Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: comments from Openreach ref G.INP on ECI (with permission)  (Read 6327 times)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
comments from Openreach ref G.INP on ECI (with permission)
« on: July 22, 2016, 07:10:59 PM »

Following my complaint directly with Openreach due to the cabinet issue which is now repaired I asked the CEO complaint manager I have been dealing with over the last couple of weeks  if he would be able to investigate what the latest was on the G.INP/ECI status as I had provided some graphs showing before, during & after what my line had been like as I really wanted it back if possible so wondered if they would be able to sort it (a bit of wishful thinking I know..)

Anyway I finally got a response today from the CEO complaint manager and asked for permission to share his comments, which was given, just thought it might be of interest to ECI users..

"Apologies for the delay in answering you G.INP query as I have been trying to track down the relevant Technical Team that could help assist with your query.

It appears that despite extensive testing before deployment we have had a number of issues with ECI Re-Transmission (G.INP) and have had to remove G.INP from most lines where ECI is the equipment vendor.

Our Technical teams, working with ECI, have identified the issue and are working towards resolution but it may be some time before it is re-introduced into the network as we need to satisfy ourselves that it improves the overall customer experience for all our customers.

Openreach publishes regular updates to our Service Providers and the latest bulletin in June advised that we are unlikely to have a solution deployed in this calendar year."

Was hoping it was going to be sooner but at least he was good enough to look into it for me and come back with some info. I for one didn't know it was not on the cards for this year..

WWWombat

• Kitizen
Re: comments from Openreach ref G.INP on ECI (with permission)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 07:24:00 PM »

That isn't a surprise to me. A complete loss of trust in the rollout process has probably lead to a rethink in multiple ways.

I wrote this a couple of weeks back:
I always doubted that G.INP would be back by July - the mere choice of implementing rollback after a month meant there was no trust in what was deployed. To regain trust will have meant not only finding and fixing the issue(s), whether they exist within ECI or DLM (or both), but performing a large amount of regression testing.

Looking now, BT will not allow a rollout to even start without allowing room for a complete (new) rollout and a complete new rollback (in case) to happen well clear of any Christmas freeze. If we don't see signs of it by the beginning of September, I doubt we'll see anything until February.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 07:30:22 PM »

not surprised here either, openreach (and the CPs I expect) will want a long period of time without futher issues before attempting it again, also this is better news than that they could have abandoned the idea altogether.

I still think the best way to roll this kind of stuff out is to get technical fluent users to test it first and deliberately on a variety of different modems.  But this seems in conflict with the idea that CPs want to keep all this stuff hidden from users in what is a dumbed down product and prevent us from having direct communication with openreach.

The next best thing after that is to give CPs a on/off button for g.inp so if issues do crop up the problematic lines can simply be disabled instead of doing a nationwide rollback due to the lack of flexibility in the system.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 11:45:30 PM »

The next best thing after that is to give CPs a on/off button for g.inp so if issues do crop up the problematic lines can simply be disabled instead of doing a nationwide rollback due to the lack of flexibility in the system.

The end-user has two buttons on/off DS and US on the Billion 8800NL to turn off G.INP

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 06:10:51 AM »

Isn't that actually for Broadcom PhyR, which is not the same as G.INP? I thought the Broadcom command line program (xdslctl / xdslcmd) has separate settings for PhyR and G.INP.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 02:14:46 PM »

It's the same thing. PhyR is simply Broadcoms own name for G.INP as they invented the technology years ago.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 02:30:09 PM »

PhyR and G.INP and the same kind of thing, both re-transmission schemes, but G.INP is not PhyR. G.INP is an amalgamation of two different vendor's retransmission schemes, one of theme presumably being Broadcom PhyR, so that they can interoperate with each other, with the equipment at either end not even having to know exactly how the other end's retransmission is implemented, so long as they follow the G.INP technical recommendation.

xdslctl has two separate switches, xdslctl configure --phyReXmt <0xBitMap-UsDs> and --Ginp <0xBitMap-UsDs>.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 03:20:18 PM »

I've never seen a modem with both g.inp and phyr on/off switches, it's 1 or the other. phyr is simply broadcoms proprietary name, which other vendors will call g.inp. they may well be "an amalgamation of 2 different vendors schemes of retransmission" but are they not both defined as G.998.4? both Broadcom vdsl2 chipset modems I have show phyr settings in the gui, and both none Broadcom modems I have show g.inp settings in the gui.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 03:24:40 PM »

As far as I'm aware PhyR was a proprietary implementation of re-transmission which was not defined by G998.4.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 03:37:35 PM »

No, G.998.4 does not need to define either scheme, it was designed to combine the two schemes so they can work together. Perhaps have a read of the Ikanos G.998.4 whitepaper.

Then I think the non-Broadcom ones are missing the G.INP settings in the GUI.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 03:58:24 PM »

As far as I'm aware PhyR was a proprietary implementation of re-transmission
pretty much what I said
which was not defined by G998.4.
well I'm corrected on that, fair enough

splitting hairs really. still say it's the same thing. Broadcom use their own implementation. enabling PhyR on a Broadcom modem on a line connected to a Huawei cabinet enables G.INP.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 04:58:20 PM »

It should be possible to verify that PhyR and G.INP are not the same thing, since you can switch one off and one on with the xdslctl program.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: comments from Openreach ref G.INP on ECI (with permission) **updated**
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 12:31:34 PM »

Just passing this on as I thought it might give some clarity on G.INP on ECI - This is from openreach with permisson - I asked my contact for a summary of the bulletin recently released and this was the response I had today.

It confirms that Openreach and ECI have now identified the cause of the problems of G.INP on the ECI platform and a set of fixes are currently in development.

The fixes include the need for updated firmware for certain Modem Chipsets which impact both the Openreach Modem and the modem component of certain CP wires only Routers as well as software update for the ECI equipment.

This software will be tested by Openreach during Q3 (Oct-Dec) with deployment likely to commence, in consultation with the Service Provider community around April 2017.

I hope this helps.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 02:17:46 PM »

Thanks skyeci for this info.   Started a new topic for the update so that it is easily viewable in the announcement section as I know people have been asking across various different threads if there is an update yet.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 02:29:26 PM »

Thanks for the update skyeci!
Pages: [1] 2