Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Pop up issue?  (Read 8088 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Pop up issue?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2016, 10:57:37 AM »

@chrys  (or anyone else)

Any ideas what could be going on here?

I suspect its picking up some type of settings from somewhere.  My guess would perhaps be on the local machine google ad prefs that may possibly have been introduced by either an installed app, or another site.. or I dont know.   Ive been reading around and some of the ad hijackers deliberately may wait a for 'x' period of time to start generating the ads to throw you off the scent.

If its ad hijacking then I would have thought clearing cache/cookies should clear it as that resets ad prefs.   
Adblocking is probably just masking the issue and what ever its doing will still be going on in the background, just not displayed.
Whatever it is, it seems selective and showing on android devices where unlike on a PC its going to be harder to track down what is happening.

Otherwise google has a more serious issue.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2016, 11:25:19 AM »

Is it possible that there is something bad happening in the browser itself, confined to the local machine? Some adware installed? An alternative browser (can't remember if you've already done that) might not be a good test if the different browsers share common code or common settings.

Or if not the local machine, what about an attack on the DNS or on the router? Could try hard coding the DNS server settings to go directly to an alternative server e.g. 8.8.8.8 or the OpenDNS ones? A netstat would be interesting, to see what the open TCP connections are.

It's a long shot, I know.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2016, 02:53:49 PM »

>> Is it possible that there is something bad happening in the browser itself, confined to the local machine?

I'm laying bets on its something to do with the ad prefs which are stored as a cookie for each individual browser.  Clearing cache and cookies should reset this, which is why J0hn's fixed when he cleared his cache.

What I dont know is how or why it shows those tesco ads (which arent really tesco ads).   Ads served by google generally are supposed to be relevant to page content.  The page content is quickly analysed and advertisers bid to display.  All this happens rapidly.    The reason I see VoIP or BT served ads is because they are relevant to content.

There is one other important setting  (personal local machine settings) which I always have switched OFF and thats the "Interest based settings".   If its on, then it will pick up items that you may have previously searched for, or looked at.   
This is why if youve been looking at new kitchen units, rather than display ads based on my site content, then you will be served an ad from someone like B&Q or whatever.   That's nothing to do with me, its based purely on where you've been or what you've looked at some time in the past on some other site, and that's where the cookie is originally set.

Then when you visit some other site sometime later who serves google ads, then that will over-ride the site content based ads.

I dont understand the full workings - I dont think google discloses it, but what Im guessing is that somewhere along the lines something has been set for personal prefs.   I tried my damndest last night to recreate it on both phones (one with Voda, the other EE, both galaxys) I switched off prefs and I even went to Tesco's hoping it would pick something up... but it didnt.   This is why I strongly suspect that the cookie had originally been set from another site or a downloaded app.

Because its a cookie, then safe mode wont over-ride it.  MBAM is designed to look for virus and exploits.   This is just a damn annoying spam thing so unlikely to pick it up either.  :(

Any other thoughts on where/how it could have been picked up appreciated.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2016, 03:07:45 PM »

A little bit more info kindly provided by Skyeci.

All the ads that were displayed to him were for android based apps (ie bounce mobi, fruit killer, android pay)   Not a single ad based on site content that I would expect. This certainly suggest something was over-riding content based ads which should normally display from here.

The good news is that all is now good and its gone, but he is keeping his eye on it.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2016, 04:48:53 AM »

Sadly i am not convinced its malware, I made that assumption based on the fact I know you try to avoid abusive ad's but ultimately when relying on a third party, you are at their mercy in terms of them been secure and behaving themselves.  Now John has confirmed the same issue and you also confirmed how your ad's rotate it does seem an advertising issue.

I run an adblocker on my phone plus dont even use the browser for this website which is why I probably have not been affected as tapatalk has its own ad system.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2016, 07:53:53 AM »

Even though I have cleared everything down,de-installed ad blocker so returned to the original config and disabled all the google ad settings for signed out and signed in preferences there is no popup but I am still seeing one rouge header in the banner. I keep seeing this one for voip..it leads to

Its on every 5th banner and now showing the ad choices button in the corner that leads to google ad choices....

https://www.port5060.net/?gclid=CNqKieWNyM8CFUMq0wodrfsJFw
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 08:17:03 AM by skyeci »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2016, 11:32:51 AM »

The VoIP one is genuine and shows things are working correctly.  (Telecoms/voip)   The Adchoices button also helps show its legit - it should take you to a link whereby you can set any personal ad preferences on the local machine.

tapatalk has its own ad system.

They also will use a 3rd party supplier, with native marketing its just more merged into the content.

Sadly i am not convinced its malware, I made that assumption based on the fact I know you try to avoid abusive ad's but ultimately when relying on a third party, you are at their mercy in terms of them been secure and behaving themselves.  Now John has confirmed the same issue and you also confirmed how your ad's rotate it does seem an advertising issue.

No its not malware, I said that in my post above.  I'd been looking into the types of ads that were served and think it may be something stored in a cookie that was over-riding what I would normally serve.
The fact that clearing cache sorted it would indicate that it was cookie based.

I am very strict in what I show.   I opted out of personalised ads [1]  and have all sensitive categories blocked [2]. Ads are kept to an absolute minimum.   Far less advertising than other sites and most sites don't even bother doing [1] and [2].   Both of these settings mean less revenue.

Google serves ads depending on the following

Types of websites you visit, and mobile apps you have on your device
    Cookies on your browser and the settings in your Google Account
    Websites and apps you’ve visited that belong to businesses that advertise with Google
    Your activity on another device
    Previous interactions with Google’s ads or advertising services
    Your Google Account activity and information

What is strange in skyeci case is that all ads were for android apps and android pay.     That is not content based advertising and suggests its picked something up from a previous activity.  I also tried putting a block on the the bad url in my custom blocks, but it still continued to serve.
Why would it clear when cache was cleared.

As you know sites like this rely on ads and donations.  Its tough - and I do mean really tough -trying to cover costs.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 09:10:22 PM by kitz »
-----

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2016, 06:39:05 PM »

Spotify ads 'launched virus pop-ups'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37573815
Pages: 1 [2]

anything