Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ISP Zen Internet “Happy” to Offer Automatic Compensation for Faults  (Read 1174 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

ISP Zen Internet “Happy” to Offer Automatic Compensation for Faults

Many broadband ISPs are concerned about the plan to give UK residential and small business consumers an automatic right to compensation when their service fails, but not all. The Regulatory Manager of Zen Internet, Gary Hough, has said that they’re “broadly supportive” of the proposals.

The change, which was first proposed earlier this year as part of Ofcom’s Strategic Review and is now being added into law via the forthcoming Digital Economy Bill 2016-17, has received somewhat of a bumpy reception from ISPs.

At issue is the question of what faults should be deemed to attract compensation (Ofcom vaguely references “a loss or reduction in service“), whether the responsible core network suppliers (e.g. Openreach) should shoulder some of the burden and the potential for all subscribers to be hit with higher prices in order to compensate for the new “compensation” system.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: ISP Zen Internet “Happy” to Offer Automatic Compensation for Faults
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 05:33:29 PM »

Sounds horrible. I don't want compensation, I want both high availability, and bounded and honest fix-times. This is just going to push my costs up, and push them up three times more than everyone else because it will be per-line. This ought to be something that wholesale carriers offer to ISPs. It should be up to end-users whether or not they want some kind of compensation deal with their ISPs. OfCom seem to be just meddling in a wrong-headed way. Perhaps they're making work for themselves to justify their continued existence.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: ISP Zen Internet “Happy” to Offer Automatic Compensation for Faults
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 08:06:34 PM »

Read the wording "happy to offer automatic compensation to customers when the fault is ours".

Looks good on paper, but in reality most all of the faults Ive had are related to the physical line, rather than ISP.

Zen is probably in a better position to offer this service.   1). They are less likely to have numpty customers.  2) Better troubleshooting before passing it on to Openreach.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker