Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Has G.INP broken my broadband?  (Read 8103 times)

mikeb

Has G.INP broken my broadband?
« on: April 08, 2016, 11:44:42 PM »

I've been on FTTC (with talktalk) for 4 months without any issue. My line is 2km from the cabinet, and I was getting DL sync at 23MB, and upload at 2MB (on a 40/2 connection). I was happy with that. I'm using a Draytek 2760 modem/router. It has the latest firmware on, which is supposed to be fully aware of and compatible with G.INP. I've identified the cabinet, and it's an ECI.

Two weeks ago, my connection dropped overnight. The router would sit there 'training', for hours at a time, and not sync. Then, very occasionally, it would sync up at sensible speeds, but it wouldn't get an IP address, and the sync would be lost after a few minutes. I phoned talktalk, and after a bit of back and forth, they did a 'line test' and immediately told me that there was a fault on the line. Openreach engineer visited, tested the line to be spot on, and said his test equipment synced at 18MB down, 1.9MB up.

By the time he had come out, I had swapped out my Draytek modem for the talktalk supplied HG633. To my surprise, it synced up immediately, and I was back online. But the sync speeds were rubbish - DL was anywhere between 14 and 18MB, upload between 180kB and 0.5MB, and never any higher. Plus, there was lots of interleaving on DL (up to 2000), but none on UL. The Openreach engineer claimed he had done a reset on the line in terms of DLM, so it should have been syncing up at normal speeds again. Occasionally, the talktalk router will disconnect and reconnect almost immediately. At most this happens once per day.

I'm keen to get my upload speed back to something sensible (i.e. 2MB, like it used to be). A few times now, I've swapped back to the Draytek router. It syncs up and works fine for a day or so (interestingly about the same time the talktalk goes between disconnects). But when the Draytek drops the line, it won't seem to ever reconnect. The only thing that works is to swap over to the talktalk router (which instantly syncs the line back up), and leave that on for a day or so.

I've followed the Draytek guide to see if G.INP is enabled on my line, and according to their info, it is not (or maybe that means just not in use?). I think there might be an issue with the cabinet DSLAM, but the Openreach engineer said he didn't touch that side of things. He also said that his test equipment only gave him error stats on the DL side, and nothing more than sync rate for UL. They aren't trained to look at anything upload wise - if DL stats are good, then there can't be any kind of fault.

Or is it possible that G.INP has in fact been enabled on my cabinet, and there's some kind of issue with both the Draytek and the HG633 modems, and that aren't completely compatible with it (yet).

Talktalk HG633 stats:
DSL synchronization status:
Up
Connection status:
Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
Channel type:
Interleaved
DSL up-time:
1 day 16 hours 34 minutes 53 seconds

Draytek stats (from a few days ago):

ATU-R Information
Type: VDSL2
Hardware: Annex A
Firmware: 05-07-04-03-00-07
Power Mngt Mode: DSL_G997_PMS_L0
Line State: SHOWTIME
Running Mode: 17A
Vendor ID: b5004946 544e0000
ATU-C Information
Vendor ID: b5004946 544eb204 [IFTN]
Line Statistics

Downstream             Upstream
Actual Rate             19505 Kbps           1997 Kbps
Attainable Rate        24630 Kbps           2058 Kbps
Path Mode               Interleave             Interleave
Interleave Depth              817                   26
Actual PSD                  7. 6 dB                10. 1 dB
                               Near End                Far End
Trellis                           ON                        ON
Bitswap                        OFF                        ON
SNR Margin                   6 dB                        6 dB
Attenuation                 31 dB                      44 dB
CRC                             0                         11670
FECS                          9 s                         44699 s
ES                              0 s                         6070   s
SES                            0 s                            0 s
LOSS                          0 s                          3101   s
UAS                           52 s                        315209   s
HEC Errors                   0                                0
RS Corrections             0                                0
LOS Failure                  0                                0
LOF Failure                  0                                0
LPR Failure                   0                                0
NCD Failure                  0                                 0
LCD Failure                   0                                0
NFEC                          97                               64
RFEC                          16                               16
LYSMB                       613                              6536

Any ideas?

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Has G.INP broken my broadband?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 11:59:44 PM »

There's currently a rumour that Openreach have pulled the G.INP upgrade on ECI cabs due to problems.

Terranova667

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 12:21:11 AM »

Bob Pullen over on the Plusnet Forums has said that Openreach have removed G.INP on some ECI lines that had it enabled he believes to sort out issues with some like myself that are seeing a negative effect when it was enabled, looks like it may not have gone to plan as it did with the initial Huawei roll out. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 12:35:52 AM by Terranova667 »

atkinsong

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 06:59:43 AM »

My Draytek 2760 with firmware 3.8.1_VT2 has been running on an ECI cab for almost 3 weeks with G.INP enabled and reported without a single drop so I don't think there is anything wrong with the Draytek implementation of G.INP.

However I noticed from your stats that there is no ReTX setting reported, which should be present and showing either "1" if G.INP is turned on, or "0" if it's turned off. Are you running the firmware noted above?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 07:40:25 AM by atkinsong »
ISP:A&A, FTTP 160/30, Router Fritzbox 7530

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 08:33:22 AM »

My Draytek 2760 with firmware 3.8.1_VT2 has been running on an ECI cab for almost 3 weeks with G.INP enabled and reported without a single drop so I don't think there is anything wrong with the Draytek implementation of G.INP.

However I noticed from your stats that there is no ReTX setting reported, which should be present and showing either "1" if G.INP is turned on, or "0" if it's turned off. Are you running the firmware noted above?

Apologies for hijacking this thread :-[,I'm also very intrested in firmware 3.8.1_VT2 being used, so your using the  firmware 3.8.1_VT2 for Vigor 2925 series, it works & give you G.INP :o, I have a 2760n gathering dust, as they never released suitable firmware for G.INP for it.
Do you think  firmware 3.8.1_VT2 would work ok with it,& on a Huawei cabinet here.:dance::silly:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 08:45:49 AM by KIAB »

atkinsong

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 09:36:28 AM »

Looking at the Draytek downloads page, the latest firmware for the 2925 is 3.8.2.2. The latest for the 2760 is 3.8.1 which supports G.INP, providing the 2760 is one of the later ones (since sometime in 2014 I think) which runs Drayos.

The earlier 2760's run Version1.x.x.x firmware which I don't think supports G.INP. The hardware is the same but I believe the only way to upgrade from the non-Drays firmware to the Drayos version is to return the router to Draytek for them to upgrade.

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 10:03:14 AM »

Looking at the Draytek downloads page, the latest firmware for the 2925 is 3.8.2.2. The latest for the 2760 is 3.8.1 which supports G.INP, providing the 2760 is one of the later ones (since sometime in 2014 I think) which runs Drayos.

The earlier 2760's run Version1.x.x.x firmware which I don't think supports G.INP. The hardware is the same but I believe the only way to upgrade from the non-Drays firmware to the Drayos version is to return the router to Draytek for them to upgrade.

Going to have to send it back for upgrade. :(

Also got a Draytek 2750n running 1.5.4.1 firmware, another paperweight, no firmware for it with G.INP, wonder whether Draytek could upgrade it.

atkinsong

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 10:49:37 AM »

Their downloads page doesn't show any 3.x.x firmware available for the 2750 so I think that would be a no.

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 11:26:22 AM »

Their downloads page doesn't show any 3.x.x firmware available for the 2750 so I think that would be a no.

So annoying when perfectly good kit is consigned to the scrap heap, &  firms won't offer firmware updates & support products, it's only 4 or 5 years old like my HG612 & that has G.INP support. >:(

Time to put pen to paper & have a good moan at Draytek I think.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 11:31:04 AM by KIAB »

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 11:30:22 AM »

Bob Pullen over on the Plusnet Forums has said that Openreach have removed G.INP on some ECI lines that had it enabled he believes to sort out issues with some like myself that are seeing a negative effect when it was enabled, looks like it may not have gone to plan as it did with the initial Huawei roll out.

I called sky fibre pro team today to discuss the loss of my g.inp and for any further info..they didnt know anything about it...why am I not surprised.  :no:
Rinse,repeat,rinse,repeat....
This must be the 3rd time I have lost g.inp since my line was enabled..

mikeb

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 01:07:01 PM »

I thought I was running the lastest version, but justrealised I'm running the version before that - 3.7.8.2. It has the same modem code as 3.8.1, and the release notes say it's supposed to support G.INP. If I login via telnet and run some status commands it lists ReTX as 0. Which I think means G.INP isn't active on my line?

I'll try upgrading to the latest firmware and see if that helps.

MrBelter

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 01:18:19 PM »

There's currently a rumour that Openreach have pulled the G.INP upgrade on ECI cabs due to problems.

Hurrah! that will be why my connection has reverted to being all lovely again then.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 02:21:14 PM »

Two weeks ago, my connection dropped overnight. The router would sit there 'training', for hours at a time, and not sync. Then, very occasionally, it would sync up at sensible speeds, but it wouldn't get an IP address, and the sync would be lost after a few minutes.

This sounds exactly like the reason why they have suspended the roll-out on some cabs.

I'm using a Draytek 2760 modem/router.

Hmmm.   I seem to recall that it had problems with g.inp on the Huawei cabs and Draytek had to roll out new firmware.  :hmm:

ATU-C Information

Thank you for that.  Think this may have just blown one theory

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mikeb

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 03:07:18 PM »

Two weeks ago, my connection dropped overnight. The router would sit there 'training', for hours at a time, and not sync. Then, very occasionally, it would sync up at sensible speeds, but it wouldn't get an IP address, and the sync would be lost after a few minutes.

This sounds exactly like the reason why they have suspended the roll-out on some cabs.

I'm using a Draytek 2760 modem/router.

Hmmm.   I seem to recall that it had problems with g.inp on the Huawei cabs and Draytek had to roll out new firmware.  :hmm:

ATU-C Information

Thank you for that.  Think this may have just blown one theory

I think the Draytek/Huawei G.INP problem was resolved with a firmware update quite some time ago, some users certainly reported that it is fine with G.INP now (presumably they were all on Huawei cabs, only very recently is G.INP appearing on ECI). But you'd think there wouldn't be any issue there as both Draytek modems and ECI cabinets are using Lantiq chipsets?

What does my 204 cabinet mean, relative to 206? Is that the firmware version of the DSLAM? Is G.INP on 204, or only on 206?

I've upgraded my Draytek to the latest firmware (although it's still using the same modem code, so I'm not expecting much difference). ReTX is now listed in the web interface, and is zero both up and down. It's connected, and these are the current line stats:

ATU-R Information
           Type:   VDSL2
           Hardware:   Annex A
           Firmware:   05-07-04-03-00-07
           Power Mngt Mode:   DSL_G997_PMS_L0
           Line State:   SHOWTIME
           Running Mode:   17A
           Vendor ID:   b5004946 544e0000
ATU-C Information
          Vendor ID:   b5004946 544eb204 [IFTN]
Line Statistics

Downstream                   Upstream               
Actual Rate                            19410   Kbps       1724   Kbps
Attainable Rate                     22439   Kbps         1815   Kbps
Path Mode                         Interleave                   Fast
Interleave Depth                          283                      1
Actual PSD                                 7. 6   dB          10. 2   dB
                                  Near End                    Far End                   
Trellis                                         ON                    ON
Bitswap                                   OFF                       ON
ReTx                                          0                0   
SNR Margin                                  6   dB          6   dB
Attenuation                                 31   dB           44   dB
CRC                                          0                   11896
FECS                                        1799   s          46091   s
ES                                            0   s            6200   s
SES                                           0   s           0   s
LOSS                                           0   s          3488   s
UAS                                           29   s        333900   s
HEC Errors                                  0                     0
RS Corrections                             0                     0
LOS Failure                                   0                     0
LOF Failure                                   0                     0
LPR Failure                                   0                     0
NCD Failure                                   0                     0
LCD Failure                                   0                     0
NFEC                                          70                    85
RFEC                                          16                    16
LYSMB                                  567                   6009

If I'm reading those right, the near end is showing downstream errors, and far end upstream? So it's the upstream stats that look bad to me. But why do I have interleaving on the DS, and Fastpath on US? What could be giving me figures like these, I presume they're not normal? I don't remember what they were like before I was having problems, but I don't think there was anything large like that. The line has only been up/in sync for 30 minutes, does it start from zero with each reconnect, or does the Draytek store those stats in nvram and resume each time? If so, is there a way to reset them?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 04:10:39 PM »

Im not familiar with the Draytek, but if I am reading those stats right then:

ReTx      0                0

0 could show on/off state or it could be a retransmit counter.
If it is a counter then I'd expect at some point to see a figure in the downstream.
From your latest stats, it looks like the line is interleaved rather than g.inp

What does my 204 cabinet mean, relative to 206? Is that the firmware version of the DSLAM? Is G.INP on 204, or only on 206?

I dont know whats going on and was trying to look for a pattern.   
I have not looked at line stats extensively, but up until I saw yours those which had been delayed or rolled back were on IFTN:0xb206

I note that when you put the Draytek on in your first post,  you suddenly get upstream Interleaving, yet its off when using the HG633. This almost implies that your Draytek was displaying similar behaviour to the what they first did when on Mk1 G.INP.

If I'm reading those right, the near end is showing downstream errors, and far end upstream?

It looks like Near End is downstream.  Upstream error counts are often buffered by the DSLAM, so survive a resync.
I find it odd that your upstream attenuation is more than your downstream, although I cant see which bands are in use, which is why I hesitated for a moment.

Since you put the new firmware on, it seems to be behaving more like it should do in the upstream at least.
I'm beginning to suspect that the f/w you previously had on was NOT G.INP compatible which is why you had problems getting PPP.

IF you are on g.inp,  then modems that have no g.inp compatibility at all will experience issues with PPP.

The Openreach engineer claimed he had done a reset on the line in terms of DLM,

This will probably be why you now have downstream Interleaving rather than G.inp.   Resetting DLM causes g.inp to be removed and Interleaving applied.   It should right itself in time.

Quote from: Openreach
If a line is reset then it will initially move back to interleaved downstream and fast mode upstream. Retransmission will be applied again after a few days.

Ive looked at your stats to the point where Im now going bog-eyed..  but the more I look, the more Im convincing myself that this was related to the Draytek firmware previously not supporting g.inp.

I also suspect that g.inp hasnt been removed because of the roll-out suspension, but more to do with the DLM reset performed by the engineer.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: [1] 2