Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Broadcom based modem to bridge to my router  (Read 13790 times)

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
New Broadcom based modem to bridge to my router
« on: February 12, 2016, 09:06:10 AM »

I have a 'difficult' phone line, with help from some cool people on these forums I was recently able to confirm that my phone line is poor quality and containing a lot of non-copper (aluminium?). Although vDSL is now available in my area and on my exchange I decided not to upgrade due to the these issues as the predicted rates are actually lower than my ADSL 2+ connection.

I use a Billion 7800N as a modem bridged to an Asus AC68U router for my ADSL 2+ but I have had some recent issues suggesting my Billion 7800N is maybe showing signs of age and I want to replace it with a newer, better performing  modem. I am currently using my 'backup' a TP-Link TD-W8980, with the latest firmware the problems I previously encountered seem to have been resolved and it is doing OK (for my line) :

So I am looking for a bridge modem :
  • Broadcom chipset (latest/best is the BCM63168?)
  • Act as bridge to my AC68U
  • Don't need any fancy features / wireless / switch just a really good bridge/modem
  • Capability to upgrade to vDSL in the future if I move or my line improves

I don't mind paying for the best modem and connection performance so budget is flexible, no problem buying a router and disabling the wireless etc if thats what it takes.  I get the impression from these forums that the ZyXEL VMG8324-B10A is favoured.  It looks from the reviews that this would marginally outperform the Huawei HG612 3b in my situation - does this sound right?

EDIT : I just noticed the Netgear D7000 and the Billion 8800NL also feature the same chipset as the Zyxel - is there much to choose between them as a bridge modem?

There seems to be a relatively small number of modems / routers using this chipset now as I guess most people are switching to FTTC based solutions.

Are there any other better or more suitable options people can suggest?

Regards

Chunks  :cool:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 09:16:44 AM by Chunkers »

PhilipD

• Reg Member
Re: New Broadcom based modem to bridge to my router
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 12:45:44 PM »

Hi

If it is Broadcom based and new (i.e. not had chance to degrade with use over the months and years), then they all tend to be very similar in performance.  That's not to say you may find one that works better on your line than another, but that same one may be worse for someone else.  So your only option is try one and see it how it fairs.

The ZyXEL is fairly unique as it has an extra noise filter, now this is essentially a long piece of wire wrapped around in a coil, so on a long line it might reduce your sync speed, as you've made that long line a little longer, but then it may be more stable and sync higher if the noise on your line is the type it tackles.  I think the fact no expense is spared on the ZyXEL to include that filter (most do not), then I assume they've built it to a slightly better quality overall, and most seem to find it does very well.

I would avoid the Netgear D7000, internally the construction is stripped to the bone and done to a budget a lot lower than the price it sells at, mainly because you are paying for the Wi-Fi spec and bragging rights, which you wouldn't be using.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Phil

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 01:23:39 PM »

i use the 8800nl as a bridge its small and cheap,  the problem is it's now discontinued

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 01:49:18 PM »

Thanks for the replies, I have also read mixed reviews for the D7000 so I will probably avoid it.  It seems surprisingly hard to find a BCM63168 based router and I spotted a ZyXEL VMG8324-B10A advertised as 'new' for £45 on ebay so I got itchy fingers and snapped it up :)

It seems like both the ZyXEL VMG8324-B10A and the 8800NL are discontinued although the 8800NL seems to be available on Amazon UK quite cheaply. Zyxel's new line-up don't seem to get very favourable reviews tbh

This would appear to leave people who want a BCM63168 very short of options.

I like the fact that there are a lot of peeps on here using the ZyXEL and there appears to be plenty of firm-wares to choose from so I will give it a go.

Still interested in whether there are better options though......

Thanks for the help!

Chunks

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 01:58:22 PM »

i use the 8800nl as a bridge its small and cheap,  the problem is it's now discontinued

The Billion BiPAC 8800NL isn't discontinued. It's still available.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 02:25:53 PM »

Weaver gets good results from his D-Link modems, but I don't know if they're Broadcom chipset.  Seem to work well on a long line though.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 03:17:34 PM »

It seems surprisingly hard to find a BCM63168 based router and I spotted a ZyXEL VMG8324-B10A advertised as 'new' for £45 on ebay so I got itchy fingers and snapped it up :)

Until I read this, I was going to suggest just getting a cheap ADSL2+ modem which tends to work well on long/aluminium lines such as the BT 2 Wire..

However, all VDSL modems on sale in the UK should support ADSL2+ as well - its part of Openreach's minimum spec for them to to connected to their network - and then by the time you decide to move to a fibre connection, newer chipsets and models will have been released (perhaps suporting G.Fast as well)

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 03:36:29 PM »

Although all VDSL2 modems that I can think of do also support ADSL2+, the entire ADSL2+ section of BT SIN 498 is marked as optional (and also, there seems to have been a bit too much copy and paste used for the ADSL2+ section of SIN 498, since it refers to upstream retransmission, which is not part of G.998.4 for ADSL2+).

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 03:46:12 PM »

Until I read this, I was going to suggest just getting a cheap ADSL2+ modem which tends to work well on long/aluminium lines such as the BT 2 Wire..

No worries, I jumped the gun but I'm pretty sure I can dispose of it on ebay again if I need to at a small loss or donate it to a family member.

I am away on business atm and ultimately I just want something there when I get home, if it doesn't work out i will be going back to the TP-Link and trying something else!

Chunks

G.DMT

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 06:47:06 PM »

As it happens I am now facing a similar situation myself.
I also run my modems in bridge mode with  PPP/Firewall on a separate router.

The Billion 7800N Bipac that I have been using for the last couple of years just
failed, refusing to sync to the exchange so I am temporarily using a spare TP-Link TD-W8970

I also have a rural, long, slow, troublesome noisy line and the Billion has been By Far the best modem I have tested on it.

So I also would prefer another good Broadcom chipset for its great ADSL1 performance
- and sadly that was not a typo. :-(
with the possibility to also work with FTTC - if we ever get a cabinet installed.

I too have noted that the zyxel has had a good reception here on Kitz.
And would be interested to give it a try.

One feature that I would not like to lose would be the Billions GUI inteface which allows to adjust the SNR
a little which I have used on occasion to 'bump up' sync speed just enough to get into the next speed band.

So I have two questions:

1) Can user of the newer Billion 8800 reassure me that this feature still exists?[1]
(If not i would consider ebay for a used 7800N)

2) Can users of the zyxel tell me if I can adjust SNR easily?*

Please feel free to also comment with other suggestions- all useful contributions gratefully received.
:-)

[1]  see 'hidden' feature at: http://x.x.x.x/snr.cgi

*yes I know I can telnet to the command line and enact the correct incantation via the broadcom binary to poke at the chipset settings, but this does not meet the general users definition of 'user friendly' and AFAIUI is not persistent across reboot/power cycle.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 07:06:02 PM by G.DMT »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 04:50:29 AM »

Weaver gets good results from his D-Link modems, but I don't know if they're Broadcom chipset.  Seem to work well on a long line though.

The DLink DSL-320B-Z1 modems are very good on an ultra-long ADSL1 line, very aggressive and tenacious. They do not meet your spec as they don't speak VDSL2, and are not Broadcom devices (MediaTek SoC I think). My line is 4.55 miles, 65 dB d/s attn. Strongly recommended. Cheap (~£20).

How to obtain one: AA shop - See below. Must only be used in bridge modem mode, never in router mode, as they are supposed to be diabolical routers, but no prob as a persistent config option will make this go away.

Buy them from the AAISP shop (available to non-AA users):
    http://aa.net.uk/broadband-accessories.html
preconfigured in modem-only mode, so nothing to do.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 05:00:08 AM by Weaver »

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 11:18:01 AM »

The DLink DSL-320B-Z1 modems are very good on an ultra-long ADSL1 line, very aggressive and tenacious. They do not meet your spec as they don't speak VDSL2, and are not Broadcom devices (MediaTek SoC I think). My line is 4.55 miles, 65 dB d/s attn. Strongly recommended. Cheap (~£20).

How to obtain one: AA shop - See below. Must only be used in bridge modem mode, never in router mode, as they are supposed to be diabolical routers, but no prob as a persistent config option will make this go away.

Buy them from the AAISP shop (available to non-AA users):
    http://aa.net.uk/broadband-accessories.html
preconfigured in modem-only mode, so nothing to do.

At this price it might make a good backup to my backup, I might hover on evil-bay and look for one, thanks for the post!

Chunks

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 11:22:01 AM »

Don't let the low price fool you, they're the best performers I've ever tried on my 65 dB line. And the AA shop does the setup for you (essential).

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 11:24:59 AM »

Found this :

Is this the same model?

love a bargain .... can't help myself

Chunks

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 11:39:23 AM »

The "321" listing was I thought a typo but although the pictures are very very bad, I think I can make out 321 in one of them. So stay away from the 321, who knows what it is. Mind you, what's there to lose?

Given the fact it won't work properly until it's been configured correctly, I would stick with the AA shop, saves you time and grief.
Pages: [1] 2

anything