Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New DSL technology set to double broadband speeds  (Read 7718 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
New DSL technology set to double broadband speeds
« on: April 01, 2009, 12:00:09 AM »

A revolutionary new technology has been announced which uses a previously overlooked method of using both wires in the copper twisted pair in order to double existing broadband speeds.

This new technology is an extension of the existing G.DMT standard, the form of modulation used on existing ADSL lines. Discrete Multi-Tone (DMT) modulation works by converting the digital data into a series of separate frequencies, or tones, that can be carried over telephone wire. More information on how DMT works can be found here.

The new discovery, known as Advanced Frequency DMT (AF.DMT), relies on enhanced crosstalk-cancellation technology to allow the use of both wires in the twisted pair for the simultaneous transmission of data. This makes an existing phone line effectively capable of behaving like two separate lines.

"It's really quite simple," says Avril Jolly, a spokesperson for BT Research and Development. "Every telephone line consists of two wires, twisted together to form what is known as the 'pair'."

"The potential that this discovery brings to BT's 21CN rollout is very exciting, to say the least. I can't believe that something so simple has been overlooked for so long, and the fact that both wires in the copper pair could be used with the AF.DMT standard, to effectively double broadband speeds."

Trials of the new technology are expected to commence around the Milton Keynes and London Docklands areas later this month. Existing Fujitsu DSLAMs require a firmware upgrade to support AF.DMT connections. Ms Jolly also states that a nationwide firmware upgrade rollout implementation could be completed in as little as six months, although conclusive trials have yet to be completed. She also added that a number of incompatible DSLAMs in remote areas of the UK would require that the line cards be replaced with compatible dual-frequency cards which conform to the new standard.

A new type of ADSL modem is also required to make full use of the Advanced Frequency technology. BT have been working closely with Netgear to develop a prototype router, based on the popular DG834 series. This router, the DG834AF, utilises dual core technology, combining two Broadcom BCM6348 ADSL controllers on a modified system board design in order to support the AF.DMT standard. Simply put, the DG834AF is two modems in one box!

Kitz.co.uk has managed to obtain an exclusive photograph of the inside of this router, showing the two Broadcom chips side by side.

New Dual-Core prototype router:
Netgear DG834AF
We look forward to BT rolling out this new technology sooner rather than later. Because the infrastructure is already in place, all that is required is for the end user to purchase a new router, once the DSLAM modifications have taken place in the exchange.

It is to be hoped that this does not adversely affect BT's FTTC deployment schedule, as it is no substitute for VDSL2 over a short line. Whether AF technology can be combined with VDSL2 is unclear, but would certainly give BT a competitive edge over the Cable providers.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: New DSL technology set to double broadband speeds
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 12:26:58 AM »

Wow... so simple!! Can't believe nobody has thought of doing this before! Wonder how long it'll take BT to actually get around to it though.

So this means my 10Mb line could actually run at 20Mb? That'd be awesome :)

ps I want one of those dual core routers anyway!
Chris

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 09:34:45 AM »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 09:49:29 AM »

That only accounts for 2 wires in the cable - just imagine if they did a little rejigging and could use all 4 - 4 times the speed .......... should I rush out and patent it? :angel:

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 10:39:29 AM »

HI

"Kitz.co.uk has managed to obtain an exclusive photograph of the inside of this router, showing the two Broadcom chips side by side."

Well done .Shows that your forum is a well respected site  :clap2:

Regards Jeff :)

Edit   01/04/09  ?? ;D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 01:26:34 PM by jeffbb »
zen user

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 04:11:21 PM »

Such a simple idea really.

Look at how long it took them to make the Dual core processor though... :-\
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 04:12:54 PM »

I suspect that Kitz has been playing with her soldering iron....... :)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 04:18:13 PM »

I suspect that Kitz has been playing with her soldering iron....... :)

;D
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 11:24:06 PM »

@ Kitz,

Very well done !

I realise this is much too early to have much evidence but I'd be very interested to know how well this solution will perform on long and noisy lines.
I'd also like to know if DMT and Routerstats will work with this new router, or when suitable versions might become available.

Kind regards,
Walter

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 11:35:37 PM »

Ok I think it's time to come clean ;D

Both kitz and myself spent a good few hours writing the article yesterday, ready for publication this morning i.e. 1st April!!

Kitz did intend to post something this afternoon but due to unforseen circumstances she wasn't able to be at her PC, so she's asked me to say something on her behalf, given it's a little late in the day now, but at least it's still the 1st (just).

Hope everyone got a bit of a laugh out of it, and it hopefully goes without saying that no offence was intended if anyone was taken in. Actually in fact I hope at least some people were taken in - it wouldn't have been much of an April Fool's gag otherwise!!

So Happy April 1st, folks :)
Chris

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 06:57:23 AM »

They tried it out on me the day before, and I was taken in too :lol:
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 07:26:49 AM »

They tried it out on me the day before, and I was taken in too :lol:

So was I,so when I realised I removed my post.  :-[  :lol:

I will never get that jesters hat removed now  :lol:

Shame on you Kitz and Mr Chris.  :lol:

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 09:27:14 AM »

I hope you realise that deep in the bowels  of BT Corporate Research & Development Technology Lab. there is some poor soul ( :graduate:) running around like a thing possessed trying to test this theory  :-\

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 09:32:13 AM »

What is particularly clever, and had me thinking for at least a few seconds, is that you can transmit ADSL down a single wire. At least over a limited distance and rather slowly.

I know, I've done it!  :P

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 10:02:59 AM »

I've just been on the phone to BT Indian support for the last 4 hours asking them to send me one of these new routers. 

They said something about deleting temporary internet files,changing the filter...........................  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Pages: [1] 2