Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tuesday 27th Chat  (Read 4872 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Tuesday 27th Chat
« on: January 27, 2009, 10:40:23 AM »

Good Morning All,  :)

Lovely sunny morning here,but very cold.

I am hoping Sue will take me into the countryside later so I can at long last try the new camera out.

I hope everyone is well and raring to go.

Have a good day whatever you're doing.  :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 06:38:53 AM by UncleUB »

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
Re: Tuesday 27th Chat
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 11:36:52 AM »

Morning Uncy and all who follow,

Lovely day here too darn sarff....looks almost inviting to go out but I have things to do...alas and alack  :(

Hope you get some good results from the camera Uncy, hope we get to see the results too (hint hint  ;))

Was pleased to see Kate has returned to the fold... must have been a terrible experience going through the storm though but pleased she and Mr Scottie and wee scottie are safe.

Have a good day everyone, whatever pleasures you seek.

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 11:45:09 AM »

@ unkyUb

>>> I am hoping Sue will take me into the countryside later so I can at long last try the new camera out. <<<

Improve Your Photography with TD's Tip of the Day.....................

Tip #1 maximise sharpness.

Hyperfocal Focusing.

Hyperfocal focusing is a technique used by landscape photographers in order to maximise depth-of –field.

In order to fully grasp the principles of HF, it is necessary to understand fully how depth-of-field works.

Depth-of-field (DOF) is the amount of front to back sharpness in an image.
You may want a wide ( broad, deep) DOF in your landscapes where you want the image to be pin sharp from the tips of your toe-caps to the horizon, or you may want a narrow (shallow) DOF when capturing a flower, animal, portrait and where you wish the subject to stand sharp and proud against a blurred out foreground and background.

DoF can be adjusted in three ways :-
1)   changing the aperture setting on the lens
2)   changing lenses
3)   changing the camera to subject distance.                               

Aperture.
The size of the aperture in the iris of the lens is expressed by f-numbers in a scale ranging from f2, f2.8, f4 etc etc up to f22, f32
The larger numbers indicate a smaller aperture and these give more DOF whilst the smaller numbers indicate a larger aperture and afford less DOF.

Lenses
A wide angle lens will give more DOF than a telephoto, so that a 28mm at f22 will afford more DOF than a 200mm at the same f-number of f22.

Camera to subject distance.
The further you are from your subject the greater the DOF, the closer you are the narrower the DOF at any given f-number.

So by using one or a combination of the above variants, you can control DOF to a fine degree and can have at your disposal an infinite number of DOF configurations.
Among these variances, however, there is one constant………….one factor that remains in force however much you tweak DOF and that is that, always, one third of the available DOF lies in front of your point of focus and two-thirds of the available DOF lie behind your point of focus

That is the important bit, one third DOF in front, two thirds behind your point of focus.

[/font]

Now, when you are taking a landscape shot, where are you focusing ? Most inexperienced snappers will focus on the horizon………..big mistake.
If your point of focus is on the horizon, you have focused at infinity…there is nothing beyond the horizon…………….nothing to take the benefit of that two thirds of your lovely DOF which lies beyond your point of focus. That part of the DOF is therefore lost and you are left with only the one third that lies in front of your point of focus.
You then end up with a nice sharp horizon but that sharpness very quickly tails off as the scene gets closer until you finish up with a blurry foreground.

What to do ?
The technique is to focus at a point one third of the way into your scene, be it a tree, stone, house or just a point on the ground.

That point one third into the scene is the Hyperfocal Point and by finding it and focusing on it, you are using hyperfocal focusing. And by doing that you have "room" to have your one third DOF in front of that point and two thirds behind......maximun depth of field.

On a fixed focal length lens, it is simple to determine that hyperfocal point by using the inscribed distance scale in conjunction with the aperture scale. These scales do not appear on zoom lenses in any meaningful manner due to the complexity of the infinite amounts of focal lengths you can achieve on a zoom……..there is simply no room to inscribe all the scales for all the focal lengths so……….to find the hyperfocal point with a zoom, it is a question of looking through it at your scene, choosing a hyperfocal point, focus on that and hold that focus then recompose the scene.
Fiddly, but the end results are worth it.

scottiesmum

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 12:01:16 PM »

Allo Allo    !!   ALL  .....    Well you wouldn't believe that a couple of days ago we were being blown away  ....   :sun: :sun: :sun: :sun:   :lol: (can't resist  TD ! )    it's a glorious day and warm with it  ... the birds are singing, feeding and splashing in and out of the water feature and bird bath;  Scotty is  a happy chappy; the garden is springing into flower  ... more camellias out, more  bulbs up,  the Mahonia Japonica which has given us flowers throughout December is still in full bloom AND the clematis Montana has LOTS of buds  ....  so all is not lost  ;D

I've been out and about and there is evidence all around of the weekend turmoil,  chain saws whirring and trailers being filled with lots of wood to dry out for  another time.  I have also seen a bargain Monitor  (I think it's a bargain) so I will ask advice on that in the correct place  :angel:

TD I've copied all your advice for Unc  ...  I think I will find that useful too  !    I just wish your clues in the 'where the heck am I' spot were as clear   :lol:

Enjoy your trip out Unc.

Take care all .... 

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 03:36:02 PM »

I'm back,been to Beauchief Abbey and The rare breeds centre.Bitter cold so wasn't out too long.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 03:44:41 PM by UncleUB »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 04:20:50 PM »

Oooo oooh, UnkyUb, I do hope that you are pleased with your camera, the results are top notch.

Performance.

Colour repro..................excellent
contrast repro.............. excellant
sharpness....................excellent
detail rendition..............excellent

chromatic aberrations.............nil
noise.....................................nil
artifacts.................................nil
vignetting...............................nil

Very nice photos indeed taken in not so good light, the abbey shots and the hairy beasties are spot on.  The colour rendition is so good, no cast at all, great.

Lovely results in difficult conditions, and good composition too.........well done, and well done the Sony......you made a
good buy.

What do you feel about it ?

(ps do I see a blue clad Mrs. UnkyUb creeping into one pic ? )
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 04:45:23 PM by tuftedduck »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 05:22:54 PM »

Thanks TD,I do hope you are not being too nice about the shots.I don't mind being criticised   :'(   :D

I only used the 'auto' setting but used the longer lens for the 'wee beastie' shots.

It was very grey when we got there and very cold.I was suprised how heavy the bag was with all the gear in it.Sue helped me a bit to change lenses Its quite difficult when you have a walking stick and can't move about very fast.
By the time we arrived at the rare breeds centre I was in quite a bit of pain but kept going.By this time there was rain in the air and it was bitterly cold.
I love the feel of the camera even though it is quite heavy,you really feel as though you have a good investment and plenty of value for your money.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 05:35:10 PM »

No barrel or pincushion distortion with either lens either.............that long lens is very good indeed for a long zoom ( for any zoom), just look at all that detail among the hairs and the straw. And on the wide lens........the detail in the brick and stone work of the buildings, even the far distant ones, and in the trees on the horizon.

Lovely lenses........ TD goes all envious  :D

(TD was getting worried about a nasty looking wee splodge above the Abbey................it's a spot of dust on me monitor  :-[ )
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 05:37:50 PM by tuftedduck »

scottiesmum

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 05:43:18 PM »

Oooooooooooooooo    LOVELY picture Unc ....  well done    ... that Beef looks good enough to eat    ;D   You're going to have a lot of fun with your new apparatus ! :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 06:37:46 PM »

Its always interesting yet sad reading the old gravestones.So many infants and children and many adults that died young. :(
That little abbey is over 800 years old.You use to be able to read the gravestones on the floor inside,but they are now covered with matting.
Believe or not the Abbey is only about 15 minutes drive from Meadowhall shopping centre and the M1.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 09:47:40 AM by UncleUB »

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 10:03:56 PM »

@Unc - I think your dog needs a hair cut!    :lol:

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 08:39:17 AM »

@Unc - I think your dog needs a hair cut!    :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 08:53:49 AM »

@Unc - I think your dog needs a hair cut!

Actually he does!! And the day of reckoning is approaching fast  :D

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 09:26:53 AM »

@ unkyUb

You mentioned above your slight difficulty when changing lenses whilst using a walking stick etc.
I have a similar problem with my old gnarled hands.

I did away with my packback when out for walks or when I knew that I was not going to need a lot of gear, and now use one of these :-
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=10177

It fits round your waist on a belt. I keep the belt buckle at the back and have the bag against my tummy.............not only easy access, but with it hanging there like a bum-bag, with care it can be used as a table to hold lens caps and things whilst doing the change. And it is light to carry and no strain on the shoulders or back.

Might be worth a consideration  :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 09:43:48 AM »

That looks good TD,trouble is I bought a new bag a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.picstop.co.uk/Shoulder-Camera-Bag/Tamrac-5533-ADVENTURE-3-Messenger-Camera-Bag

I found the Lowepro slingshot 200 a bit too big and also when taking all the camping gear it takes up much needed space.

This is just big enough for my needs,I can have it on my shoulder or across my shoulder.I can then swing it round to access stuff .

Just a question.can you buy replacement neck straps for my camera,I would prefer to unclip the neck strap after use,but its not easy to clip on or off the camera.Other than that a couple of those quick release things you keep your keys on.
Pages: [1] 2