Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Erratic line behaviour after remote resync  (Read 36624 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Erratic line behaviour after remote resync
« on: October 28, 2016, 11:17:02 AM »

Anyone got any ideas what could be causing this?  Normally the line is stable.

Background.
  • The line went down at 04.45 19th Oct and was off for about 15 mins. 
    When the line came back up it displayed spikiness in SNRm and increased errors.
  • Having seen on several makes of routers that sometimes after a cab caused resync can cause erratic spikes I powered down my router, but this trick didn't clear it.
  • At 04.35 on the 23rd Oct, the line went down again.  Unsure how long it was down for as I had no logging.
    When it came back up again the line was fine and all the nasty spikiness gone.
  • Then yesterday morning at 04.55 the line went down and the horrible spikyness is back again.  Just done a reboot of my router but its not cleared.

I experienced something similar in July after what appeared to be work on the cab.  It cleared itself after a day, but in the meantime the increased spikiness caused DLM to intervene and apply Interleaving which took a couple of weeks to get rid of.

Thoughts at first were something at the cab, but Im now also wondering about the possibility of a neighbouring line perhaps getting the 'after downtime spikiness' and causing some sort of RFI REIN to my line.   Possible?  Thoughts? Suggestions?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Erratic line behaviour after remote resync
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 09:54:38 PM »

Looking in and say it's an issue withe DSLAM was 4 hours downtime enough  :-\ I have had to turn off the modem for 10 hours to get rid of oscillating SNRM in the past

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 01:05:41 PM »

Dont think it was a full 4hrs downtime.   I had no stat logging during that period.  Whatever happened caused my router to come back up, but at times duplicate instances of HG612modemstats can cause the Zyxel to refuse telnet.

The first time it was down for about 15 mins.

Just noticed that the line is throwing lots of errors right now, so may try yet another reboot in a bit.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 03:59:25 AM »

Mine is a mess also, snr seems to be gradually moving downwards with attinable going down 200kbit sync/day.

My engineer confirmed the day I had the crosstalk introduced someone had a pair swap as their line rate had dipped extremely low, he says there is another 6 pairs that are going to be swapped as they got very low speeds and one of them may affect me.  The cabinet is still full with a waiting list.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 05:27:49 AM »

Not that it helps but I have lost 12mb on my ds sync over the last 3 months. Last resync cost me near on 4mb. Cross talker effects could be seen clearly on the snrm charts.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 10:00:53 PM »

The erratic spiking is still ongoing.   Admittedly Ive not raised a ticket because unsure if Openreach would do anything and TBH Im not sure if I have the will or time to battle with PN CS right now.

However tonight has been terrible trying to access the net and everything was really sluggish.  I happened to look at my errored seconds.
Ooops DLM is really going to hammer me tonight.

Interestedly I noticed next door had Openreach out about 2 weeks ago.  Unfort I had an appt so dont know what happened, but since her line was fixed, mine went downhill slightly more :(

---
ETA
Looking at my stats the errors started bang on 3pm and were averaging 18/20k CRCs per min.   
Hard to check my Er/Secs as Ive rebooted to try get a bit more SNRm,  but my total is about 20k :(  Dont think DLM is not going to spot that.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 10:18:42 PM by kitz »
-----

DMZ

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 12:28:12 AM »

Hello everyone,

This probably has no correlation to kitz's post but...

I noticed earlier this evening around 10PM-ish, that my upstream SNR is low at 4-4.1 db but my downstream is fine at around 6.5-6.7 db

That's a bit of a drop, both downstream and upstream are usually identical. I don't know when it plummeted for me and hasn't budged since. I usually check my stats once a day. It was fine yesterday.

I checked the landline for any noise and it was fine. I only have a HG633 supplied router from TalkTalk but it's been fine SNR wise up until now.

The low upstream SNR hasn't budged since. My max upload data rate says 18Mbps despite the fact I'm synced at 20 Mbps according to the stats- I'm confused.  :-\

It doesn't seem sluggish to me at all (Luck?), I wouldn't have noticed if I didn't check my router stats and so far no re-syncs.  :fingers:

My fibre cabinet is full too. (ECI)

Thought I'd add my experience into the mix.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 02:26:19 AM »

>> It doesn't seem sluggish to me at all (Luck?),

This was what was causing my sluggishness - A large amount of errors that started at exactly 3pm.
Browsing was excruitonatingly slow and pages would take a long time to load.  It was extremely noticeable and like being on dial up, you couldn't not notice it.    I had in excess of 20k Errored Seconds, so I am fully expecting the DLM to do what it does some point before tomorrow lunch time.   

This originally started after an over-night outage where I had no sync for about 15mins.   Prior to that the SNRm would practically be a nice straight line with a very occasional shift in SNRm of a fraction of 1dB.
Now it can spike anything between 3db.  Its behaviour is very pulse like.  I attach a graph below which whilst only showing small fluctuations in the downstream, you can see the pulse effect quite clearly on the upstream.  Sometimes its way more jagged than this, but I chose this snapshot because it was during a period whilst the line was more stable but you can see how regular the oscillations are.
This isn't really what I'd class as typical REIN behaviour, there's no sharp drops at certain times.  It's not SHINE, it could possibly be PEIN.   I guess I need to go buy a radio.   There's nothing that switched on here at 3pm.  In fact the only thing that would have been on at that time would have been the PC.   Neighbour is away a lot,  all I know is that she only has adsl2 and couldnt get sync for several days.   My own line was more stable during the period she didnt have sync but it could just be co-incidence that mine started acting up again after hers was fixed.   Occasionally it will clear when I reboot, mostly it won't.

The thing is it seems stable now, but DLM will still kick in regardless, just like it did last time.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 02:30:03 AM by kitz »
-----

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 08:36:36 AM »

I feel for you Kitz, if you read my post, my line has also recently been effected and after 10 days it recovered.

There seems to be a trend of ECI uses suffering from similar problems.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 09:40:30 AM »

yes - look at the last couple of days on my eci line.. Fuzzy snr with wild swings in both ways it seems..

very poor attainable.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 09:49:42 AM by skyeci »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 10:34:37 AM »

@skyeci - Yes your line behaviour with the SNR does seem similar to mine.  Notice that you are also getting the spikyness and quite high error rate.  Your atten is 14.3 so slightly longer line that mine, but not fantastic sync speeds for the length.  :/

@Josh  - remind me of your username on MDWS please :)
-----

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 10:42:59 AM »

@skyeci - Yes your line behaviour with the SNR does seem similar to mine.  Notice that you are also getting the spikyness and quite high error rate.  Your atten is 14.3 so slightly longer line that mine, but not fantastic sync speeds for the length.  :/

Openreach have been and investigated the eci cab again, at the moment they can't seem to sort it out. They changed a card and added a card and it made no difference. Several port swaps but still no good. In fact if anything its worse that it was before, don't seem able to figure out why the attainable is so poor and why the snr is dipping low as 4.8. My line has always suffered with high es. I am now in contact with someone directly at openreach who is trying to find out what is going on (has been for a couple of weeks). Back in june the sync was up to 77mb when the cab was repaired (as I was told), this has gradually gone down ever since. Even though I am under the sky advised minimum (just) they have washed their hands of it and closed all issues I raised..

I wonder if g.inp was re-enabled it would help.... I have asked if he could get it re-enabled just to prove it if helps my line as it did before it was switched off. Seemed like a no.. :( :(

I am waiting for further news but its not looking good right now

Wife and I thinking of moving next year to another local town which is all Huawei kit thankfully, very tempted I can tell you.. :-\

up and down like a yo-yo this morning
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 11:10:46 AM by skyeci »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 11:47:15 AM »

>> I wonder if g.inp was re-enabled it would help

Possibly, although I doubt it would help with the amount of errors that I got yesterday.   I notice that you too are constantly hovering close to the limits.
I know that since this has started, Im at amber most days -  its one of the reasons why I am loathe to swap to an ISP that uses Standard rather than speed.   As expected, DLM took action this morning and applied INP3 so Im now syncing at 70Mb,  but my upstream is still spiking.
-----

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 11:50:49 AM »

Have been amber across all the profiles on the ds since march lol..

Sky released me but dont see the point of moving as its the same cab/copper etc... apart from being on speed instead of standard plus I do really need my fixed ip...

« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 11:52:53 AM by skyeci »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 02:43:25 PM »

how do you know it isnt just bad crosstalk ? This is to skyeci.

I am running on a 4.6db snrm, my attainable is down, it went up again last week, down again now, but I havent raised a fault as it is in all likelyhood some new crosstalk that I have to deal with.

I am trying to hold out until march on this sync and hoping g.inp is incoming around that time. Then a 3db profile will at least recover what I had 6 weeks ago.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13