Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Booked an engineer to relocate master socket - questions  (Read 2675 times)

N0STIE

• Reg Member
Booked an engineer to relocate master socket - questions
« on: September 27, 2016, 08:23:20 AM »

Morning all,

I've recently booked an OR engineer (hopefuly) to relocate the master socket which is currently downstairs by front door. I want it to be moved upstairs to my room at the back of house. I clearly stated I do not want any extensions. If I wanted, I'd buy 10m high quality cable and do it myself. They said the charge will be £130 without any extensions and +£75 for each extension.

The distance from current location of master socket to my PC upstairs is roughly 10-12m. Tested using ethernet cable.

I'd not use 10m adsl cable instead as my sync is already weak and I do not want to risk unstability, lower sync, interleaving etc. so booked an engineer.

I heard that an engineer might refuse to move it and offer extension instead?

Also heard that if it takes more than 1 hour there will be additional charge?

The engineer is booked on next tuesday 4th October.

I am on Infinity 1 with sync of 45000/7500 and SnR of 6dB for both DS and US.

Should I switch the kettle on and buy some chocolate biscuits? :)

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 08:26:08 AM by N0STIE »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Booked an engineer to relocate master socket - questions
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 10:32:58 AM »

Does your line come in overhead or underground, if overhead it may be better to relocate where the drop wire comes into the house. Locating the master socket in a loft but within easy reach from loft hatch allows a lot of flexibility. Engineers will not nor go in a loft so it must be easily reached from the loft ladder.

At those prices I'd be doing it myself, or as my brother did bung an engineer drink when he visited.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 10:40:43 AM »

I had the same issue. I sorted it myself by leaving my modem at the master in the hallway and installed 2 lines of  cat5e (external) and took it back out the front wall and round the side of my house and then back in to the place where my router and switch lives etc. A fraction of the cost and even my wife was impressed with the wall mounted cat5e surface mount box's I fitted  ;D

I think I bought 100m of external cat5e for for less than £40 from memory. Since then I have installed further sockets around the house as wifi is not good long distance due to internal house interference it seems.. 4 or 5 rooms now hard wired.

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 01:00:26 PM »

Does your line come in overhead or underground, if overhead it may be better to relocate where the drop wire comes into the house. Locating the master socket in a loft but within easy reach from loft hatch allows a lot of flexibility. Engineers will not nor go in a loft so it must be easily reached from the loft ladder.

At those prices I'd be doing it myself, or as my brother did bung an engineer drink when he visited.

My master socket is just under the windowsill in my living room (next to front doors). Not sure what you mean by overhead or underground. As far as I know the cable that goes to pole is on the front wall of the house (by front doors) which is drilled through the front wall under the window so cable goes through to master socket.

So basically the room I want the master socket to be moved to is on the other side of house (back garden side) but the room is opposite of front doors.

See attachment -> I'm sorry for my paint skills :D

I hope I made it clear now.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 01:13:22 PM by N0STIE »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 01:31:12 PM »

Yours is overhead fed from a pole. There are no poles in my street, the cables are all underground.

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 01:46:27 PM »

Does it mean that it will be easy for enginner to relocate it? And where will the black cable that is fed from pole go?

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 02:20:42 PM »

I would imagine he might extend it perhaps from the old master externally to where you want the new one. The reason I didn't move mine was because the general thought was it would decrease my sync rate due to extending the length of my main telephone cable.

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 02:26:50 PM »

I would imagine he might extend it perhaps from the old master externally to where you want the new one. The reason I didn't move mine was because the general thought was it would decrease my sync rate due to extending the length of my main telephone cable.

Externally means outside a house? Will it decrease my sync at some point?

Can't he just remove the old master socket and fit it into a wall upstairs? Or leave the old one and fit a new one upstairs?

I clearly said I do not want any extension when I spoke to BT, because it would cost me additional £75.00
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 02:34:55 PM by N0STIE »

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 03:08:57 PM »

I understand you don't want an extension but is the total length of the cable run going to be longer than the current cable or not? - if the new location is at a further distance than your current master then I doubt he is going to run a new cable from the pole - maybe he would?  mine are underground so no pole experience I'm afraid- I think it comes down what is deemed the easiest option on the day. If he decides to not put a new cable from the pole then the only option is to join a new bit of cable to the old cable effectively extending your current cable and fitting a new master socket on the end of it. The old master would be disconnected so it won't be an "extension" just making the overall length of your cable longer...

I was told that by adding more telephone  cable to move my master socket round the side of the house could indeed decrease the sync rate (no one can tell you by how much) as I was looking at about 20 meters so that's why I left it where it was and opted to sort out cat5e network cable myself from the master socket/modem to my router's wan port at the other end of the house as this would not decrease the sync rate at all. You have to take into account other factors such as the quality of your line - I suppose no one will really know until its done.

I am sure someone here has paid bt to move a master socket and can comment further.

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 03:31:52 PM »

Well, the black cable which is outside on the front wall is few metres long counting the distance that is on the screenshot I provided (red line) if thats the right cable and should be long enough. But well, does it mean that cable from pole will run inside my house under carpets or by baseboards as the master socket won't be located near a front or back wall so the cable can't be run without me seeing it in house. So the wall can't be drilled and cable won't run directly from outside to master socket as it is now. I can't see any black cable inside my house because my actual master socket is near front wall that is drilled and cable goes directly through.

And the distance from current master socket location to exact location in my room would be approx 10m assuming the cable runs by baseboards as my ethernet cable.

I want the master socket to be located at the wall that separates rooms.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 03:34:41 PM by N0STIE »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 10:01:02 AM »

I paid BT to do a ‘change point of entry’ just as you wish. BT did it exactly how I wanted it. The cable used to come into the front door of the house and had an NTE5 in the kitchen. I had it shortened and run directly from the pole to the window of my upstairs office which is on the nearest corner of the house. I later added another two pairs, and when they came to install the third line they ran a second drop cable from the pole. The cables run in a radial line straight from the pole to the side of the window and have no run round the outside of the house or inside the house, as the three NTE5As are right at to the entry point. (This was me trying to avoid exposure to any noise sources inside the house, as the signal is so ridiculously weak -67 dB downstream attenuation.)

It cost me about £120 for the original one line, and I was delighted that I had done it. Nice neat job, no hassles and certainly can't hurt signal hygiene at all.

anything