Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Flashing the sky router DG934G  (Read 30827 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Flashing the sky router DG934G
« on: August 21, 2008, 01:41:45 PM »

Posted here because I've had a couple of PMs/emails about this and its best being in the open so that others may either add their 2p.. or that the information may help others in future.

Please could anybody help, I am trying to flash sky router DG934 to change firmware to  use on different ISP, after clicking on upgrade wizard 2nd or third screen where it is supposed to show Mac address it only displays under model- DG834, version D477 ,the next to lines are upgrade & server these are blank almost double exposure / 2 screens showing, I have then clicked next it shows blank square with upgrade screen behind clicking next has  no action. I have tried this on my Netgear router DG834v2 & results are the same, my router seems to work fine I have upgraded it to V3 firmware, I seem to have a small problem somewhere, could it be anti virus software/firewall problems.
As I am not connected to sky broadband can you only flash to Netgear firmware from a sky broadband line. Any help would be most welcome,

Full instructions to flash the sky DG934.

If at this stage its not returning the MAC address, then your PC isnt "communicating" properly with the router... and the upgrade process hasnt actually started at this point.

Possible causes could be a firewall blocking access.
Use a wired connection NOT wireless to the router
Also check that your PC is on the same IP range as the router (192.168.0.X) you could try hard-coding an IP in the range on your PC via network connections.
Also make sure that you are upgrading with the correct version of firmware for the various sky routers.

>> can you only flash to Netgear firmware from a sky broadband line.

It can be done without access to the sky network.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

armie

• Just arrived
Re: Flashing the sky router DG934G
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 01:52:29 AM »

I did exactly as it said in the tutorial the router says it has been flashed but i cannot connect to the internet i keep getting the amber internet light on the router
But if i revert to the sky firmware the light goes can someone tell what is going on as i would like to use the router with another provider as i have left sky

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 01:23:30 PM »

Once the new firmware has been installed have you put all the correct settings in for new ISP and things like the correct protocols etc

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/router.htm
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

mikegc

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 10:14:41 AM »

Sorry to dig up an old topic, but I am trying to flash my old sky router, but I cannot find my install CD, I think I threw it away.  Is there a way I can get the sky firmware so I can trick it and flash with the netgear firmware instead?
Thanks!

----

UPDATE:
Found the sky firmware for download elsewhere, so never mind :)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 02:11:33 PM by mikegc »

cabal5935

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 11:31:08 AM »

I have a working method to re-flash these routers to Netgear WITHOUT using the gay utility that I couldn't get to work.

You will need the latest Netgear DG834Gv3 firmware AND the Sky CD with the firmware flashing utility on. I have only tried this the way I'm showing, you may be able to do this with the newer sky firmware i don't know.

Leave the router in it's normal mode. User a browser to login to the Admin section (defaults are User = admin & Password = sky). Once there, go to the Router Upgrade page and ask it to flash to the firmware from the Sky CD. Once done, let it reboot and log back into the router. You should see the firmware versions is V1.xxxxxx, this is good. Now copy this link (whilst still logged in) and paste it into the address bar of your browser "http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug", it should activate Debug mode. Debug mode seems to lift the model check on the firmware flashing option, so now all you need to do is go to Router Upgrade and ask it to use the latest DG834Gv3 firmware file. If it accepts, it will come up with the progress bar. Once done it'll reboot and you should login with the same details as before. Now you see a Netgear firmware page with all the Sky details, just go through and change all the options to what you need them to be.

ALL DONE. Seems to work much better than the flashing utility.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 11:52:19 AM »

Thanks for that update & information. :)

I cant test this as I dont have another sky router and the ones I have done have been using the method outlined on the main site.
It would be interesting if anyone else has success using this method.   Obviously the normal caveats apply.
-----

Rainclick

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 06:55:43 AM »

Please could anybody help, I'm trying to flash a sky router. I was not sure about the model but, refer to the pic's it's absolutely like DG934G.
in the first step problem is, referring to "Full instructions to flash the sky DG934" I can not put the router into its flash recovery mode. I do press and hold the reset switch (more than 60 seconds) whilst turning the router on but nothing happen and after 60 sec. when I release the reset switch the light just beside the "power light" start to blinking. I'm not sure if this is my router flash recovery mode or not?
upon on this thought then, I continue the instructions but after clicking on upgrade wizard 2nd or third screen where it is supposed to show Mac address it shows nothing! .. I m also sure firewall is off, I Using a wired connection NOT wireless to the router and PC is on the same IP range as the router (192.168.0.X).
your Help would be most welcome,

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 08:51:37 AM »

Are you sure that you have a Netgear?  Sky also have Sagem model that looks very similar to the Netgear.  The label on the bottom of the router should clarify which you have.

Rainclick

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 10:44:15 AM »

Are you sure that you have a Netgear?  Sky also have Sagem model that looks very similar to the Netgear.  The label on the bottom of the router should clarify which you have.
Yes! .. you are right .. it's not Netgear .. it is SAGEM .. What should I do now ? is there any chance ?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Flashing the sky router - SAGEM
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 11:11:18 AM »

AFAIK there is no sure way to flash one of the sagem routers and you may end up bricking it.
Its not something Ive actually tried myself.

Depending on what you wish to do, you may have some luck with standard 2404 firmware...  but heed the authors warning that he had bricked one other  router first.. and also the comments after successfully flashing the router. "The upshot of this is that I now have a Sky branded Ethernet switch, rather than a Sky branded router. Quite a disappointment after the amount of work I'd put into this"

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/blogs/james67/cracking-sagem-f-st-2504-router-45/

-----

naresh

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 08:48:48 PM »

Like cabal5935, I could not get the "gay" utility to work.  First, there is no firmware image on my Sky CD and second, the upgrade utility gave me the same results as the original (or early) post in this thread.

So I thought I would try cabal5935's method, but, of course, again, there is no firmware image on the CD (and there is no flashing utility either).  I tried ignoring this and put the router straight into debug mode, but it would not accept the Netgear image file.

Can anyone suggest where I might find a Sky firmware image so I might get to first base with cabal5935's method?

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 08:48:56 AM »

>>>Can anyone suggest where I might find a Sky firmware image

Hello and welcome.

There's a link in this thread on the Sky forum to some firmware (2nd last post).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 08:51:15 AM by orainsear »

Gazdok

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 11:19:34 PM »

If I flash a Netgear DG934G with 834 firmware or other non sky firmware, will this firmware allow me to use the 934 with WDS (point to point) mode?

anything