacy Firefox addon and LSOs  (Read 2345 times)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
BetterPrivacy Firefox addon and LSOs
« on: October 20, 2009, 02:08:45 PM »

I'm interested in what other forumites think about this addon. I saw it mentioned on another forum and wondered if it does indeed perform a useful function or is it an over reaction to the "cookie threat"? Certainly I get rid of a lot of cookies each time FF closes but i wouldn't like to lose log on details to sites.
Tony

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: BetterPrivacy Firefox addon and LSOs
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 02:32:50 PM »

Have not seen that but how do you cope with sites which use cookies to save you having to logon each time you visit them? If I deleted all cookies each time I'd forever be logging onto forums I visit many times a day.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 03:09:13 PM »

I installed it just to check out its capabilities, and it caused FF 3.5.3 to crash immediately on launch, making the browser unusable. I had to delete the addon manually to get my browser back. >:(
  Eric

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 07:17:24 PM »

Broadstairs
Firefox allows you to exclude named cookies when you close and clear out all the other cookies.
Roseway
The section of the forum I saw it on pertains to all things Linux but I have downloaded and installed the Windows version. However I will not use its facilities until I find more positive feedback. It didn't crash FF so far!
Tony

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 01:18:51 AM »

I dunno maybe Im a bit blase about cookies.
There are many reasons why you need cookies.   I use cookies on this site. Without them, certain things just wouldnt work. 
For eg the adslchecker is a prime example of needing a cookie - this uses a session cookie which is destroyed immediately you close your browser.  Theres no personal information stored anywhere and in this case improves security for the user as certain details are retained across the browser session rather than me storing or collecting them on the server.  Close the window and the session gets destroyed.

I also use session cookies for the ad banner.. all that does is do a count of 1,2,3,4 and rotates the banner so you get a new one at each page.  Again there is no way any personal identifying info can be collected. - close the window and its destroyed.

Theres also  the cookies for forums that retain login info as encrypted username and passy.

Yes there are some sites that may use tracking cookies for ads - again I dont really have a big problem with these as they also dont gather any personal info..  just what ads have been displayed across various sites..  or maybe such things as discount offers etc.

The ones that do get the bad names.. are those cookies that are used in conjunction with malware to say serve sex-ads or "software" etc.   My thoughts on these are you need to have had some sort of malware or spyware installed on your PC in the first place anyhow to work with the cookies.  Its far more important to protect against the spy/malware itself as thats what is most likely to do the most damage.

Just my 2p
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker