Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Google to pay tax  (Read 1964 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Google to pay tax
« on: January 22, 2016, 10:45:56 PM »

But just a tiny, tiny, pittance of their UK business. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35381130

Is it just me, or is the Google spokesman in the BBC clip trying hard, and failing at times, to suppress a giggle at how stupid he thinks we all are? 

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: Google to pay tax
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 12:07:01 AM »

HMRC doing public crackdowns which are all resulting in very small partial payouts a fraction of what should be due.

Either its a publicity stunt they doing to assure people they clamping down, or its a strategy akin to "one step at a time" as I guess if a government tried to be agressive these companies would threaten to leave the uk altogether.

The only real solution to this is if a worldwide agreement came to play that got rid of tax hideaways and forcing companies to pay tax on sales in the country they take place instead of where they registered.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 12:36:24 AM »

In fairness to Google, they are only doing what any thinking company or person would do... They are looking for ways, within the law, to minimise the tax that they pay.  Many of us do exactly that, for example  balancing pension contributions/withdrawals, or even charitable donations, etc,  against tax.

The real fault lies with governments that set the legislation, that leaves gaping loopholes open.  But even that's not so easy, as closing loopholes encourages Google and the likes to base themselves elsewhere, a big loss to the economy.

If they came clean and said "Yeah we've hired skilful lawyers and they've found an angle and beat the UK system", then I would begrudgingly respect them, and respect their lawyers too.  But it is the pretence of 'decency' that bugs me, especially when the Google spokesman just can't stop smirking. >:(

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 07:52:52 AM »

The government has taken some action with the ''diverted profits tax'', in place since April -

It imposes a punitive 25% tax on groups deemed to be artificially routing profits overseas.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/may/23/amazon-to-begin-paying-corporation-tax-on-uk-retail-sales

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 04:19:14 PM »

Is it just me, or is the Google spokesman in the BBC clip trying hard, and failing at times, to suppress a giggle at how stupid he thinks we all are? 

It appears at times that he is smirking.  :no:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 06:37:17 PM »

well yeah they know they getting away with murder.