Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: G.Fast Pods  (Read 39550 times)

PhilipD

• Reg Member
Re: G.Fast Pods
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2018, 10:02:08 AM »

Hi

They all have their inner gubbins.
They need to wait for 10Gbit handover links to be installed at the exchange before activating them.
That's why entire exchanges of G.Fast pods are sitting idle for months then suddenly they all get activated.

Well that's good to know, so if a pod appears it is likely to be activated at some point as it's a considerable expense sat there being unused otherwise.

Not that I will see one anytime soon where I am and may be too far from PCP to benefit from faster speeds on G.Fast anyway.

Regards

Phil

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2018, 07:39:12 PM »

Still no news of anyone being connected?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2018, 07:56:23 PM »

In what sense, Alex ?? There are people connected to G.fast ....... maybe not on this forum, but there are people connected. 

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2018, 08:55:40 PM »

Look like G.Fast won't happen for many months due to trial pilots still ongoing.

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2018, 11:35:17 PM »

It is available in places, like the cab I'm connected to. (see my previous posts in this thread)

If I weren't in contract with Zen I'd have gone with BT on their ultrafast package.

Zen did say to me that they are running internal G.fast trials with staff only. Once they are happy it will be made available. I said to keep me in mind.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 11:37:34 PM by V_R »
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2018, 10:08:18 AM »

It's in commercial rollout. Pilot areas and others are being worked on.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2018, 11:38:58 AM »

Then why isn't plusnet and other ISPs don't offer any G. Fast product?

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2018, 12:02:09 PM »

They will in time I'm sure.

The only one I can order from if I wanted to is BT. But as I said, when I spoke to Zen to move my service to my new address they said they are doing internal trials of G.fast with employees and it will be coming to consumers in time.
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2018, 12:58:32 PM »

Very strange as I did emailed via openreach a few weeks ago of when will g.fast release to all isp's as a commercial rollout and they reply below:

Hi,

No not yet the full roll out has not been confirmed yet for this financial year.

The program start was April.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2018, 01:37:19 PM »

The lines between commercial and pilot are blurred but there are a bunch of areas not named in pilots with pods. It's gone much the same way as FTTC did.

The correct answer from Openreach should have been that it's none of your business, good of them to comment.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2018, 02:06:02 PM »

Very strange as I did emailed via openreach a few weeks ago of when will g.fast release to all isp's as a commercial rollout and they reply below:

OpenReach cannot answer this.
It's entirely up to the ISP if/when they choose to sell G.Fast. They are all able to sell it now, but many have choose not to yet.
Plusnet could sell it tomorrow if they wanted.

Back when FTTC was rolled out the likes of Talktalk didn't offer it for many months.

The trial is technically still ongoing. Pods in some trial areas aren't even live yet.
The commercial rollout has begun though, with lots of exchanges not in the trial having had G.Fast pods installed. Some of these are already live, before some trial areas.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2018, 01:18:24 AM »

In what sense, Alex ?? There are people connected to G.fast ....... maybe not on this forum, but there are people connected.

It was just with all the discussions on here talking about pods being fitted but not live, I was wondering if ANYONE had been connected.  Guess now I know.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2018, 10:43:55 AM »

They all have their inner gubbins.
They need to wait for 10Gbit handover links to be installed at the exchange before activating them.
That's why entire exchanges of G.Fast pods are sitting idle for months then suddenly they all get activated.

This.

My understanding is that OR install the pods and they are ready for service as far as they are concerned.

The delay is that BT Wholesale won't mark them active for service until they install sufficient additional backhaul and before allowing CP's to order services on behalf of end users.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2018, 09:21:35 PM »

I am not bothered about g.fast anymore. Because it will be expensive to pay monthly charges. I have signed up new renewal contract with PN 18 months of fixed price on FTTC 80/20 £8.01 for next 18 months plus line only £18.99. I only pay £26 a month until June 5th then afterwards will be £27 a month. Plus referral scheme discount of £12.50 off to reduced the bill from £27 to just £14.50 per month. Happy with the new deal and happy to stay with FTTC 80/20 for next 18 months. In two years time FTTPoD could be lots cheaper or g.fast lots cheaper.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Sniper

« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2018, 08:30:42 PM »

Hi, not quite sure when the pod was installed (maybe middle of last year) but they are being activated for sure, plus they installed another cabinet as the area seems quite popular I guess (Heywood, Manchester).

I ordered on 14th march and was up and running on the 19th so quite speedy setup, no issues so far other than being stuck with the BT Ultrafast Hub.

I was the only g.fast connection on the cabinet at the time not sure if thats changed. Installer said I was under 150m from the cabinet. I get the full speed when downloading files but speed tests tend to be under 300 Mbps.

Have attached my adsl check result and heres links to speed tests.

- https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1524511201635444555
- http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/31268149
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10