Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Moving line to new cabinet?  (Read 1969 times)

thesmileyone

Moving line to new cabinet?
« on: October 16, 2016, 11:18:48 AM »

So we got "told" by a neighbour that due to the new housing estate being built about 30 meters from our house, that BT are putting in a green cabinet just for the housing estate. Currently our cabinet is 2 miles away. 2 miles vs 30 meters.

So here I am wondering how exactly I would go around asking/paying for our line to be connected to new cabinet if this happens? Currently we are connected via overhead lines. Is this even possible?

Because if I can get transferred to this new cabinet, then I only have to pay for 30 meters of swanky FTTP(oD) connection right?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Moving line to new cabinet?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 11:53:43 AM »

If it's even possible, and if they have a means of even ordering such a thing, then FTTPoD or FTTP might be the key?

In fact, what if you were to just forget about moving, and just try ordering a second line but ask about the route, with the assistance of a good ISP ( :) ) who could fight with BT, you could get the job done, and then cease the old line.

Of course, if you could get FTTP, who cares about length.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 12:32:57 PM »

I don't think it's possible to ask or even pay for your copper line to be re-routed to a nearer cabinet. A "second line" would normally be formed out of existing spare pairs in the current cables, they probably wouldn't even need to put in any new cables, so I'm not sure that would help.

I'm not sure it would be necessary to re-route your copper line to affect the FTTPoD pricing, I think that would be done to the nearest node anyway.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 12:51:41 PM »

When they put in my second line, a second pair within the drop cable was used, just as ejs said. When I got my third line, that meant a second drop cable.

FTTP is of course a way out of this

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 01:13:45 PM »

Because if I can get transferred to this new cabinet, then I only have to pay for 30 meters of swanky FTTP(oD) connection right?

Not necessarily- it's the distance between your property and the nearest fibre aggregation node - which isn't the same thing as the green cabinet.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 05:10:50 PM »

It's not possible to ask for or to pay for what you want. You just need to hope that they plan on doing some network rearrangements at the same time. If the new housing estate is large enough to fill the new cabinet then there's not much chance of additional lines being rerouted to it. If the new estate is pretty small, leaving lots of capacity, then they may choose to connect other local lines to it.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

thesmileyone

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 06:19:33 PM »

Any way of findiing out where the nearest "fibre aggregation node" is?

anything