Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: LGAs of sub-standard broadband provision  (Read 2262 times)

sheepfarmer

LGAs of sub-standard broadband provision
« on: May 11, 2016, 02:00:56 PM »

Where I live there is quite a significant "digital divide" in terms of broadband provision and (to a slightly lesser extent) mobile phone coverage. My LGA is the Fermanagh & Omagh District Council (FODC) and from my own anecdotal experience and some evidence from other sources, I'm trying to think if there are any LGA in the UK where the broadband provision is poorer than ours?

Just as an introduction, the FODC is just barely a year old (new council areas were put in place in Northern Ireland only in April last year) and has a largely rural population with just two principal towns - Omagh and Enniskillen which make up 31% of the roughly 107,000 population resident in the council area. Outside of these two places, everyone else (69%) lives in a "rural" settlement which by NISRA standards is a settlement of 4500 people or less - many people live in significantly smaller clusters of less than 1000.

Taken from Ofcom's "Connected Communities" report from December 2015, of the 11 LGAs in Northern Ireland, FODC has the highest percentage of premises that can't obtain certain download speed targets. 37% of premises in the area don't have a line capable of meeting the 10Mb/s USO proposal, over a quarter can't meet 5Mb/s while 18-19% can't even meet 2Mb/s. Other predominantly rural LGAs in NI including Mid-Ulster and Newry, Mourne & Down have similar struggles but not as predominant.

Another source would be from ThinkBroadband - though they deal with constituencies rather than LGAs in Northern Ireland at least. The FODC area is served by the constituencies of West Tyrone and Fermanagh & South Tyrone. West Tyrone includes the County Tyrone part of Derry and Strabane Council where Strabane is the only non-rural settlement, while Fermanagh & South Tyrone is similar in including a part of south County Tyrone covered by the Mid-Ulster council (not to be confused with the parliamentary constituency of the same name) with Dungannon being the only non-rural settlement. For West Tyrone, the results look pretty dismal - while 60% can get speeds of 24Mb/s or higher, the majority of the rest aren't capable of getting near that speed with one in five getting 2Mb/s download speeds or less. Fermanagh & South Tyrone is no better, 57.6% are able to get >24Mb/s speeds, 18.7% can't get anything better than a 2Mb/s service and 31% are below 10Mb/s.

I put this down to the following...

* The population is more dispersed in the FODC area compared to say many parts of Britain where residences are more tightly settled together, and is instead more similar to how the population is dispersed over the border into the Irish Republic. My own village has a population of ~1400 and it's one of the bigger ones! There are also plenty of people & families that live in one-off housing or small clusters (3-6 or less) of, usually extended families, that live in the open countryside.
* A lack of 21CN provision outside of the two urban towns in the district
* Longer line lengths in general - the Ofcom report says that the average amount of telephone poles used to reach a subscriber in NI is four times that in Britain!
* FTTC technologies not really being suitable to subscribers who have long line lengths from the cabinet.
*  Lack of LLU access in general. There are 25 exchanges in the district, only five (including Omagh & Enniskillen) have any LLU presence at all. I'm fortunate enough to be on one of the rural LLUs. The LLUs help push ADSL2+ products.

...there's probably other circumstances, but I can't remember them off the top of my head right now.

So is there any LGA in Britain that has a problem as big as we have in the FODC area? I'm thinking that some of the more isolated parts of Scotland in particular like the Western Isles would have similar problems and looking at ThinkBroadband's stats, while few have below a 2MB/s service it is also clear that a widespread Superfast provision of service is some way off (is there much outside of Stornaway?).

WWWombat

• Kitizen
Re: LGAs of sub-standard broadband provision
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 02:18:26 PM »

I remember looking at some of the details about NI in comparison with my county - North Yorkshire, which is the largest and one of the least populated counties in England.

I recall that there were some outcomes that highlighted big differences between NI and GB, which you partly alluded to:
- NI has a much greater percentage of properties dispersed in rural areas
- NI tends to have PCP cabinets that aren't that widely dispersed
- As a consequence, NI has a lot more properties on longer D-side lines than GB
- NI's first round of broadband subsidies resulted in lots of FTTC deployment, but was really targeting basic speeds.
- A widespread FTTC deployment therefore helped meet those aims.
- BDUK started later in GB than the first NI programme, but targetted superfast speeds ... and the deployment has done a fair job meeting targets.
- NI was relatively slow at getting a BDUK programme started that had superfast speed targets
- In GB, the main technique used (so far) to "top up" coverage targets has been to add PCPs for EO lines
- In NI, the main technique needed is to build more cabinets deeper into the network - all-in-one cabinets - or deploy FTTP instead.

Ironically, a very large percentage of NI lines qualify as "fibre" (according to TBB's "local" site, only 3.4% are not connected to fibre cabinets - which is lower than England at 5.8%, Wales at 8%, or Scotland at 11%). The real problem for NI is those long D-side lines ... so, while only 3.4% are not attached to fibre cabinets, nearly 17% of the lines that *are* connected to fibre cabinets cannot get superfast speeds (in England, the equivalent percentage is less than 3%).

The solution needed for NI is to send fibre deeper, adding deeper PCPs (as part of the all-in-one cabinets), so shortening the length of the D-side lines.

As this technique of sending fibre deeper into the network, and building all-in-one cabinets was pretty new, I suspect that not only did BDUK start late in NI, but it also progressed slowly. There must be a lot left to do...

I don't think the lack of LLU or 21CN provision really made much difference to the superfast provision. It will have meant a lot of short lines would not have benefitted from speeds in the 8-16Mbps region.

That description is pretty generic to the whole of rural NI, but to deal specifically with your area (though FODC didn't exist at the time I last looked), you need to compare with smaller districts than the whole of a county like North Yorkshire. Places like Harrogate and Scarborough skew the results for the sparse rural areas.

I recall making the following statement a couple of years ago:
At the smaller end of the scales, Ryedale district is comparable with Fermanagh in population and density, while the combination of Richmondshire, Craven and Hambleton matches with Tyrone.

The most-populated district of NY, Harrogate, matches fairly well with Armagh.

Between these two groups, population size-wise, North Yorkshire has an extra 2 districts that, combined, would match a second Armagh.

Looking again, it seems that Ryedale and Richmondshire districts both have populations of around 52,000. Both include significant areas of either the North Yorkshire Moors or the Yorkshire Dales.

If you look on TBB's "local" site again, the equivalent figures (Ryedale/Richmondshire) are:
- Cannot reach 30Mbps = 25% / 26%
- Cannot reach 24Mbps = 24% / 24%
- Cannot reach 10Mbps = 20% / 18%
- Cannot reach 2Mbps = 10% / 10%

I can't claim that these areas are the worst in England - I'd probably need to check parts of Cumbria, Northumberland, or Devon (esp Exmoor) before saying that.

In fact, the worst parts of England are, almost certainly, East Yorkshire and the city of Hull. Hull, and the surrounding areas within East Yorkshire, are supplied by KC. Their policy of a mainly-FTTP focussed deployment means, in coverage terms, these two districts are right at the bottom of the tables. They'll be amongst the best ... eventually.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 12:04:11 PM »

I read somewhere recently that the slowest average speeds in the UK are in Miserden village, Gloucestershire.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 10:10:20 PM »

The solution needed for NI is to send fibre deeper, adding deeper PCPs (as part of the all-in-one cabinets), so shortening the length of the D-side lines.

Not sure what you mean by deeper PCPs, but a all in one situated cabinet at 300 meters rather than the current FTTC & PCP cabinet 1000 meters away would give me something to smile about.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 02:20:20 PM »

Not sure what you mean by deeper PCPs, but a all in one situated cabinet at 300 meters rather than the current FTTC & PCP cabinet 1000 meters away would give me something to smile about.

That would be the kind of thing.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 03:16:54 PM »

Deploying PCP's deeper into the network was precisely one of the things that the NI Broadband Improvement project (https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/broadband-improvement-project) has been doing.

I think it's successor contract (to 2017) may have more of a FTTP focus.