Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: I need a certain type of isp - Recommendations Please  (Read 27679 times)

insidejob

Re: I need a certain type of isp - Recommendations Please
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2017, 10:45:45 PM »

So glad I didn't sign up to Sky Fibre for 18 months and Vodafone thankfully.

I wonder if EE is any better than BT, considering BT own them. EE are offering some money to pay for you to get out of your contract, if you sign up with them. It's 50 quid. https://broadband.ee.co.uk
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 10:56:50 PM by insidejob »

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2017, 11:02:43 PM »

I wonder if EE is any better than BT, considering BT own them. EE are offering some money to pay for you to get out of your contract, if you sign up with them. It's 50 quid. https://broadband.ee.co.uk

A colleague of mine was with them and was generally happy with the service. I believe they freely give out login credentials so no problems there. They also don't do any traffic management, but annoyingly, block port 25 (to all non-EE SMTP servers) and the NetBIOS protocol.
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2017, 11:06:04 PM »

Was just checking Sky Broadband forums for the first time they seem very strict on the use of a third party modem and you won't get any help even on the Sky forums it seems third party modems is a taboo subject  :o

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Fibre/Lose-connection-with-TP-Link-VR2600/m-p/2635893#M45672
always been no support but you can still use 3rd party

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #108 on: April 04, 2017, 12:57:37 AM »

And EE supplied modem/router BrightBox2 is very stable and it's GUI has plenty of stuff to tinker with and a working Wan socket to bridge it to a third party modem

NewtronStar

• Kitizen

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #110 on: April 04, 2017, 01:33:39 AM »

some isps block it to prevent their networks been used as source of spam, you should be able to access email services using port 587 if 25 is blocked.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #111 on: April 04, 2017, 07:05:45 AM »

Insidejob - I quite agree about it being wrong to lock you into using some crappy kit that doesn't fit your requirements. However for people who don't care, perhaps a lower-cost support deal would be an option. User-choice kit could mean more support calls if users use bad modems especially, if you leave out bad modems then you could perhaps say 'we won't give guidance on routers that we know nothing about'. Basically I am all for splitting support off as a separate cost, because some people need more support than others. That way those of us who are more savvy could save some money. Also those of us who are awkward would need to pay more if we want our choices to be covered. It's all about being explicit in what is and isn't covered by which types of support.

I doubt that ofcom would be of much help, they don't seem to be about protecting the consumer, but more about Thatcherite obsession with competition on price (but nothing else).

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2017, 01:48:42 PM »

The other things is and this has been suggested to me by plusnet in past but obvious. If you call support for speed issue or other fault, some isp's will ask you to try another router to rule out that the router is the cause of your issues. Now you can't do that if the isp won't give you connection password and username.
Essentially if they lock you down to the supplied router, the router becomes part of the service.  So if they wanted you to try another router, they'd have to send one out.

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #113 on: April 04, 2017, 02:07:35 PM »

Sky only do this if your existing router is in warranty.  When I left I had an intermittent issue which was almost certainly down to the router.  They wouldn't go beyond offering me a replacement at a reduced price.  The router limitation is one of the reasons I won't reconsider Sky.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

insidejob

« Reply #114 on: April 12, 2017, 07:11:42 PM »

Thanks for the input from other members and the members who understood what my issue with Plusnet is. I have started a move to another isp but it's not the main ones I would of gone for. It will do as I want to get off plusnet.

There are other reasons for this and it were mostly cost reasons. I will get cash back and got a good deal, which will cover my leaving costs from plusnet and the activation charge.

I am hoping I wont have the same issues but will use this as a steeping stone, to one of the other isp's posted about on here. Need a bit more money first. lol

I decide not to go with EE in the end, as I found out on the EE forums that the IP's allocated to EE customers, are very sticky. Probably worse than plusnet. I may consider them though maybe in future, I will see.

I won't say which one for now and see what happens. :)

I must admit, I dont like this new system and seems to take ages. 14 days a bit too long to wait.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #115 on: April 12, 2017, 08:10:28 PM »

Who did you choose to go with in the end? I watched this podcast the other day and thought of this thread then!

insidejob

« Reply #116 on: May 01, 2017, 01:04:29 AM »

Who did I choose to go with? Well dont get mad but they own EE ;)

I did this for costs reasons and stand to get about £225 back which pays for the connection fees and plusnet leaving fees, which BTW I were over charged but they have, are sorting that out by giving me refund of some of it. Plusnet are keeping my account open for about 30days after leaving at least until my last bill is paid DD and my refund back to my account.

On first connecting, my speeds were good and at around 49mbps. It's now at 45mbps :(. I have had some major issues until about 20 min ago, trying to get my own router setup and Working for some days, trying on and off.

I took off the supplied router and set my own up, just as I did with plusnet. Problem is user name and password. I were told so many ways and believe that this may of had something to do with it. It's not the same way as plusnet and were a pain. It should of worked just like it did on plusnet but would just not work. I tried again this evening and although It showed me allocated an IP, it would just not load any webpages. I keep getting the BT wholesale holding page or page can not be displayed. I dont know if it were to do with the DHCP lease as I had to change it to max. I never had to touch these settings in my router on plusnet.

I were just about to get my old plusnet router out and try that, as I were at my wits end but then it started working on booting into my other drive OS. Its almost like someone switched a switch to on, so it would work. I have heard some other people having issues  this though.

I will be looking to move after contract to pulse 8 hopefully but that depends on what happens in a year, as other things may change.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 01:22:05 AM by insidejob »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2017, 01:12:33 AM »

Who did I choose to go with? Well dont get mad but they own EE ;)

Ah, yes. I understand. That little company which owns both EE and Plusnet.  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

insidejob

« Reply #118 on: May 01, 2017, 01:18:13 AM »

That's right burakkucat you guessed it.  ;D

Delta4orce

• Just arrived
« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2017, 11:37:07 PM »

If you don't want anyone to know where you are geographically, you have more to worry about from services bundled in with your operating system or with web browsers that report location based on Wireless LAN MAC addresses. Your iPhone or google / Facebook apps are pretty keen on identifying your location by a whole range of methods and this has nothing to do with a choice of ISP.

Fromt that link to the plusnet forum you're wasting your time with that explantion Weaver as he refuses to accept that mobiles and browsers have anything to do with geolocation tracking.

Well it's been far better on this forum than over on plusnet with more technical members who understand what my issue is. Now I am just after feedback from members who use other isp's and can let me know if they have there location showing close to home.

To be fair to the guys on the plusnet forum they seem to have a good understanding of the problem you were facing and how it worked. Its you who appears not to understand how you're being tracked by external parties.

Anyway at least you've moved away to another ISP..
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

anything