Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Plusnet's new Community Forum  (Read 12431 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Plusnet's new Community Forum
« on: April 09, 2016, 01:17:20 PM »

Plusnet launched their new Community Forum on the 7th of April 2016.

The forums previously used to run on an old and now much outdated version of SMF1 software, but they have moved their database over to  Lithium forum software as used by many other corporate sites.

After launch, existing customers are advised to

After the new site is live you'll need to log on at https://community.plus.net with your current username, you'll then be prompted to reset your password. Once reset you'll be able to carry on posting as before. 

Unfortunately this process does not seem to have gone well for all and there appears to be an issue with some customers not receiving the reset password email. 
There appears to be a long delay in these emails being sent out, and by the time some of them do actually arrive, the token time has expired.

Customers are advised to check that they are using the correct email address and to check their spam folder in case it has gone in there first.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Plusnet's new Community Forum
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 01:22:32 PM »

I'm one of those who can't get access to the new forums.

Ive tried several times to request a reset password, but the email never arrives.   
I have checked my spam folder and doubled checked that I am using the right email address.   ie the same email address to where I got notifications to up until the 7th.

I also tried setting up a new account last night with a different email address.   That confirmation mail still hasn't turned up, so I can't even log in over there with a different name to advise that I'm having difficulties obtaining access.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Jaggies

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 01:40:36 PM »

I'm having the exact same problem here. I've tried registering a new account as well, but I still haven't received the confirmation email after over 20 minutes.

I wonder if there is either an automation failure, or some poor soul at Lithium working their way through mountains of requests manually?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 01:42:24 PM »

I had the unable to login problem, and then successfully used the forgot password link to get a new password.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 02:27:54 PM »

I got in eventually on the third email address I tried. All said they had sent something, but the first two didn't.

I really don't like the new forums, they are nothing like any others I use and are putting me off contributing as they are so clumsy to use (plus the bugs don't help).

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 02:37:45 PM »

I'm having the exact same problem here. I've tried registering a new account as well, but I still haven't received the confirmation email after over 20 minutes.

I wonder if there is either an automation failure, or some poor soul at Lithium working their way through mountains of requests manually?

I tried registering for a new account last night and still not received the confirmation mail.
It should be automated, so something seems to have gone wrong with Lithiums SMTP server [smtp2.Lithium.com] and the delay seems to be stacking up.

Since Lithium themselves appear to be handling the mail, rather than plusnet,  I wonder if there's some sort of strange SMTP tarpitting going on here. 
If so, then the more requests that are made, then the delays will gradually increase... until comes a point when mail comes to a standstill.
SMTP tarpits are supposed to stop outgoing spam, by gradually increasing delays.   
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 03:00:20 PM »

I really don't like the new forums, they are nothing like any others I use and are putting me off contributing as they are so clumsy to use (plus the bugs don't help).

From what Ive seen, it looks horrible:
  • I strongly dislike the use of what was the old brightspark logo flashing all over the place.   It is most distracting.
  • AV's on the summary thread looks dreadful, especially if the user has an animated gif. eg this It is extremely hard to digest any of the actual useful information.{Img1}
  • Far too much whitespace on the left hand side of posts by the user info. {Img2}

IMHO it looks unprofessional, more suited to a kids forum than a technical help forum due to the overuse of distracting images :( 

As regards to the rest, I just cannot get in to experience first hand any of the other bugs.
-----

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 03:08:55 PM »

One way once you get in to your old account using your new dummy account is to send a PM to your old account and see which email account the notification ends up in - then you can request the password reset to that account email address.

See discussion on TBB
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/f/4475313-plusnet-switches-over-to-shiny-new-community-forums.html?fpart=3&vc=1

The way I got in was be submerging the lithium servers with endless password reset requests to every single one of my email addresses and alias's and waiting to see which sole one got a reply: this was on the 7th morning.........so you can blame me!

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 03:37:03 PM »

Just reset my password, and the email came straight through.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 03:41:19 PM »

From what Ive seen, it looks horrible:
  • I strongly dislike the use of what was the old brightspark logo flashing all over the place.   It is most distracting.
  • AV's on the summary thread looks dreadful, especially if the user has an animated gif. eg this It is extremely hard to digest any of the actual useful information.{Img1}
  • Far too much whitespace on the left hand side of posts by the user info. {Img2}

IMHO it looks unprofessional, more suited to a kids forum than a technical help forum due to the overuse of distracting images :( 

As regards to the rest, I just cannot get in to experience first hand any of the other bugs.

sadly kitz its where we moving to :(

There is people with influence making large companies such as plusnet move to this sort of interface and also an over emphasis on making suitable for smartphone usage.  I prefer the approach taken here, where is forum optimised for desktop, but also with tapatalk support to allow easy use on phones.

An issue which I raised on plusnet's forum they now seem to have adopted bad advice from so called security experts to very aggressively logout sessions on the forum, to mitigate things like session hijacking which can be mitigated trivially via other means.

Although its turned out that desktop users are been logged out less aggressively, so even plusnet staff I think are now unsure how lithium have configured the software.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 03:48:54 PM »

Come back Usenet, all is forgiven.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 04:04:29 PM »

It seems to be working at the moment. Like Ronski, my reset email came through immediately.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 04:39:40 PM »

One way once you get in to your old account using your new dummy account is to send a PM to your old account and see which email account the notification ends up in - then you can request the password reset to that account email address.

I tried to set up a dummy account last night, but cant even log in with that as I don't have the confirmation mail yet to be able to post.

I should be using the correct email address, because I still have notifications saved in outlook which show which email account I used.   That was the first thing I checked :(
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 04:41:30 PM »

It seems to be working at the moment. Like Ronski, my reset email came through immediately.

Just tried again.   Not received anything as yet.  :(
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 04:50:00 PM »

I just had a look at my email logs for emails sent from their forum (notifications of replies to posts).

Looking for reasons why some email providers may mark as spam, greylist etc.
The sender ip is listed in dnswl.org a whitelist used to add providers who mass mail.

2016-04-09 06:17:38 [88055] 46.19.168.11 whitelisted in list.dnswl.org

So anyone using dnswl should get these emails without a problem.

Reverse DNS checks out ok.
Helo is good, SPF passes.
There is no valid DKIM meaning providers like yahoo may down score the emails.
Not in any RBL's.
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything